Windows 7 Drivers for Laserjet 3300 Multi-function (3035 Views)
Occasional Visitor
timthedog
Message 1 of 5 (3,035 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 Drivers for Laserjet 3300 Multi-function

The original drivers that came with my HP Laserjet 3330 when purchased in 2002 work with Windows 7 (and Vista and XP), although not perfectly. In particular, the scanner functionality has various anomalous behaviors. E.g. Using the HP LaserJect Scan Viewer to scan to a file, scan can be invoked, and correct image appears, but application hangs before file can be completed. I suspect this may be a driver issue with Win 7 as this used to work with prior Windows versions. Win 7 drivers don’t seem to be available for the 3300 series. Has anyone found a workaround this scanner problem?
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (3,035 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Drivers for Laserjet 3300 Multi-function

Tim,

When Microsoft rolled out Win7 to the public, HP had to decide which printer models they would support. As you can guess, the 3300 did not make the cut to create a custom print/scan driver like they have made for previous OS's.

HP's solution is to use the UPD for printing and the default scanning drivers and software loaded on Win7 for scanning. To find out how to scan in Win7 without HP Software see this document from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02459304&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Many older Laserjet models are in the same boat as the 3300 when it comes to Win7.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Visitor
timthedog
Message 3 of 5 (3,035 Views)

Jack,
Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply. The help document you cited suggested using several alternative scanning applications instead of the â HP Laserjet Scan Control Viewer.â Unfortunately, none of the other scanning applications, or Windows 7 itself, can see the scanner. My HP 3330 mfp connects via TCP/IP and an HP Jetdirect 175x (J6035A) print server. Windows sees the printer and prints normally.
The help document also suggested using either hpqscnvw.exe or hpiscnapp.exe to run the HP scanning application. Neither of these files is on my machine. I can invoke the HP Laserjet Scan Control Viewer application via hppscan.exe, but this leads to the anomalous behavior describe previously.
Any further thoughts appreciated.
Jim
Occasional Visitor
hfaucett
Message 4 of 5 (2,115 Views)

Can anyone direct me to a site that has the scanner driver for the 3330?  All the previous links no longer work, and HP phone support is worthless on this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 5 of 5 (2,084 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since HP has based so much of their product strategy on MFP devices, wouldn't it make sense for them to include scanning support in the UPD? Why should we settle for half functional equipment?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.