Re: PSC 2510 Two-Way Communication Problem (204 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Alan Peck
Message 1 of 21 (204 Views)

PSC 2510 Two-Way Communication Problem

[ Edited ]

I have an HP PSC 2510, with latest HP software updates, installed on Windows XP,
also with all updates, and operating in infrastructure wireless mode.
All functions (print, scan, copy, fax) operate successfully from the
printer or from within XP, using Director.

However, if one opens the Toolbox and clicks on the Estimated Ink Level
tab, one gets a message: "The computer is unable to establish two-way
communication with the device." I am able to interrogate the ink
levels via a web page to the 2510's embedded web server, but not via
Toolbox.

Also, the Configuration tab shows the Messages section (Display Print
Settings Confirmation Dialog, Display Status Window) as greyed out.

I have contacted HP Support and been advised that this is a "known
issue," but that there is no present known workaround.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Has anybody discovered any
solution?

Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to Multifunction and All-in-One. -HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
R Kolstedt
Message 2 of 21 (204 Views)

Re: PSC 2510 Two-Way Communication Problem

I also have the same problem. No solution has been provided by HP.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Drew Phillibert
Message 3 of 21 (204 Views)

I too have this exact same problem. I have a HP PSC 2710, however, and its commected via 802.11g & wpa

I am also experiencing another phenomenon that I suspect is related. I obviously have a wireless router [Linksys WRT54GS], but I also have a WIRED desktop and a second WIRELESS desktop. Both are connected to the PSC 2710 via the router and it's wireless connection.

I notice that when I use the printer's front panel to SCAN --> Select Computer...that the WIRED computer does not show up in the list of computers to send the scan to. This was not the case during installation. However if I use HP director to scan something, I can then go to the printers front panel and get the wired computer to show up while doing a scan.

I thought it might be Windows firewall. Not so.

I get the same "The compuer is unable to establish a two-way communication with the device." error message from the WIRELESS computer as well though. So maybe its not related.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jeff Jenkins
Message 4 of 21 (204 Views)

Exactly the same problem here with a PSC 2510. Rubbish, isn't it?

My printer and PC are both wired to a Netgear router, so I don't think it's a wireless problem.

I've also re-installed the HP software on more than one occasion and there is no change.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Harlan Koehn
Message 5 of 21 (204 Views)

I too have the same problem with an HP Deskjet 5440. I haven't bothered to contact HP Tech Support because I'm not interested in a lengthy run-around for a problem that will persist. As I am a PC Technician, I have already tried uninstalling my printer, then downloaded the latest driver, and reinstalled the printer. I also waited until all I was prompted to plug in the USB cable. And the idea that this might be a "loose connection" or "loose cable" is preposterous, even laughable. If a fix becomes available I'd love to know about it. -HK
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hans Adamson
Message 6 of 21 (204 Views)

I have the same problem with a HP Photosmart 8150.

I am using it connected through the printer port of a D-link wireless router.

There is also a printig high quality letter-size pictures. They abort printing after less than 20% is finished. It is as if there is a buffer problem. If I restart the printer, I can print one complete picture. After that I have to restart it again.

Maybe this is another effect of the inability to two-way communication.

Any solutions?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
u812
Message 7 of 21 (204 Views)

This must be a problem with all hp printers.
I have a Desk jet 1220c, and a all in one 7310
I have also had other hp printers and have never been able to have two-way communication with any printer.
Some how I think it's intentional as hp's site can communicate with the printer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Pat Lopez_1
Message 8 of 21 (204 Views)

I see that from April 2005 til today, January 2007 the same issues is still alive and well.

I have just purchased and installed a OfficeJet 7310 as a network (wired) device. It took me four installs and the ensuing updates before everything started settling down and the error messages and almost all functions started working as they should. Having installed all-in-one software before I knew it was not going to be a simple process.

Here are my specifics -
As stated above, I cannot view the ink levels from the HP Director software. I also have the Messages secton greyed out.

I DO have access from the printer's control panel to the PC. The printer can see the host name. and "scan to" the PC. I can select HELP and have the associated page pop up on the monitor.
I haven't had a chance to use the fax function yet, but all the fax functions seem to be there and it passed the fax self-test.
The only remaining issues, so far, are viewing the ink levels and the messages. the error for the ink levels is "...unable to establish two-way communication with the device." I'll have to assume that this is what is affecting the message function.

I'm running the software on 2.4 P4 CPU with 512meg, plenty of disk space and running under XP Pro with SP2. I disabled all my security software prior to installation. I removed my previous AIO software before installation. Other than the usual 100 percent CPU utilization issues that fixed itself after the third round of installation the software install went relatively smooth. (Told you I was HP trained not to expect it to work the first time).

Based on the date of the initial post I don't see that this problem is a priority for HP and I'm wasting my time searching out solutions for this issue.

Has anyone in the community discovered a solution they are willing to share? Not being a programming sort, more of a hardware slave, I doubt I'll discover a fix.

Now that this PC is mostly working I only have four more PC's to go.

Onward through the fog...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
KennyG_1
Message 9 of 21 (204 Views)

I just had a conversation with HP on this issue. They claim that any USB cables over 3ft in length can cause this. In my case, I'm using my Ethernet interface. I get the same error, however, if I use the web interface to look at the printer, I am able to see ink levels... In that case, try going to http://Printer's IP Addy... It should hopefully be on the main page. Hope this helps someone...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
AR Vickery
Message 10 of 21 (204 Views)

I had this exact same problem with a new (refurbished) photosmart 8250 that i installed yesterday...it took me 2 hours using the hp online chat...a technician was finally able to identify a problem with me having several USB ROOT HUB files in the Device Mgr that needed to be uninstalled. There was also a problem with my ecp printer port not allowing parralel communic...whatever that is...the online agent said they would email me a copy of our session...i have not seen it yet...but will post it here if i get it...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Terrence Olson
Message 11 of 21 (204 Views)

I just recently installed a L7580 AIO. A user could not FAX from his desktop. I went to status and checked ink levels and I got the two-way communication error. Spent about 40 minutes with chat room tech support about problem. The problem clears when I power cycle the printer. After sitting over night the problem is back. Power cycle and its OK for the day. I think the AIO is not coming out of sleep mode when you try to FAX to it or check on ink levels. Thinking about putting in an ac timer to cycle the AIO once a day.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bmellesmoen
Message 12 of 21 (204 Views)

Same issue here with my L7780 connected via wired network. Here it is now 12/20/2008 and still the same problem. I guess HP doesn't care about it's customer satisfaction.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mnscott
Message 13 of 21 (204 Views)

I had this issue using a Photosmart C6180 on a wireless network. Turned out to be a firewall issue, which I resolved by specifying that the HP Print Cue app was allowed through the firewall. It's easy to check if it's a firewall problem by shutting off the firewall long enough to send a test print.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mary McCanta
Message 14 of 21 (204 Views)

I found a solution to this on the web! Worked for my HP 8750. The link to the solution is:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t404303-cannot_see_estimated_ink_levels_printer
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Drew Phillibert
Message 15 of 21 (204 Views)

Just to be clear, ... In Windows XP, when I go to the Printers Folder, right-click on my HP 'Photosmart 2710' printer, left-click on 'Properties', then 'Printing Preferences' on the 'General' Tab, then to the 'Services' tab and then click on 'Service this device' and finally click on 'Estimated Ink Levels'. I get the message: The computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device.

So, per the instructions that were provided at the link found in the previous post by Mary on 2-24-09 [and adding a few of my own], I did the following....

1.) Created a restore point.

2.) Uninstalled ALL HP printer related software on my PC. [That is, in fact, the only type of HP software on my system] and Rebooted.

3.) I deleted the Following folders....
* \Program Files\HP
* \Program Files\Hewlett-Packard
* \Program Files\Common Files\HP
* \Program Files\Common Files\Hewlett-Packard
* \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP
* \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard
* \Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\HP
* \Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard

[Use your imagination here...There might be more folders than just these]

4.) I deleted the contents of the \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 [anything that referred to an HP Printer or driver]

5.) I ran a registry cleaner [Tune-Up Utilities: Registry Cleaner] to remove all registry entries referring to folders deleted in step #3 and/or #4.

6.) Using Regedit, I deleted the following registry keys...

* HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard
* HKLM\Software\HP
* HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard
* HKCU\Software\HP

[Again, use your imagination... Search on keywords like, Hewlett, Packard, HP, etc]

7.) While Still in Regedit, I searched for 'PML Driver' and deleted any keys found. [Deleting some, required elevated priviledges. Right-Clicking on the key and left-clicking on Permissions allowed me to grant myself Full rights to the Registry key after which I could delete them.]

8.) I created a restore point and rebooted.

9.) I did a complete, FULL installation [incl... extended capabilities] and rebooted. The Printer was automatically found and configured over my wireless network.

10.) I attempted to recreate the problem as described in the first paragraph of this post.

THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mary McCanta
Message 16 of 21 (204 Views)

Sorry this didn't work for you. I notice that in step 7 you searched for 'PML Driver'. I know that when I did the registry edit I searched on 'PML' not 'PML Driver' so maybe there's some stuff you missed?

Could also be that HP has more than one issue!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Drew Phillibert
Message 17 of 21 (204 Views)

I actually searched on both....but by searching on just 'PML', I found some registry items that I am pretty sure we not Printer or HP related.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Drew Phillibert
Message 18 of 21 (204 Views)

Hey, maybe this will save a few steps.... Here is a link to the All-in-One Software Removal Utility.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-24061-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&os=228&product=391182

This utility apparently works with the PSC 2350, 24xx, 25xx, Photosmart 2610 and 2710, and the OfficeJet 7310 and the accompanying software.

All other PSC's have the following Software Cleanup Utility...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-11696-6&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&os=228&product=90787

Gonna try this and see if I get better results.... BRB
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mary McCanta
Message 19 of 21 (204 Views)

Good point about the PML registry search finding non-HP stuff. I just disregarded the stuff that came up where PML was just part of another phrase or encrypted key. I only deleted the PML stuff that was related to HP, printing, or in a key folder labeled PML.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Drew Phillibert
Message 20 of 21 (204 Views)

Alright, I guess I am done with this for another few years. Maybe in time, HP will decide that this is something that they want to address. Have viewed some articles and their current 'solution' ... which is a workaround in my mind..... is to use the web interface for your printer to query the ink levels.

Anyway... for the record...here's the update...

The Software removal/cleanup utilities, don't work! At least not completely. I ran a level 4 uninstall and it only uninstalled some of the HP software. I had to go to Add/Remove prog to remove the rest.

Then I still had to delete all the folders mentioned above in the previous post.

This time however, when editing the registry I found a whole crap load more entries for HP. Mind, you this is after running the Level 4 uninstall program.

The problem with searching the registry for "HP" is that you find ... SearchProvider, FlashPlayer, OpenWithProgId, etc. And there are a ton of entries like that, but if you're patient enough you'll find a crap load of strictly HP entries. I think I got them all, along with the Hewlett-Packards and PML Driver HPZ12's as well.

rebooted and went through the installation again. The installation seemed to hit speeds 2-300KB/s faster than before. The installation was proceeding at 5-600KBps during the previous installs while this time It was averaging 850-950KBps and peaked at 1144KBps. The installation still took roughly the same amount of time so I am thinking that somewhere around 100MB of extra data was transferred this time.

In the end, tho, same result.... The computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device.

*sigh*
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mm926222
Message 21 of 21 (204 Views)

Hey I know this is a really old topic but this thread seems to be the #1 source for information on this error out there, so I wanted to share my solution.

I had this problem with an OfficeJet Pro l7590 shortly after I installed it. It was connected to the network with a manual IP and I was able to get to the web admin page just fine. But when I sent a print job to the printer, it would just say "unable to print" and "error". Then I noticed the "unable to establish two-way communication" problem.

It turned out that the cause was that I changed the host name after installation. In the web admin page, under Networking -> Device there was a spot to change it, and I did. After that, all of these problems happened. After I put it back to the default, it was fine. It's possible to go into the printer settings and configure the port to print to the IP address instead of the host name, and I imagine that would work for those that also use static IPs. For me, changing the host name back was the easiest solution.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation