Re: Anyone ever back up Solaris NNM 9i and Restore to Red Hat LINUX (299 Views)
Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 1 of 4 (330 Views)

Anyone ever back up Solaris NNM 9i and Restore to Red Hat LINUX

I know this is not supported by HP but my production environment is moving from Solaris 10 to Red Hat LNUX OS.  I am running 9.1 PL4 with Postgres database.  Has anyone had any luck running a nnmbackup on one OS and running a nnmrestore to a different OS.  I have not had much luck with nnmexport/import but have had great success with nnmbackup on Solaris.  I would hate to have to start from scratch on new OS.

HP Expert
Walinton
Message 2 of 4 (299 Views)

Re: Anyone ever back up Solaris NNM 9i and Restore to Red Hat LINUX

Hello,

I haven't done that because as you mentioned, it is not officially supported.

I know that most problems happen when copying the filesystem from one OS to the other

My guess is that, since the Postgres database engine version is the same in both installations (confirm with /opt/OV/nonOV/Postgres/bin/pg_config --version) and the result of nnmbackupembdb.ovpl is a Postgres format file, you could try moving the database tables with nnmbackupembdb.ovpl and nnmrestoreembdb.ovpl. At the end of the day, most of the data you need its on the DB itself. If you follow this, you will need to do some certificates entry cleanup in the destination server tables because the certificates are unique and generated during install time.

Unless someone in the Forum has already tested this and have further input, I believe you will need to give it a try and see how it goes. Good luck.

Regards,

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 3 of 4 (284 Views)

Appreciate the feedback,  I will attempt this in my test environment

Valued Contributor
pafreire
Message 4 of 4 (273 Views)

Hello David,

If NNMi commands didn't work, try to use pg_dump and pg_restore directly.

If nothing works, you can get at least the NNMi configuration using nnmconfigexport.ovpl command.

HTH

Paulo

“The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.”
Bertrand Russell
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.