Printer won't print glossy photo paper (1029 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mary Holub
Message 1 of 10 (1,029 Views)

Printer won't print glossy photo paper

My HP PSC 1315 has decided it will no longer print on photo paper. It used to do this just fine. My printer is just over a year old. It will print card stock paper of a heavy weight, but not photo paper. What can I do?
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ian Turner_2
Message 2 of 10 (1,029 Views)

Re: Printer won't print glossy photo paper

Mary, Hi

Could you clarify if your printer is doing a poor job/no job putting the image on the photo paper or if the photo paper is not feeding through the printer?

Regards
Ian Turner
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mary Holub
Message 3 of 10 (1,029 Views)

When I first started having the problem (last week) it would print about 1/3 of the 8x10 photo and then give me a paper jam message. When I pushed the cancel button it immediately pushed the paper out of the printer. I never could find a jam. Then it began printing less and less of the photo until it finally would only print about one line (less than 1/4 inch). I got some real lightweight paper (27 lb.) and it printed my photo, but it took almost two hours on the "best" setting (600 x 600 photoREt).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
carole gorka
Message 4 of 10 (1,029 Views)

I have the HP C4180 printer, and I am also having the same exact problem. I have spent the last 4 hours trying to figure it out. I have not had any luck. Did you ever get yours to work properly with glossy photo paper. your last description is exactly what mine has done. thanks carole
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Yohan Irani
Message 5 of 10 (1,029 Views)

i have the exact same problem...
my hp psc 1315 printer doesnt feed photo papers anymore but it will print on plain papers just fine.
the roller doesnt even begin to accept the paper and just displays empty.
i even tried placing a bundle of plain papers below two photo glossy papers and still it wouldnt accept the photo paper.
plz help.
thanx, in advance.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Todd Leiter
Message 6 of 10 (1,029 Views)

Can Someone from HP or someone who know what is going on please respond to this. The first message is from over 3 years ago and I don't see any responses here.

I have 2 HP printers, an OfficeJet 6310 and another all in one of another model#. Both printers within 1-2 years have stopped printing Any photo paper. The rollers stopped grabbing it on both printers. I have tried 3 different types of photo paper on each printer.

My Solution, after finding none here, was I bought an Epson printer, which is printing photo paper just fine (and hopefully will continue to do so after 1-2 years).

However, I would like to know what is going on and if there is some way to fix this. If not, I will be switching brands after a decade-plus of HP printers.

Todd
Los Angeles, CA
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 7 of 10 (1,029 Views)

Todd,

This is a forum for IT professionals based off of fellow customers like yourself. HP administrators are not responsible for resolving issues posted to these forums or responding to its users.

I suggest you start a new thread and describe your problem in detail as you have already. That way you expose your issue to a wider variety of experts who are willing to help you. Keep the conversation positive and be open to any suggestions. Threatening for an response is a sure-fire way to get ignored.
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Todd Leiter
Message 8 of 10 (1,029 Views)

John,
Thanks for the reply. I'm tired of looking for an answer for this, and saw the forum, didn't know who looks and responds.

And as far as threatening for a response...this was my last straw. I don't know if I'll have better luck with Epson, but HP isn't working, it's frustrating and I'm getting no real answers as to why multiple printers, using multiple photo paper brands all stop printing after a year...rollers don't last that long? I'm tired of searching forums, calling to get someone to tell me to switch paper brands.

Maybe like Toyota, this is an on-going problem that is not being talked about. For me, it is a big problem with my and my in-laws printers (which I recommended)...now I'm recommending against HP because this answer should not be this hard, this shouldn't be happening to multiple HP printers.

Thanks for your time anyway.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 9 of 10 (1,029 Views)

Todd I do not know how much you use your printers, but just like tires are a car they do wear over time and usage. Unfortunately most ink jet printers do not allow for the replacement of feed rollers due to design characteristics and the cost involved. Since glossy paper reqires more picking power due to the smoothness of the media it would tend to confirm that over time the printer will have difficulty picking up that type of media which is smooth and also heavier in weight. Two suggestions which may or may not work since I do not know you printer but if you can gain access to the rollers that pickup the media, try cleaning them with warm soapy water and then dry and see if that helps. If still no luck go to the link below to see if this product is something you can try.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S03
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jackie Hult
Message 10 of 10 (1,029 Views)

I hadn't printed photos for a long time and concluded my photo paper had expired. (???) Bought more paper and still printed very pale yellow and black photo. However, when I did a printer color test on the same glossy sheet, the test printed the true primary colors. So I wondered if it was a roller problem (as others have suggested) or something else. Finally, here's what worked for me: When setting up to print, GO TO: print, preferences, paper/quality, paper options, type is photo-project paper. Then PRINT. Hope you get color like I did. (Man, that was too easy.)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation