Universal Print Driver isn’t very Universal (363 Views)
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 1 of 4 (363 Views)

Universal Print Driver isn’t very Universal

Hi all,

I just went away for a weekend visiting relatives who have an HP OfficeJet 7310 printer. Since I have a LaserJet 3050 at my home office and I needed to take some work with me, I figured that I would just bring my Pavilion dv8408 Vista32 laptop and my USB cable with me and use their machine. I needed to print out a 12 page document, sign it, scan it to email and then email it to a client before Monday morning. I have installed on my system, the UPD PCL 5 and the UPD PCL 6 as well as HP scanning version 4.0.4.0  When I plugged in the OfficeJet 7310 to my system, it would not print using the PCL 5 or 6 driver, even after triggering the Update Now in the  Automatic Configuration. Windows Vista32 installed some native print drivers but NO SCANNING DRIVERS. The HP Scanning I have would not work with the 7310. I then ended up spending over 2 hours on my vacation with multiple failed attempts whereupon I finally was able to install the OfficeJet drivers on to my laptop, get my document scanned and email it to my client.

What I am asking here is, what is the purpose of the Universal Print Driver if I cannot use it to print on another HP product?!

and, What about the scanning drivers? Shouldn't they be a part of any so-called Universal Print Driver package since so much of HP's product line consists of MFP/AIO machines?

We really need to get some better drivers for our equipment.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 2 of 4 (298 Views)

Re: Universal Print Driver isn’t very Universal

Update:  I recently discovered the following document

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpl04568&jumpid... 

where in item 7. re: PCL5C it says "Each new version of the language includes commands not found in older versions as well as the older PCL commands. As a result, printers with more recent versions of PCL are backwards compatible with software that supports older versions of the language."  

And in item 8. re: PCL6 it says  "Features new modular architecture that can be easily modified for future HP printers; faster return to application; faster printing of complex graphics; more efficient data streams for reduced network traffic; better WYSIWYG printing; improved print quality; truer document fidelity; and complete backward compatibility." 

So, I'm wondering why it is that I can't use the PCL5 or PCL6 Universal Print Driver with a PCL3 Office Jet 7310 (2009 model), or as another user has pointed out  http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/PCL-5-6/m-p/6179513#M78156  ,the PCL3 OfficeJet Pro 8600 plus?

HP Pavilion dv8408us laptop

Vista32

USB connection with good cable.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 3 of 4 (264 Views)

One problem you're going to find, you are using an operating system that's no longer supported.

Microsoft ceased mainstream support October 2012, development, like many things moves onwards with current products.

Not the answer you want to hear but odds of HP developing Vista drivers in more depth are not high.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 4 of 4 (246 Views)

It is interesting to note that HP is very quick to ask the user to upgrade his or her operating system after 4 or 5 years of use. Meanwhile, HP is selling OfficeJet equipment right now - the 8600 series - that, per the history of PCL document, is using the PCL3 driver language that was originally developed 29 years ago in 1984.

The previous OfficeJet series 7300, that I tried to connect to at my relative's house with the PCL5 and PCL6 UPD, was in production when Vista was being produced. So we have a Vista compatible machine, the 7310, a user - myself - who has Vista32 on his laptop, and a driver, the PCL5 or PCL6 UPD, that HP would have us believe is compatible with multiple pieces of equipment. In HP's very own document, it is stated that each succeeding version of the PCL lanquage will recognize previous versions.

Re: the currently offered equipment, the OfficeJet 8600 seems like a nice piece of equipment, with hardware scanning resolution of 4800x4800. It's just that darn driver package again that limits it's functionality in an office. To get PCL5/6 connectivity, I can go up to a LaserJet Pro 200 MFP which is nearly double the cost of the  8600, but then why does the hardware scanning resolution drop off to 1200x1200? What if I want to scan in old family photos? And what about the cost of consumables with the color LaserJet vs the OfficeJet?

HP really has us in a pickle.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation