scanner failure (246 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chuck12065
Message 1 of 16 (246 Views)

scanner failure

When I try to use the automatic document feeder for scanning, I get a message that there is a scanner failure. The scanner works when I use the standard glass top scan. HP Officejet 7310 All-in-one
Valued Contributor
Kanna_1
Message 2 of 16 (246 Views)

Re: scanner failure

Hi Chuck,

Try performing the following steps

Step1: Follow the steps below to power cycle your all-in-one:

1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug in the power cable only.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times.
5. On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the cable from the all-in-one to your computer.
6. Now check the functionality.

Step 2:

1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on and wait for 20 seconds.

2. Then, press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord.

Continue holding until it displays Semi Full Reset message in the front panel of the All-in-One.

Now try to copy...

Thanks & Regards

Kanna

Occasional Visitor
Chuck12065
Message 3 of 16 (246 Views)

Failed again - has a wishing noise, like something failed - a gear or belt
Valued Contributor
Kanna_1
Message 4 of 16 (246 Views)

Hi Chuck

Sorry to hear that....

Try with the following steps

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00222165&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R...

Thanks & Regards

Kanna
Occasional Visitor
Chuck12065
Message 5 of 16 (246 Views)

Worker once and then got the "rrrrrrrrrr" sound again and the scanner failure message. The document stops part way into the feeder - ?when the scanner is supposed to start the actual scan and the scanner fails?
Valued Contributor
Kanna_1
Message 6 of 16 (246 Views)

Hi Chuck,

Let me explain you the cause...

A dirty or blurry scanner glass may cause a deficient scanning quality or even a Scanner failure message on the unit monochrome display warning about the unit being unable to complete the initialization process.

You can try with the following steps...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00498704

If the issue still persists contact HP and they will replace the All-in-One if the All-in-One is under warranty

Thanks & Regards

Kanna
Occasional Visitor
Chuck12065
Message 7 of 16 (246 Views)

The scanner glass is completely clean. I put a document in the feeder and started copying. The document went in part way - while I opened the lid. The scanner only went about 4-5 inches and then stopped with the "whrrrr" sound. Got the scanner failure message again. The scanner work properly when I put the copy on the glass, but only fails when I am using the feeder.
Valued Contributor
Kanna_1
Message 8 of 16 (246 Views)

Hi Chuck,

We have tried with all the possible steps....

The issue is with the hardware and the All-in-One needs to be replaced....Try contacting HP to see whether the All-in-One is in Warranty so that you can get the free replacement

Thanks & Regards

Kanna
Occasional Visitor
Craig Menning
Message 9 of 16 (246 Views)

The exact same is happening to me:

- The page feeds from the ADF until the leading edge is at the glass.
- The scan light then makes the same "Wrrrrr!" noise that Chuck is describing and very quickly (faster than the light normally moves) advances 6-8 inches toward the paper.
- The message "Scanner failure" is shown on the screen. Powering off the All-In-One and powering it back on is required to use the device after that.
Occasional Visitor
Patrick Piccolo
Message 10 of 16 (246 Views)

Same exact issue here with my 7310 all in one. I can copy if the source is on the glass, but if I use the sheet feeder, the paper loads to the start point and the scanner LED bar starts to zoom across the glass creating the rrrrrrr sound Chuck mentioned. About halfway across the glass, it stops cold. This is promptly followed by the 'scanner failure' message. Obviously this isn't a showstopper for copying but makes faxing multipage documents nearly impossible.

Since it has no problem moving the LED bar at the slow pace needed for normal scanning, my hunch is that the problem has to do with trying to move the LED bar quickly to the opposite side of the glass. Maybe a minor alignment issue that is easy to overcome at slow speeds but creates too much resistance at the high speed... or maybe a question of lubrication... just some ideas... hopefully you guys at HP can come up with a workable solution.
Occasional Visitor
sprime
Message 11 of 16 (246 Views)

Exact problem I'm having. I hope HP will take some accountability seeing that this is a common problem.
Occasional Visitor
David.Heck
Message 12 of 16 (246 Views)

I have the same problem. Is there a hardware "fix" / replacement available? My unit is past the one-year warrantee - although this looks like it is a common fault. (?Design / materials / manufacuring)
Not knowing what is happening and why makes me very leery about buying another if they are this subject to failure.

Thanks,
Dave
Occasional Visitor
Chuck12065
Message 13 of 16 (246 Views)

Now I'm getting periodic scanner failure when I try to copy documents.
Occasional Visitor
sprime
Message 14 of 16 (246 Views)

I haven't had the 7310 for 1.5 years and the whole thing has come apart at the seams.
Rhi
Occasional Visitor
Rhi
Message 15 of 16 (246 Views)

I have the exact same problem. My cousin did also.

I've read some postings on the net that report if you take it all apart and clean everything (glass, belts, etc.) it will work but I'd be very careful or you can end up with a boat anchor, at least mine will print at the moment.
Occasional Visitor
David W N Sharp
Message 16 of 16 (246 Views)

Same for me. My Auto document feeder will no longer work as the scanner jsut goes whrrrr... then I have to power cyle.

But now the same whirring noise is happening even when I try to scan using the flat bed scanner ...

This is a design or manufacturing defect...
please let me know how to resolve this problem. Thank you.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.