Printer stopped printing (194 Views)
Occasional Visitor
James Kotsonas
Message 1 of 7 (194 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer stopped printing

Howdy,
We set up a personal printer for one of our VP's. It was working, but now when he attempts to print all that comes out is:

"PCL XL Error"

Subsystem: TEXT
Error: Internal Error 0x50
Operator: BeginChar
Position: 32

This occurs regardless of what he attempts to print (Word, Excel, email...)

The printer is an HP Color LaserJet CM1312 nfi
The printer is connected directly to a laptop via a USB cable
The laptop is running XP

I'm guessing we'll need to reinstall the HP software, but thought I'd give this forum a shot and see if there's another option.

Thanks,

Jim
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 7 (194 Views)

Re: Printer stopped printing

Jim,

Reinstalling the software will not help your problem. The document that you are trying to print actually has a printing error somewhere inside and the printer has identified it. However, this fact is besides the point.

To solve the PCL XL problem, you simiply need to switch the printing driver for the 1312. Experts have a split opinion, but you should either downgrade to PCL5 or switch to a PostScript driver. I personally prefer to go down the Universal PostScript road.

There are other reports of fixing the problem by applying a hotfix from microsoft. However, its much easier just to switch the driver and be done with it.

Try changing the driver and let us know how it goes. Im very confident your problem will be resolved.

Thanks!
(points appreciated)
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Visitor
James Kotsonas
Message 3 of 7 (194 Views)

Thanks John.

I'll give that a shot.

The HP site has the PCL6 driver, but not the 5. Might I bother you for a location of the suggested driver?
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 7 (194 Views)

Actually, I found something that might work even better.

Check out this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

It describes some steps you can use to keep the same PCL6 driver and override the error message. I have yet to try this myself, but it sounds promising.

HP still has not released the PCL5 driver on thier website apparently. What we do is use the Universal Postscript Driver from the 1522 seen here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3442754&...

Dont let the model fool you, its the same driver and works perfectly fine on our 1312's. We previously used version 4.7 but have recently been using 5.0 with no problems.

Im really excited to see if HP's new solution works. I want to try it out on my next customer that has a PCL problem.

Good luck!
Occasional Visitor
James Kotsonas
Message 5 of 7 (194 Views)

Thanks so much. I've sent him an email and once he is available, I'll try that first option (the print optimization).

I'll report back on how it went.

Thanks again!
Occasional Visitor
Dfoxx
Message 6 of 7 (194 Views)

TO John Getzke --
I tried your fix and it worked great..!
I was all of a sudden getting InternalError 0x50 on a CM1312 HP printer. I changed the setting, unplugged, retried and all is well. Thank you I had wasted 45 minutes on this previously.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 7 of 7 (194 Views)

Im glad to hear that D. The 1312 has the additional option to change the driver setting and resolve the problem. I know that some other models like the 1522nf do not have this feature. For those models we are forced to change the driver to fix the problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.