PSC 750 Scanner failure (2701 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Richard Jarvis_1
Message 126 of 159 (1,092 Views)

Re: PSC 750 Scanner failure

I just revisited this thread. My PSC 750 has had the scanner error twice. Once about 3 years ago and again in the last week. Both times I pulled the scanner carrier out as the directions in this thread state and cleaned the mirrors. Pay attention to the orientation of the mirrors. Clean both sides, some only reflect off of one side. I have not left off the black cover, I put it back on both times. My printer is in an area that does get a lot of dust, etc.. Suggestion---save this thread for later use, its easier to find 3 years down the road.
Occasional Visitor
Richard Jarvis_1
Message 127 of 159 (1,092 Views)

Sorry, I forgot--both times that I have cleaned the mirrors the scanner/copier has worked fine. Prior to the mirror clean (both times) I tried all the restarts, reboots, power off, and any other non-mechanical thing that I could, to no avail.
Occasional Visitor
Ted Sheridan
Message 128 of 159 (1,092 Views)

I have had this very same problem now for over a year...finally I found the fix.
Step one. download the latest software for the 700 series PSC. Then remove completely any existing drivers and the old software for the 700 series. Disconnect your anti virus and firewall, disconnect the PSC from the printer, plug the unit into a wall socket and not a surge protector. Leave unit without power for thirty seconds and then plug into the wall. Allow unit to set up...at this point your unit will most likely still be flashing the same tired message of "Scanner Failure". ingnor it...
Run the software and latest driver from the HP website that you previously downloaded. Follow the prompts for it and the set up should be complete...you do not need to register this so skip that part. Now and this is important...Pressing and holding the power button for at least one second, release and press again....and immediately go to Printer's desktop icon and click on it and click on scan... you must complete this task before your unit starts to blink again... repeat until you get it right...the the unit will wait for next scan...scan a few more times and allow unit to reset....

This works until you have a power failure and then you may have to do it again...

I'm a scanning fool once again and I had been ready to kick it to the curb.

Occasional Visitor
Thomas Fennel
Message 129 of 159 (1,092 Views)

I find this hard to believe but I did was was sugessted:
There is some stuff that can be done for this, but if it doesn't work, you'll probably end up needing to contact technical support, and having them service the unit.

1) Make sure the unit is plugged into a wall and not into a surge protector.

2) If that doesn't work, try a reset. For the PSC750s, unplug it, ahold down Cancel and the Left Arrow buttons, and plug back in.

Well it worked I have been coping ever since. Thank you all I was ready to go buy a new wireless unit.
Occasional Visitor
Susan Ferreri
Message 130 of 159 (1,092 Views)

Thanks so much to all and Jeffery Conklin for helping me fix my printer. I did all the steps in order. Everything work great except for one thing. My black is not printing. I know it is not out of ink but will replace it if there is not somthing I can check... any ideas???
Susan
Occasional Visitor
Bunny C
Message 131 of 159 (1,093 Views)

My PSC 750 would work for about 10 minutes and then if I tried to scan or copy, the scanner failure message would appear. The error also occurred when I tried to copy without the printer being connected to the PC, so it was not a driver problem. I tried the suggested power fix without success. I then followed Jeffery Conklin's exellent instructions and removed the black plastic cover. I did not clean the mirrors as they were still clean. It's as if I now have a new printer. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and in partiucular to Jeffery.
Occasional Visitor
Carolyn A
Message 132 of 159 (1,093 Views)

I am having a scanner failure issue (and have been for months). I am unable to get the glass part off of the unit. There was a mention of disassembly in pictures, but I do not see a link. If anyone has a link to them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have tried all of the new driver install, power off, plug into a wall, resets, etc..
Occasional Visitor
Richard Jarvis_1
Message 133 of 159 (1,093 Views)

Way back when there were pictures of the rebuild but if memory serves me correct they got removed (By HP????...I think that was the rumor. I dont know for sure.). At one time I viewed them but in my recent search I could not locate them. Hopefully someone else has them or remembers where they are. As far as not being able to remove the glass my question is what PSC, what piece of glass. I AM NOT a HP PSC guru but I have taken apart my PSC 750 twice with no ill effects and corrected the Scanner Failure problem. If you have a PSC 750 my advice is to follow the post written by Jeffery Conklin on Mar, 30 2006 in this thread. If you are still having trouble (with a 750) I should be able to take some pics of mine for you (it probably needs cleaning again). Put the scanner in a place you can work on it with good lighting and take your time. I have tried every software fix, every non mechanical fix to no avail. I also have had power failures since the cleaning and everything works fine. Good Luck!
Occasional Visitor
jkinzieh
Message 134 of 159 (1,093 Views)

Same thing "Scanner Failure"

Here's what I did...

Tried the Left arrow / cancel buttons at power on thing & no dice

So
* I powered off,
* unplugged from PC and power,
* took the top off,
* got access inside (thanks to the others that got me that far)
* slowly/manually pushed the light carriage all the way to the left (furthest from home position),
* snapped the top back on
* powered on still failed
* pulled power momentarily (like 1 sec)
* plugged back in and the carriage began to move to the right
* it went about 1/5th of the way & returned
* the it did it again and went further
* then went back
* then back to the right, BUT all the way:-)
* back and forth around home a little
* AND COOL! it worked again :-)
[obviously no guarantee, push the carriage was my last hope]
Occasional Visitor
CC Kennedy
Message 135 of 159 (1,103 Views)

Mine was also very erratic after working very well for well over a couple of years. This thread got me thinking differently. so i unpowered it and blew it out. Powered back up and badabing... it started working again. So obviously gunk is the enemy. Forget the driver thing. I tried that angle several times especially after Driver Doctor told me my driver was out of date but HP said differently.
Occasional Visitor
JimT1950
Message 136 of 159 (1,103 Views)

I tried everything in the HP troubleshooting short of taking it my D145 in for service and nothing worked until I read in this forum to hold the cancel and left arrow buttons down while plugging the power cord back in. This worked for me this time. Will have to see if this has fixed it for a while. I did notince my scanner glass is awful foggy so I might get to cleaning that soon.
Occasional Visitor
JimT1950
Message 137 of 159 (1,103 Views)

I forgot to mention my initial problem. Scanner failure, turn power off then back on again..... after warmup when copy or printing.
Occasional Visitor
litehause
Message 138 of 159 (1,103 Views)

Thanks for all the info. Cleaning the lens (aka the "eye", which is a camera-like small lens facing left) helped me.
Occasional Visitor
Pam Greenfield
Message 139 of 159 (1,103 Views)

I too was having problems with scanning and I found a thread that mentions using a surge protector is a problem. (for a different scanner but I thought - what the heck - I'll try ANYTHING!) Apparently they have a tendancy to prevent ENOUGH electricity into the scanning parts - so I plugged it directly into the wall outlet and it not only works but it's faster! It obviously was struggling now that I see how quickly the scan window comes up!

Crossing my fingers that this solves your problem too!

Pam
Occasional Visitor
mruetz
Message 140 of 159 (1,103 Views)

I fixed this also by removing the black cover. To clarify on the removal of the black cover. There is a larger square hole and smaller rectangular hole on each side of the cover. Place the screwdriver in the smaller rectangular hole on each side to remove the cover.
Occasional Visitor
Gary N Hinsey
Message 141 of 159 (1,106 Views)

For the second time I had a HP psc 750 Scanner Error, "Failure to Initialize" again. The last time was in Nov 2006. In 2006 I removed the cover and left it off, and cleaned the mirrors the best I could. This time all I did was clean the mirrors and It has been working fine for a week or so. This time I used Jeffery Conklin's instructions in an above post to disassemble the scanner, Big Help. I also slid the center mirror from under the clips, to give better access to the other mirrors. This time I cleaned the mirrors much better than the first time in 2006, because I could reach them better, after removing the center mirror. I reinstalled the center mirror by holding it very carefully between the 2 tabs at each end of the mirror mount and slid the clips up into place until they clicked into a locked position. Because of everyone's great input my HP psc 750 is now in it's third life. Thanks to everyone, especially Jeffery Conklin and those who suggested removing and leaving the cover off. Great site
Occasional Visitor
Ryan Conley
Message 142 of 159 (1,106 Views)

Thread is over 6 years old and still going strong. Amazing. I followed Jeffery Conklin's instructions posted on Mar 30, 2006 and just copied something for the first time in a long time. Cleaned the mirrors and glass and left the black plastic cover off. Thank you and God bless everyone in the whole wide world except HP.
Occasional Visitor
yvan_2
Message 143 of 159 (1,106 Views)

When this happens to me, I notice the lamp will not park in home position.

To have the lamp parked in home position and operate scan again successfully:

Power off and then power on

Press copy black and then press Cancel

The lamp will move to and fro and then park home

Scanning is possible again
Occasional Visitor
Gary ST
Message 144 of 159 (1,106 Views)

Some years on . . . we have had this same recurring problem - "scanner failure". We can print test pages but aligninig cartridges requires the scanner to scan the test page. We have no idea how to correct the scanner failure - light is working, it does move but it just seems to default to scanner failure and the rest of the system does not operate. If anyone has figured this out, please let me know, thanks
Occasional Visitor
Chrissy S
Message 145 of 159 (1,106 Views)

To Ric, Gary ST and anyone trying to find a fix for "scanner failure error message":
I have a hp psc 750xi. I bought it in 2000 and have never had it serviced. When I first received "scanner failure" I thought that might be the reason, but the only problem I had ever noticed before was a slight squeak when the print carriage moves one direction. Now, my printer was working fine for printing from the internet, email and MS word/excel program, but would not print/scan/copy from the flatbed.
I found this website and began making attempts at what worked for others, to no avail! But somewhere I had read something about room temperature and my printer had been in storage for a month (although during summer months), I also kept my computer room at about 58-60 degrees. So I brought a thermometer in here and turned the heat up until it reached 68 degrees and kept it that way for about 24 hours.
Well, low and behold. It works and has been working ever since. I hope it works for some of you to! Thanks!
Occasional Visitor
Eleanor Foote
Message 146 of 159 (1,106 Views)

I had the same problem. As stated in the emails above, the simplest solution is to try plugging the printer directly to a wall outlet. Worked for me!
Occasional Visitor
Chrissy S
Message 147 of 159 (1,106 Views)

Well, in the past three weeks, each time I have turned the heat down even sometimes only 3 degrees, in my office/computer room, my HP 750xi has begun giving the scanner failure error again. I turned it back up and have left it there and all works just fine! No more error messages! Nothing else ever worked! Thanks!
Occasional Visitor
konahn
Message 148 of 159 (1,106 Views)

As vvan said, the problem is that the head lamp is not in the correct position when starting scanning.

So the problem can be fixed if you can move it back to its position.

Just Press "Black copy" button and "Cancel" right away. The machine will adjust the position of the head lamp. Try copying again and you'll see the 'magic'
Occasional Visitor
Bill Toohey
Message 149 of 159 (1,106 Views)

I'm in the same boat as most of you. I dismantled the top end and got right in to the scanner body today. Just remove the black lid and don't ask questions as described in this thread with a small scewdriver. The lid will come off after pinching action is felt through the rectangle area as you lift on the right side of the lid. Repeat this on the left carefully. Once the "Hat" is off you have complete access to the lenses which will probably show evidence of grit. Clean all visible lenses with isopropyl, q-tips and wipe with clean lint free cloth. Reassemble and calibration will happen once you push the button to copy. Worked on the first try after many painful software and hardware attempts! If your scanner was working and then prompted with "Scanner Failure" whenever, I strongly recommend this solution! Happy New Year PSC 750!
Occasional Visitor
Radivoj Kar
Message 150 of 159 (1,106 Views)

Hi,
It all started by PSC 2210 asking me to check cartridge. After checking and cleaning and getting always the same message, I bought and inserted a new black (56) cartridge. Printer asked me to press Enter to align cartridges, and after each pressing I got consecutive messages: Report waiting, press Enter to align, occupied, press enter to align, printing (but nothing prints out) press enter to align, occupied, then Scanner failure switch off and on. I switch off/on, same endless loop.
In HP knowledge base found "Press enter to Align Cartridges" document that says how to bypass the cartridge alignment: Press and hold the Setup button and press the Options button.
Done, and this stopped the endlesss loop of "Preess Enter to Align Cartridges", but printer still did not print, copy nor scan, connected or not to the W2000 PC.
Had online chat with HP technical support, they made me try semi and full resets (# and 3 / # and 9, also #and 6) unplugging, on/offs etc et finally declared there must be a hardware error and I have to buy a new printer.
Read all messages on this site and tried to print empty Word file etc, still "Scanner failure" and no print.
on HP Customer Care . HP PSC2410 Photosmart All-in One Printer found document "How to clean the Scanner Glass" , with pictures describing how to dissasemble front cover. I did it and WOW ! :
found scanner traction motor small power plug had jumped out. This explains why scan head had never moved after failure appeared. I plugged it in, checked it sits in OK, re-assembled the unit and ALL WORKS OK !
This Forum is a great place to find the solution, so thanks to all those giving inputs to it!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.