Re: EX490 Recovery Disc (1283 Views)
Advisor
Message 26 of 60 (1,473 Views)

Re: EX490 Recovery Disc

Can you see your server on your network? How is your server and your Pc's for that matter getting their IP addresses? Fixed or DHCP?

Assuming everything is plugged into an ethernet router log on to the router to see if you see all your devices.

Tom

Occasional Advisor
Message 27 of 60 (1,468 Views)

MR G.

scroll up and read my post after walter and READ it Carefully...it will give you a CLUE on how to get yer server started and Seen....mine was a PITA as well...but after fiddling with it and harrassing TOM and JEFF....i got it to work..so DO NOT Give UP easily...HP are always a PAIN :)   but it WILL work...unless there is a Hardware issue...and i'm betting you don't have that Issue :)

these 2 guys are THE BEST...and i'm a tech...so yer in good hands... just watch out for jeff...he smiles alot (not sure why)...LOL

Daniel.

VoicesFYC.

Visitor
Message 28 of 60 (1,456 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Tom,

No, I cannot see the server on my network. The ethernet port on the back of the server is blinking as if there is activity there but when I log into my router (running Tomato using DCHP), it says there is nothing connected to that physical port.

The PC (Windows 7) is using an auto IP, not static. If it's relevant, I log into my router using 192.168.1.x.  Is it possible the previous ownder perhaps set up  the server with a different subnet?

I"ve tried resetting the router but no luck. Still solid read health port.

Thanks for your reply as well Daniel. I'm hoping to avoid the full reinstall if possible but will keep your post in mind if I have to go that route.

Thanks.

Visitor
Message 29 of 60 (1,446 Views)

Well this is embarrassing. Followed the directions to reinstall OS, which ultimately  failed because there is no drive in the unit! Seller told me 1tb drive was intact but I didn't check and now see all four bays are empty. **bleep**.

Occasional Advisor
Message 30 of 60 (1,441 Views)

well hell...thats easy to fix :)

try this at Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148912&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL022014&cm_mmc=EMC-IG...

have fun :)

Good Luck.

Daniel.

VoicesFYC.

Occasional Visitor
Message 31 of 60 (1,368 Views)

hi tom i know this is cheeky but do u still have ur cds and your ex490 if so could you please do me a copy i dont mind paying plz let me know asap ty 

Occasional Visitor
Message 32 of 60 (1,284 Views)

Do you know whether the server recovery disk will work with a EX470 as well?  Seems I have all the disks except for the server recovery disk.. thanks

Highlighted
Advisor
Message 33 of 60 (1,283 Views)

Hi,

I have no idea if the recovery disc will work with an EX470. If I were you, I'd just try it and see. The process should be the same. I'm sorry I cannot be more difinitive than that.

Tom

Occasional Visitor
Message 34 of 60 (915 Views)

Tom,

Thank you , Thank you for your recovery disks!!!!

My 5 year old EX495 bit the dust the other day. Luckly I backed the family photos that where on it, to the cloud, but I ripped some DVDs to it, and the kids where use to watching some of their shows.....anyways....

My HP disks where long gone, and Google searching, I found I needed thoses disks to get the server back up and going.

I came across this forum, downloaded the disks. Replaced the system hard drive in the server, and as able to recover the server and still have the data on the other drives in tact!

Just finished this an hour ago.

Awesome!

Advisor
Message 35 of 60 (782 Views)

Hi Tom, I hope you are still reading this page.

I have the dreaded flashing blue health light problem and I'm only two days into getting help. I am in the process of downloading your discs and hope I can burn them - I tried getting the WHS disc from Microsoft but damned if I could burn it onto a dvd and  get it to a bootable disc that worked. What software do you use?

Unfortunately the first page of your info file, the zip with instructions and scans, doesn't appear to respond. Is their any way you could repost it.

Many thanks, John

Advisor
Message 36 of 60 (774 Views)

Advisor
Message 37 of 60 (759 Views)

Many thanks for such a swift reply. I suspect I'll be back:-)

Advisor
Message 38 of 60 (750 Views)

Tom, I know this will appear silly but I've had problems burning ISO images. I downloaded the MS Windows Home Server iso from their site and it failed to produce a bootable disc. I used several makes of software and none succeeded.

I read on another site that if the boot didn't work just use the .exe file but there are no .exe files on your downloads. Am I missing something as burning an .ios file should be so easy.

Cheers, John

Advisor
Message 39 of 60 (749 Views)

Also, after 4.1gb of downloading the Server recovery file it has failed, for the second time. Is there a limit on Google?

Occasional Visitor
Message 40 of 60 (734 Views)

johnrxx99 wrote:

Tom, I know this will appear silly but I've had problems burning ISO images. I downloaded the MS Windows Home Server iso from their site and it failed to produce a bootable disc. I used several makes of software and none succeeded.

I read on another site that if the boot didn't work just use the .exe file but there are no .exe files on your downloads. Am I missing something as burning an .ios file should be so easy.

Cheers, John

I like using ImgBurn - http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html - try the "Direct Download Link" - it's free and you have to be careful you don't download other programs.  It has worked great for me.  Please let me know if anyone has a better suggestion.

Occasional Visitor
Message 41 of 60 (731 Views)

johnrxx99 wrote:

Also, after 4.1gb of downloading the Server recovery file it has failed, for the second time. Is there a limit on Google?

Try again...mine just downloaded successfully...It's a large file.

Occasional Advisor
Message 42 of 60 (711 Views)

ELLO BOYS AND GIRLS :D

a Wee Tad Info ..since tom forgot to drink his coffee  & jeff is lost somewhere playing in his Caddy :D

software to burn ISO images - MAGIC ISO works Perfect :)   it's how i made my server disks :)

if you keep having issues keep at it..it took a few trys to get the image downloaded :)

(see you thought i was lost and wasn't watching... put the candy crush down jeffery )  :D

VoicesFYC.

Advisor
Message 43 of 60 (704 Views)

Well, this time it failed again, twicw, when it got to 4.3GB. Very frustarting as it takes about 2 hours. I'm in the Philippines.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Advisor
Message 44 of 60 (685 Views)

The CD burner software you use HAS to be able to burn ISO images. I use Nero but there are free ones out there. I googled "iso image burner free" and got tons of hits.

Tom

Advisor
Message 45 of 60 (679 Views)

I don't think there is a file size limit on Google. If there were, it would probably be around 5 GB. This file is smaller than that. Other people have downloaded and created the CDs from these files.

For the heck of it, i uploaded a ZIP file version of the PCrestore disk ISO file to Dropbox

here  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h17abh1fsjwdwbz/AABthrLd35vt-O4uRIcB6S8ka?dl=0

See if that works any better.

Tom

Advisor
Message 46 of 60 (656 Views)

Hi Tom, happy new year to you and all.

I've downloaded all of your file OK, it's just the big one causing problems, which ironically is the one I need.

Having slightly recover from last night I'm ready to start trying again. I'm slightly more relaxed as I've been able to read the files on all the drives other than the system disc, so I can copy most of my data with a few new dirves.

I'll update later and again, thanks so much for your help.

Advisor
Message 47 of 60 (640 Views)

Happy New Year and hope last night was a good one.

Well, 5 downloads later, all failing at 4.3gb, I don't know what to do.

Tom I know I'm asking a lot but could you upload the Server Recovery disk .iso alone just in case somehow it has been corrupted.

Many thanks, John

Advisor
Message 48 of 60 (627 Views)

I'm uploading the server Recovery disk ISO to Dropbox right now. It's 4.49 GB so it will take some time. I'll post the link whan Dropbox is done with the upload.

Tom

Advisor
Message 49 of 60 (605 Views)

Many thanks Tom, you're a gent.

Occasional Advisor
Message 50 of 60 (594 Views)

OK FOLKS,

after killing half a day yesterday  uploading my server cd's and all the stuff TOM and Jeff helped me get for my EX490....now i'm returning the Favor to anyone who needs it :)   

i ASK ONE favor...if you download the files from my Google Drive....PLEASE FIRST sign up for a Google Drive then Transfer the Files to YOUR Google Drive.... that helps keep the transfer times down and everyone gets it Easier...and When You Sign Up For Your Google Drive ...Just Use Me as  Referal :)   Thank You :)

Here's the Direct Google Drive Folder Link For the EX490 Server Disks & Manuals :)

Tom & Jeff...Make Sure Ya Copy The Link :)

Cheers Folks :)

and Happy New Year & Good Luck :)

Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8M2VLx7aGxlUEhXY1R5cTdrTlk&usp=sharing

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.