Printer Assistant stopped working (9569 Views)
Visitor
Message 1 of 50 (9,569 Views)

Printer Assistant stopped working

Officejet 7500A, Win 7- 64.

My Printer Assistant has quit working. If I click on the icon it opens a windows explorer window of which one option is the printer assistant and it doesn't do anything. Yesterday the desktop link launched fine, today not. All I did between is put a new black ink in. I have no way to activate scan to computer now.... Have un-installed the HP software and re-installed with no change. Please help

Occasional Visitor
Message 2 of 50 (9,436 Views)

Re: Printer Assistant stopped working

I have the same problem. Please help.

Visitor
Message 3 of 50 (9,423 Views)

I tried System Restore to 2 M/S updates ago and no change. Any help would be appreciated. From reading further on in the forum it looks like another person is having this same issue, posted Monday.

Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 50 (9,413 Views)

I had the same problem today on my Officejet 8600 Pro N911a.  Suddenly, no Printer Assistant functionality.  Tried reinstalling software...no help.  Tried downloading newer version of software....message received that file is corrupt.

What gives, HP?  I use Kapersky anti-virus, by the way.

Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 50 (9,402 Views)

it appears many of us are having this issue. on top of the printer assistant not working, when I print no black prints even though my cartridge is full. I am desperate for a solution since I run a business and use my Hp photosmar e5510 to print receipts! A little Help Please!

Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 50 (9,380 Views)

wow - obviously something major is going on - seriously, I've been having problems with my 8600 plus all week

My printer assistant software stopped working for no reason on Monday. I downloaded and re-installed the software the next day and it worked OK for 1-2 business days.

Then just yesterday afternoon, my system couldn't hold the wireless connection between my PC and printer any longer. No changes had been made to the router/physical location of the devices, etc. they just couldn't seem to "find" each other. And then even when I could make the computer "find" the printer, the printer was constantly saying it was offline for no reason.

From the HP website I just downloaded and ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor. It seems to have helped - it's working for now. But no tell how long it will be before it goes haywire again.

I love this printer and I hope nothing is going wrong with it - it's less than 1 year old!

Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 50 (9,340 Views)

Thank you for this information. I will try this download and see if it helps! I also love my printer and it is only 6 months old!

Regular Visitor
Message 8 of 50 (9,331 Views)

I am having a similar problem on the Officejet 8500a.  There was an update to the programs that control the printer.  Now, an Explorer Window comes up with four choices, the first one is the HP Printer Assistant.  When I double click to open it, nothing happens.  The other three sections work fine. 

However, the HP Printer Assistant has many important functions, including checking the ink levels, and now I can't access it.

I tried a System Restore, but that did not work.  I tried the HP Print and Scan Fix, but that did not help either.

Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 50 (9,298 Views)

I chatted with Hp online they were able to fix my no black printing issue, but has not been able to fix the printer assistant, I did the same as you and no help for fixing the printer assistant, which I feel is a vital part of my machine. Hope they addressed this issue with the right department and maybe we will receive an email that it is fixed!!

Regular Visitor
Message 10 of 50 (9,280 Views)

[ Edited ]

Edit:  Earlier, I thought the reinstallation worked.  A few hours later, I tried to print from IE9 and received a script error.  I had to reinstall again, but now I can't print at all.  Very frustrating.

OJ8500A 910a, Windows 7, 64bit.  Wired Ethernet connection to printer.

I uninstalled the printer (Programs->HP Folder->HP Office Jet Pro 8500 A910->Uninstall).

Then I downloaded and installed the Full Feature Software and Driver dated 10/22/2012.

The software found the printer on the network, but the first attempt to install failed.  I powered off the printer and turned it back on.  After that the retry was successful.

The desktop icon brings up a different page than before. It is not a Windows Explorer page.  First it retrieves information from the printer, then a full screen program is displayed with separate sections for Print, Scan and Fax.

I hope this helps others.  I was reluctant to uninstall the printer, fearing I could have trouble reinstalling or the problem would remain.  I've only tested a couple of pages to print, but so far it looks like everything  is working fine.  If I run into problems, I'll post again.

Regular Visitor
Message 11 of 50 (9,263 Views)

[ Edited ]

I edited the above post because I began having problems again.  I may try to reinstall an earlier version of the software.

Update - I can print again with the old driver, but I'm unable to access the HP Printer Assistant as before.  The Windows Explorer window with the four options is displayed.   I may still have problems because when I went to close out the Registration screen, I received a script error.

Visitor
Message 12 of 50 (9,141 Views)

I am still having this problem, did anybody else get it fixed? No input from HP staff?

Occasional Visitor
Message 13 of 50 (9,089 Views)

[ Edited ]

Having the same problems with my HP Officejet Pro 8500A. Worked fine up until today (just after a raft of windows updates yesterday) and now I just have 4 options on a white background (used to be black) and the first HP Printer Assistant will not open. At this stage I still seem able to print but something not right! Would love to see a fix out there for this pronto please HP!

I run 3 HP laptops (2 X Probook and 1 X Elitebook) and all three have developed this problem! I also have a HP Netbook with the printer software and the same problem has just occured with that. Appears to be something in the latest Windows updates have caused this?

Occasional Visitor
Message 14 of 50 (9,056 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also have this problem with HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus, Win 7, x64 from last week when the update came out. I am also getting the windows explorer type window with the inactive HP Assistant button. I tried using the full update and it didn't work I tried system restore to the end of last month when I knew for sure it was working and that didn't work either. I tried the print and scan doctor it says my computer is working fine and so does the diagnostic utility. I also tried to use the dialog box on another computer I have. When I booted it up it worked. I left the computer for about 5 minutes and the same thing happened with that as well.

Help please I use this computer for several purposes so I neeeeeeed to get this fixed.

Occasional Visitor
Message 15 of 50 (8,886 Views)

I have the same problem as the other posters on this board. Surprised that this is clearly a problem that affects many users, yet nobody from HP has posted on this forum that the problem is recognized and something is being done to provide a fix. Did I overlook a post from HP?

Occasional Visitor
Message 16 of 50 (8,857 Views)

Two days ago, I used the HP Printer Assistant to scan a document. Last night I rebooted my computer to satisfy a whole bunch of Microsoft Updates. Today, HP Printer Assistance is broken.

When I launce the app from my desk top as always, it doesnt any longer offer me the options to scan, etc. Double clicking on Printer Assistant does nothing. I can still print to my printer though. Just cant check ink, scan, or anything else that Printer Assistant does. I believe Microsoft broke it with something that was in their most recent Windows 7 updates

Acclaimed Contributor
Message 17 of 50 (8,845 Views)

>yet nobody from HP has posted on this forum

This is a peer to peer forum, not an official HP support site.

Perhaps try the HPSC:

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

HP Pro
Message 18 of 50 (8,833 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Uninstall your software by going to Start > Programs > HP > [Your Printer Model and follow the Uninstall option.

Next download and install the latest software for your printer model below:

Officejet 7500A - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109374-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Officejet Pro 8600 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-108858-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Photosmart 5510 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108875-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Offiejet Pro 8500A - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109378-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Officejet 6500A Plus - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109384-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

If you use any other printer from the list I included above (tried to include the information for any of the posts :)), search for your products from the Software & Driver section below, select your OS and follow the Full Feature Software within the Driver category:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Be sure to use the latest software, using any previous software version will provide you the same problem.

Shlomi

HP Pro
Message 19 of 50 (8,769 Views)

Hi ALL,

Please perform the following and let me know the results.

1.    Go to “C:\Program Files\HP\<Printer Model>\Bin\UDC_Files” folder
2.    Look for “localize_1033.json” file and rename it to “localize_1033.json.old”
3.    Look for “tasks.json” file and rename it to “tasks.json.old”
4.    Go to Driver CD or Install Location (whichever is the latest)
5.    Look for Full_x86.cab or Full_x64.cab (OS Dependent – {64bit OS select Full_x64} {32bit OS select Full_x86 })
6.    Open the CAB File
7.    Look for “UDC_Files_localize_1033” and “UDC_Files_tasks”
8.    Extract the file to “C:\Program Files\HP\<Printer Model>\Bin\UDC_Files”
9.    Rename the “UDC_Files_localize_1033” to “localize_1033.json”
10.    Rename the “UDC_Files_tasks” to “tasks.json”
11.    Go to “C:\ProgramData\HP\<Printer Model>”
12.    Look for “HPUDC” folder and rename it to “HPUDC_1”
13.    Close all Windows
14.    Make sure the printer is Online (Make sure you are able to Open the EWS Page or able to Print and Scan)
15.    Open HP Printer Assistant and check

Visitor
Message 20 of 50 (8,761 Views)

For me, doing the uninstall and re-install from the website download worked. Now I'm happy.Thank you!!

Occasional Advisor
Message 21 of 50 (8,735 Views)

I believe this problem began with the last patch Tuesday, Nov. 13th.  I do not think it is an HP software problem, because the printer assistant failed on two network computers at the same time.  When pressing the officejet 8500A icon the screen it is now white, instead of black, has less information, and printer assistant will not open, the screen just gets smaller.

HP Pro
Message 22 of 50 (8,780 Views)

Hi Maraval2699,

Did you followed the suggestion posted in my previous post?

I'm pretty sure that installing the latest version as listed will get the problem resolved..

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Occasional Advisor
Message 23 of 50 (8,767 Views)

Thank you, however that did not work.  Had to re-install from disk to get printer to work, however printer assistant still will not open.  The problem started with the last Microsoft updates.  There is a conflict between the HP software and the recent MS updates.

HP Pro
Message 24 of 50 (8,757 Views)

Indeed it seems as MS Update conflicts with older software version, only the latest version will resolve the problem.

Make sure to completely remove the previous software by running the uninstall and then remove any other HP items of the printer from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

This is the latest software for your printer (Assumig it is the HP Officejet Pro 8500A (A910) as you stated:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109378-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

If you get any error during the installation please clarify the exact error, attach a screenshot if possible.

Shlomi

Occasional Advisor
Message 25 of 50 (8,744 Views)

Dear Shlomi,  I have tried your suggestion, twice actually, with the same result.  The latest software version downloads and installs.  Everything works fine, except you cannot open the printer assistant.  The screen has changed and I am experiencing the same problem that others have posted earlier.  It would appear that the "Printer Assistant" has been corrupted by an MS update.

Printer is HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A (A910).  As others have stated, you cannot check ink levels, align printheads, etc. since the most recent MS updates.  If it can be determined which MS update caused the conflict, I would remove it.

Thanks for your help,  and I look forward to your reply.

Ray

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.