Re: WiFi domain (244 Views)
Occasional Advisor
JohnF. Leonard
Message 1 of 4 (256 Views)
Accepted Solution

WiFi domain-M1522nf

[ Edited ]

I currently have 2 computers, one of which has a M1522nf attached by USB cable. Works as published. The computers are through a wireless LAN to the internet (WAN). I want to make the the printer  available to both computers through the LAN. Ethernet is not a physical option. Ideas??

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JohnF. Leonard
Message 2 of 4 (254 Views)

Re: WiFi domain

I am not interested in e-printing. This is a LAN I want to make use of for making the M1522nf what amounts to a print server for the two computers.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 3 of 4 (249 Views)

Is the wireless LAN network managed by you, or by someone else (e.g. an Internet Service Provider)?

If the WLAN is under your control, you could probably add a small cheap bridge-type WLAN base station near the printer and connect the printer to it with wired Ethernet.

If you cannot make changes to the WLAN, the computer that has the USB connection to the printer must be configured to share the printer to the network. The possibilities and procedures for this depend on the operating system you're using: it's a pretty safe bet you could at least share the printing function, but sharing the scanner function may be more complicated or just not possible.

If the WLAN is managed by an ISP, it might have some "client privacy" features enabled: these might restrict connections between the WLAN clients and/or force the data to go through ISPs routers/firewalls before returning to your other WLAN client. This might limit the number of solutions you can implement, or it might be a data security issue if you're working with confidential data.

MK
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JohnF. Leonard
Message 4 of 4 (244 Views)

Thanks, that helps a lot. John

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation