"c:\program files\HP" Folder opens on boot (671 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ken_270
Message 1 of 11 (671 Views)
Accepted Solution

"c:\program files\HP" Folder opens on boot

Can someone please help me. When I boot into Windows XP pro a folder opens with 5 sub folders and a text file. I think the HP software is trying to excecute something but is failing.

I have tried re-installing the drivers for the 6210. I have taken out all entries in the Startup folder nad I even looked at the Registry...(there's a lot of entries in there so I left it all alone!!!

[screen shot attached]

This is such an annoying bug and I would appriciate a solution. Thanks.

Ken
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 2 of 11 (671 Views)

Re: "c:\program files\HP" Folder opens on boot

Hi Ken,

Perform the following steps:

1. Click Start and select Run.
2. Type MSCONFIG and press Enter.
3. System Configuration Utility window is displayed.
3. Click the Startup tab.
4. Clear the checkboxes of the files starting or containing the word "hp" from System Configuration Utility.
5. Click OK.
6. Restart the system.

All the best!
Chadnan.
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ken_270
Message 3 of 11 (671 Views)

Thanks for your reply Chadnan,

Unfortunately, it does nor work! Any other suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 4 of 11 (671 Views)

Hi Ken,

You need to uninstall and reinstall the HP software.
How did you uninstall the software?
Uninstall using Software Removal Utility

Download the utility and install it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en〈=en&cc=us&os=228&product=421991&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-24061-2

Thanks,
Chandan.
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ken_270
Message 5 of 11 (671 Views)

Thanks again,
i have uninstalled, but initailly via the control panel.

I will try the method you advise...and get back to the you via this forum.

Ken
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ken_270
Message 6 of 11 (671 Views)

Hi Chandan,

Great it worked!

But I think this might have something to do with a file called "fwdl.exe" - This file is in a line "c:\Prgram Files\HP LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe"

I did not untick this option at first becasue I assumed it related to my HP LJ 1000!

Anyway, It's been unticked now...I also ran the recommended de-installer...(four times to complete the process) and Bingo! All is well again.

Thanks once more for your help
Regards,
Ken

BTW. Do you know what fwdl.exe is supposed to do? There is little info on the net and one site even tried to suggest that it might be a trojan! I'm sure this line has been on my system for at least a year and non of my security systems have questioned it.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 7 of 11 (671 Views)

Hi Ken,

That's great!! Glad to know that it worked.

Yes ken, it should be unchecked.

Thanks,
Chandan.
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sjohnso5
Message 8 of 11 (671 Views)

The following fix worked for me. I have installed both and HP LJ1000 and HPLJ3030 and am running Windows XP Pro, SP 2.

Open the Registry and browse to the following entry:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Edit the string named: hp 1000 firmware.

Place double quotes around the data so that:

C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe

becomes

"C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe"

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bonecrkr
Message 9 of 11 (671 Views)

I had the exact same problem. I have the HP laserjet 1000 and a new HP all-in-one officejet pro L7780 installed. I spent 8-10 hours on the phone with HP support and that was a complete waste of time. They told me it was a windows issue and I needed to contact Microsoft. Complete IDIOTS! What I don't understand is why putting quotes around C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe , was able to fix the C:\Program Files\HP folder from popping up at startup? It did work, but I don't understand why it did. I was putting quotes around any entry that began with C:\Program Files\HP, and that didn't work at all. Can anyone explain that?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bryan MacBurney
Message 10 of 11 (671 Views)

Ken,

If you are still tracking this thread, I have some additional information.

I encountered the same problem installing an HP LaserJet 1000, and sjohnso5's fix worked perfectly. It fixes the broken file reference without disabling the loading of that file.

Running the de-installer and re-installing would, I expect, only recreate the problem.

The file fwdl.exe is an HP firmware downloader according to:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=es&cc=es&dlc=es&docname=bpl11641#_Error_oc...

Disabling that startup item would prevent the folder from opening but the firmware updater wouldn't run.

Charles DiPace was wondering why the quotes fix the problem. The registry doesn't like the spaces in the path to the file.

"C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe"

versus

C:\Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe

With the quotes it knows that everything between the quotes should be taken together. The correct folder name (path) is known and the file can be opened from there. Without them, it apparently gets only as far as seeing it as a folder name and opens the folder.

Typically at a command line, a space represents the end of the target object and anything following that would be interpreted separately as another object or a command option if one or more was expected.

I'm not sure why it doesn't just try to open C:\Program, but I don't know how exactly the registry content is interpreted. It may be able to understand the spaces in a folder name but not as a file path.

At an XP SP2 command prompt, we can see interactively how it handles different situations. It looks like it handles some spaces in some cases. This command:

cd \Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\

works, while this one:

start \Program Files\hp LaserJet 1000\fwdl.exe

does not.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Simon Hancock
Message 11 of 11 (669 Views)

It actually is a Windows issue, but it is CAUSED by HP. When anything is installed that has a startup "Run" command key installed into the windows CurrentVersion\Run hive that has a space in it and is not enclosed in quotes, that folder will open on start. Example, I have an HP app that made the key value:

C:\Program Files\HP CD-DVD\Umbrella\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI

Now what do you think happens when I start up?
Thats right this folder opens: "C:\Program Files\HP", enclosing the string key in quotes will solve the problem, and from my experience, this happens with oldre HP apps and not the newer ones.

Good luck!!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation