True Scan to E-mail without a computer (982 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Scott Egler
Message 1 of 3 (982 Views)

True Scan to E-mail without a computer

I have been having a very difficult time finding a list of machines that will do TRUE scan to email.  I'm not talking about where you do a scan and then it's sent to a PC to be emailed out.  I'm talking about setting up SMTP on a network connected scanner, and scanning to an email address without using a PC.

I know certain models will do this, such as the HP 8500 A909n or A909g.  I also know that the A909a model does NOT have this functionality, although the documentation is extremely misleading.  I have seen several posts on this matter from people who bought machines based on documentation, only to find out you need to use a PC to do the scanning.

I think HP calls it "HP Direct Digital Filing." to have this capability.   But after extensive searches, all I have been able to do is find some manuals that say "Some models only" for DDF, and it's never listed which models it applies to.  I even do a comparison between products and I can't find anything.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could assist in this matter.  I just want to know a good way to tell which machines have this capability.  Seems like a very important detail to omit.

Esteemed Contributor
Pier3v
Message 2 of 3 (974 Views)

Re: True Scan to E-mail without a computer

I think the CM2320nf, M3035mfp and CM4730mfp support that but don't quote me on that :smileywink:

Occasional Contributor
Scott Egler
Message 3 of 3 (948 Views)

HP Digital Direct Filing

Kind of sad, isn't it?  No one is really sure about this.  I don't know if it's greedy marketing or just terrible documentation.  In any event, the number of people that have bought scanners that don't serve the purpose they were purchased for is a problem.  Either I have to painstakingly spend a ridiculous amount of time researching the scanner to see if it will do what it promises (and then cross my fingers) or I tell people to go buy a Brother.  Which choice do you think a busy worker is more inclined to make?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.