Restarting remote printer using Jetdirect web interface (12610 Views)
Valued Contributor
Marc Carney
Message 1 of 5 (12,610 Views)

Restarting remote printer using Jetdirect web interface

I had the need to remotely restart a printer as I had just updated the reservation in DHCP and needed the printer to start up with the new address.

How can I restart the printer remotely ? Is there a control in the web interface or a command that can be used over ftp/telnet to do this ?

Thanks
The sheep tell me what I need to know
Respected Contributor
Kevin Adams_1
Message 2 of 5 (12,610 Views)

Re: Restarting remote printer using Jetdirect web interface

I am not aware of one, normally when updates have been done etc someone needs to manually cycle the power to ensure it loads the new firmware or the new ip details.
There's not really a reboot button as you would find on a PC.
What printer is it ?
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 3 of 5 (12,610 Views)

The restart (power cycle) command available from within Web JetAdmin may not be enough of a "cold power up" to have it sufficiently re-register with your DNS (if you configured the device using DHCP).

However, if you specified a static IP setting, it might be sufficient... but ... as soon as you apply new IP# (by static setting) the printer will try to use them... therefore Web JetAdmin might loose communication with it ... until you re-instruct Web JetAdmin what new IP# to use.

Still... the "most reliable" method is to make the settings and if the restart in Web JetAdmin do not do a sufficient restart... call a person near the printer and have them power cycle the unit for you.
Valued Contributor
Marc Carney
Message 4 of 5 (12,610 Views)

I think I found what I was after...

In Web Jet Admin, once a printer is selected and I'm on the main properties page, there is a menu at the top where the option 'Reset Options' is selectable. Pressing 'Go' with this brings up some more options with 'Power Cycle Printer' and 'Reset Printer to Factory Defaults'. These choices can be applied which should then trigger the remote printer.
The sheep tell me what I need to know
Advisor
Tyler_McLaughlin
Message 5 of 5 (12,610 Views)

In WJA 10.2 -

Select Device, Go to "Troubleshoot" tab and click "Reset Device"
“What gets us into trouble is not what we don’t know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so.” - Mark Twain
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.