T45 and Win2K (119 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jeffrey Williams
Message 1 of 2 (119 Views)

T45 and Win2K

Has anyone come across problems installing the new T45 drivers for Windows 2000? I have downloaded the driver posted at the end of January. When installing, it performs the initial install, and then says to reboot so that it may finish. However, upon reboot, the installation does not finish. Opening the Office Jet Manager icon on the desktop brings an error that the Printer and the PC are not communicating. Is there some step I am missing that is not included in the documentation? Thanks!

---Jeff Williams
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 2 of 2 (119 Views)

Re: T45 and Win2K

Hi Jeffrey,

There are several things that I need to know when troubleshooting this error.

First of all, when you upgrade from Windows NT to Windows 2000 you need to enable the plug and play feature within your system BIOS. This will help in installing the new driver.

Also, when you install the driver onto your system, you must be sure that you WAIT to place the Officejet onto the PC only after the Officejet sees your system. So, I would like you to try the following.

First, uninstall the driver...completely... here's how (and why):

ISSUE: Windows 2000 allows each main section and some lower sections of the Windows registry to have their own access permission level. By default in Windows 2000, certain sections of the Windows registry are set to a
permission level of Read instead of full. This does not allow some registry information to be removed during the uninstall process and may block the use of the registry restore tool to restore a previously saved registry file.

This can lead to problem installing the new versions of the HP All-in-One software or when upgrading to a new product.

SOLUTION: The permission levels of several critical keys is essential in getting a more complete software uninstall and is required to manually remove some registry entries. Enabling these sections of the Windows
registry will allow the entries that deal with the parallel and USB port virtual device drivers (DOT4 port entries) to be removed from the registry.

Follow these steps to enable sections of the registry for editing before uninstalling the software or editing the Windows 2000 registry.

1. Click on Start and then Run.
2. Type in regedt32 and click on OK.
3. Go to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window and highlight the main branch.
4. Click on Security and then Permissions.
5. Set the permission for the "Everyone" entry to Full and then click on OK.
6. Select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window and then drill down to the System/CurrentControlSet/Enum branch.
7. Click on Security and then Permissions.
8. Set the permission for the "Everyone" entry to Full and then click on OK.

Now after the complete uninstall, be sure to remove the Officejet from the
parallel port. Then with the OJ off your port, restart your system.

Now, be sure to shut down all applications on your system (anti virus software etc.) that may be running in the background. I would recommend that you try doing the install once more but be sure to shut down all running
softwares before doing so. For example, do a CTRL-ALT-DEL from your desktop. The software will show you a list of everything running on your system. You will have to highlight a software and click "end task" to turn off the software. You will have to highlight and end task on each of the items shown on the listing. This will take some time but it is necessary. Be sure to leave SYSTRAY and EXPLORER in the list.

Now, try reinstalling the driver.

I hope this helps!

Kathy
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.