psc 950 scan to pc problem (237 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 1 of 17 (237 Views)

psc 950 scan to pc problem

I have a 1Ghz AMD machine running Win98SE. Whenever I try to scan a image to my PC, the 950 says I don't have a connection to my PC. But, I can print images from my PC just fine. I can also scan an image to paper no problem. It seems that the plug and play is not working. When I click on MyComputer properties, and select the DeviceManager tab I can see 3 Dot4 items for the 950 listed, but I cannot see an imaging device displayed.

I have tried removing the 3 Dot4 items, and hotswapping the 950. I have tried updating my Uhcd.sys to version 4.10.2223. I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing the HP950 software.

Is there anything else I can try?
Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 2 of 17 (237 Views)

Re: psc 950 scan to pc problem

Chris,

I need to find out from you...which version of Windows are you running?

Rachelle
Each day holds promise, purpose and possibility.
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 3 of 17 (237 Views)

Rachelle,

I am running Windows 98SE 4.10.2222A.

However, since I posted my first message, things have gone from bad to worse. I can no longer print to the 950. I seem to have basically lost all communication between the PC and the 950. I get the yellow triangle in my system tray, with the message "HP psc Disconnected!" Something must have happened during one of the many times that I tried reinstalling the software.

Now when I try to reinstall the software, I never get the "SetUpFax" or "Contgratulation" screen. And the 950 never shows up as a printer when I click on Settings / Printers (Unless I manually add it by clicking on "Add A Printer). The 3 Dot4 items still show up in my Device Manager though.

Help. I really like the 950. I sure don't want to have to return it.

Thanks,
Chris
Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 4 of 17 (237 Views)

Chris,

Sounds like you have a communications problem between your printer and pc.

I have several items that I would like you to read through and try each of the suggestions made in the information. I recommend implementing a step...testing it, if it fails, move to the next step.

Be sure that you are using the IEEE 1284c printer cable that is less than 10 feet in length. It is always wise to try a new cable to help eliminate any communications error on your system. This is a GREAT starting point.

If the new cable does not resolve the problem then try the next suggestions.
Please click on the first url address below:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu01215.html

The printer requires a ecp/epp parallal port and the port must be set appropriately.

One, you may not have the port in your WIndows 98 system set to ECP.

Two, you may not have your system bios set to ECP.

Thirdly, your lpt port may not be an ecp/epp bidirecational printing port.

This document walks you through making sure Windows recognizes the port and it is set to ECP.
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu50260.html

This document walks you through your system bios and how to set it to ECP.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu02548.html

If your system bios does not have a selection for ecp/epp, then your LPT port does not support bidirectional printing and you will need to replace the port on your pc. To replace a port is not a "too hard" thing. The ports cost about $15.00 and are fairly easy to install but that depends on your comfort level in opening up a computer.

Fourthly, if you have a DELL computer it may need to have its system bios upgraded in order for the port to recognize hardware on the system. Here is some information about that:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu01838.html

Let me know what results you get from the following above troubleshooting.

Rachelle
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 5 of 17 (237 Views)

Rachelle,

Thanks for the response. One of the links you suggested, is not working: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu50260.html

I kind of curious, why I would care about the parellel port, since the 950 printer is hooked up to a USB port. The parellel port (LPT1) is currently being used by another printer, which works fine.

I'll try your suggestions, and let you know how it goes.
Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 6 of 17 (237 Views)

Chris,

Sorry about the parallel port information. I sometimes loose track of the information when I go from reading the post to posting my reply.

I look forward to hearing back about how your USB troubleshooting goes.

Thanks
Rachelle
Occasional Advisor
CA723879
Message 7 of 17 (237 Views)

What USB Universal host controller are you using? (Under the Universal serial bus controllers in the device manager) also when installing did you shutdown any virus protection software during the initial part of the install? Occasional virus protection programs like norton anti-virus or mcaffee virus shield interfer with installations.. Also any other program that might be accessing the harddrive might interfer as well.
Life is what happens while you are making other plans
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 8 of 17 (237 Views)

James,

When I look in device manager (under manufacturer), it says I am using the "Standard USB Host Controller". My PC is using a AMD 1Ghz Athlon with a ASUS A7 PRO Motherboard using the Via Apollo KT133 Chipset. I updated this with the latest version of the BIOS (version 1009) dated 10/03/2001.

There are actually 4 USB ports on the PC, and I've been using 2 of them (mouse & game pad) with no problem. I have tried plugging the 950 into each one of the USB ports with no success. I've also tried disconnecting the other 2 USB devices and just using the 950 USB plugged in with no success. I currently don't have anti-virus programs running (shame on me). I do have several other programs that always boot at startup. But I turned them all off, and tried uninstalling\installing the software with no success.

If you have any other suggestions, I sure would appreciate hearing them.

Chris
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 9 of 17 (237 Views)

Rachelle,

My PC is not a Dell, so I assume the Dell fixes are not relevant to me.

My PC is a AMD 1Ghz Athlon with a ASUS A7 PRO Motherboard using the Via Apollo KT133 Chipset. I updated this with the latest version of the BIOS (version 1009) dated 10/03/2001. Still no success with the printer.

I went out an bought another new cable, and it made no difference. The cable is a Cicero 10ft A Plug / B Plug with gold plated connectors. There does seem to be connectivity between the PC and printer though. If I have my device manager open before I plug the cable into the USB port, there are no Dot4 devices showing. But, as soon as I plug the cable into the USB on the PC, and power the printer on, I can see 3 Dot4 items appear in the device manager. This happens every time I try it. This occurs with both cables I purchased.

I went through the other document you suggested:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu01215.html
That document however is primarily for parallel port problems. The 950 uses a USB port.

I also found a couple of other web documents (one on the HP site), and tried working my way through those items, with no success. They were:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu01858.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263218

http://home.appleisp.net/~wizaad//usbPC/usbPC.html

I find it very odd that the very first time I ran the install, the install ran successfully to completion. I could even print after that no problem. It was only when I realized I couldn't scan into the PC, and I started uninstalling / installing the software that things got really bad.

If I manually add a 950 printer, after the install program fails to, and then go into the power settings for that port it looks like the 950 is requesting very little power (2mA see my attached screen shot). All 4 of my USB ports are within my PC's case. I do not have a seperate hub, so power shouldn't be a problem . . . right??? I read somewhere that if a device draws less than 50mA it won't be recoginized by plug-n-play.

There are 4 USB ports on my PC, and I am currently using two of them (mouse and game pad) no problem. I have tried the 950 in each of the 4 ports, and I have tried the 950 alone, with the other devices disconnected. No luck either way.

I suspect this is going to be a hard one to resolve. Has the PSC 950 been used successfully with a AMD machine like mine before?

Does HP have any planned upgrades to their install software or drivers for the 950?

Any other ideas?

Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 10 of 17 (237 Views)

Chris,

We have tried all of the suggestions that should have resolved the problem. I would recommend that you contact us. This way we could work with you while you are on your pc.

Rachelle
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 11 of 17 (256 Views)

Rachelle,

What number should I call for support? I'm near Toronto, Canada. Can I speak directly with you, or will I have to start with someone new?

Chris
Trusted Contributor
Tim Schaefer_1
Message 12 of 17 (256 Views)

The number for Canadian support is 905-206-4663
Look me up on the Ars forums (Neptunes)- http://arstechnica.com and http://arstechnica.infopop.net
Occasional Contributor
CA769172
Message 13 of 17 (256 Views)

Hi Chris,

I'm having the same problem as you but I did manually install the printer after the software was installed and managed to get back to the point of getting the "HP PSC disconnected error". Did you resolve your problem? If so, will you let me know what it was?

Thanks,

Terry
Message 14 of 17 (256 Views)

Hello Terry -

Here is a link to documentation that provides several steps for resolving disconnect issues on the PSC....

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu01859.html

Chel
Occasional Visitor
Mark Straughn
Message 15 of 17 (256 Views)

Chris,

I am having the same problem. When I first installed the HP PSC 950 back in December of 2001 it took me hours to get it to where it would print. I never could use the HP Director, it would just freeze up when opened. It wasn't until recently that I noticed intermittent scanning problems. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the software/hardware.

Once I did this I received an "Hpocon07 caused an error in Hpocon07.exe" during the software installation right at the point before your asked to restart.

After the restart with the HP PSC 950 powered up and USB connected I only see 3 of the 7 plug & play new equipment screens flash by (the 3 DOT4 entries in device manager).

The Fax wizzard/congratulations screen never appears. The HP Director shortcut never appears on my desktop. Also, I never get the "Hewelett Packard" group under the start > Programs menu never appears.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled until I'm blue in the face. I have installed the delay startup patch. I have changed my USB Chipset. I have purchased a powered hub that provides 500Ma per port. I have replaced the USB cable. I have disabled system restore. I have done everything the HP support website has with no avail.

I have run out of options!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions. This appears to be a common problem and there has to be more options to try!
Occasional Advisor
Chris Campbell_2
Message 16 of 17 (256 Views)

Mark,

I can sympathize with your problems. I spent hours before I finally got my 950 working. It is a great product once it's working. Don't give up. Ultimately I ended up calling technical support, and they steped me through resolving it over the phone. Basically, the uninstall program does not do a thorough job of cleaning up the registry. Tech support, stepped me through editing the registry manually. There are a bunch of entries that require deleting. I've attached a document from HP that details how to manually uninstall the software. If you're nervous about doing this yourself, you can always call tech support, or have a technical person you trust do it for you.

Good luck, Chris
Occasional Contributor
Jim_90
Message 17 of 17 (256 Views)

I think I remember having that problem. Try opening the HP Director software. Then at printer console press the PC SAVE button. Then press the Start button (i.e. Black or Color). good luck.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.