PCL XL error Subsystem: KERNEL Error: IllegalOperatorSequence (157710 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Clinton Griffin
Message 1 of 54 (157,710 Views)

PCL XL error Subsystem: KERNEL Error: IllegalOperatorSequence

I purchased a HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi MFP and connected to my HP Laptop with Vista 64-bit operating system and received the following errors when trying to print from most applications:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence

After many hours of reinstalling the drivers, the firmware, on the phone with Microsoft and on the phone with HP to no avail, I discovered the work around myself.

I downloaded the HP Universal Print Driver Series for Windows Vista 64-Bit and this driver works! Here is the link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3271558&...

This solved my problem and hopefully it helps you.

- Clint
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 54 (157,591 Views)

Re: PCL XL error Subsystem: KERNEL Error: IllegalOperatorSequence

Clint,

Just so you know what you were dealing with, as it may resurface, see both of Chris H's replies in this thread. Since the error was the same, it was a driver fault, and replacing the driver, not necessarily that specific UPD driver, that fixed it.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do;HP-FORUMS-S-WPA-IDX=H37N4f36...!-2044546196!-1667575472?threadId=1203940&admit=109447627+1203190733494+28353475

I'm glad it's working for you.

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Rich Kilgore
Message 3 of 54 (157,591 Views)

I have the same problem on the HP TouchSmart running Vista 64-bit. The test page prints, but nothing from the Touchsmart other than text from Notepad will print (e.g. IE Explorer 7 - print any website).

The universal driver workaround above enables grayscale printing but not color.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Can anyone confirm that the Vista 64-bit driver for this printer works on any platform with the CM1312?
Occasional Visitor
Rich Kilgore
Message 4 of 54 (157,591 Views)

Update:

I continued to look at the issue and now think the problem is not the driver, but the application software. Using the 64-bit driver for the CM1312:

1. I can print color using Paint and text using Notepad.

2. I cannot print from Adobe 9, IE 7 and Office 2007 (downloaded 9/17/08) in color. If I do I get the
PCL XL error
Subsytem: KERNEL
Error: Illegal Operator Sequence
Operator: EndSession
Position: 15

3. I CAN print all the products in 2 if I switch to grayscale.

4. I can print screen captures from the products in 2 using Paint - which may be my workaround until HP and Microsoft get together on a solution.

So does anyone from HP monitor this and report the issue and resolve it?

So theThe problem for me is color printing in Microsoft products.
Occasional Visitor
Clinton Griffin
Message 5 of 54 (157,591 Views)

An HP employee with America's Escalation Team, IPG Global Competency Center (a department in HP) has been researching this issue for the past couple weeks. I will copy him on this thread to help expeidite the resolution for everyone concerned. Thanks! -Clint
Occasional Visitor
Fluxtronic
Message 6 of 54 (157,591 Views)

I have two computers side by side on a network with CM1312nfi MFP. Both Vista 64 bit. One works, one gets the error stated in this thread.

Computers:
1. FAIL: HP s3430f, Vista 64 (Home Premium)
2. WORKS: Dell T7400, Vista 64 (Business)
3. WORKS: Sony Vaio, Vista 32 (Home Premium)

Perhaps it is an HP computer printing to an HP printer with an HP driver... communication error. Frustrating wasting time with it... please fix ASAP.
Occasional Visitor
David Charles
Message 7 of 54 (157,591 Views)

Having the same problem with the CM1312nfi MFP working with a Windows Vista 64 bit, I too found that I get the Kernal error message when printing from Adobe or Word. I printed a picture via Microsoft Photo Gallery and it printed the picture fine. When printing from my Laptop, which uses Vista 32 bit, both Word and Adobe print fine and in color.

What to do? All of my printing comes from Microsoft and Adobe products!

-Dave
Occasional Visitor
Elizabeth Weaver
Message 8 of 54 (157,591 Views)

I'm having a similar problem... My HP laptop, which is running 32-bit Vista can print to the 1312nfi just fine, but my HP desktop, which runs 64-bit Vista continues to give an error regardless of what I try to print, save the test page which I have 15 beautiful copies of now!

I'm currently downloading the Universal Driver Series mentioned above, but installing new drivers hasn't helped the previous 9 times I've tried it...

Will update ASAP.

~Elizabeth
Occasional Visitor
Bronwyn Pullar
Message 9 of 54 (157,591 Views)

I have exactly the same problem in terms of error messages from my printer.

I too have the CM131nfi MFP and the Touchsmart 64 bit HP comnputer.
Occasional Visitor
William Kocsis
Message 10 of 54 (157,591 Views)

Same problem for my HP dv7-1130 laptop & Laserjet CM1312nfi MFP.
I get:

PCL XL error
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: EndSession
Position: 15

when printing from Word 2007.
No problem with NotePad.

I'm amazed that HP can't fix this!
Bill
Occasional Visitor
Clinton Griffin
Message 11 of 54 (154,968 Views)

After much research and frustration, HP's final resolution for me was to pack it in a box and return it to HP for a full refund. (Save your Box!) -Clint
Occasional Visitor
Orlando Cendejas
Message 12 of 54 (154,968 Views)

I have a similar "PCL XL Error" problem which I will try to explain in this same thread as I see that solutions often come from parallel examples, and I will try to address the points made by others.

I'm printing on a brand new HP Laserjet CM 1312 MFP.

My OS is Win XP which, thanks to this and other "PCL XL Error" threads, now is updated to SP3. My system is laptop Dell. (I've seen many are posting errors from laptops)

I recently downloaded the newest driver released by HP, and also updated the firmware.

Since I saw this last remark about .NET I upgraded that too up to 3.5 SP1.

I'm printing from Adobe Acrobat Pro 8, documents previously prepared in Office Word 2007.

When I get these errors they always show up on different pages at different intervals. The kinds of errors are also different, as you will see from these examples:

Error: MissingAttribute
Operator: 0x46
Position: 2303

Error: IllegalTag
Operator: 0x18
Position: 1280

Error: IllegalTag
Operator: 0x40
Position: 237

Error: InternalError 0x7
Operator: 0x46
Position: 2852

Subsystem: IMAGE
Error: ExtraData
Operator: ReadImage
Position: 48400

The number of InternalError occurrencies is 3.
The number of IllegalTag errors is 18.
The number of ExtraData errors is 1.
The number of MissingAttribute errors is 7.

The total number of PCL XL Error pages printed out is therefor 29, out of some 931 pages printed out.

The documents I'm trying to print are very large, sending approximately upwards of 300 MB if I print everything in one go, more than 50 pages in full color, at 600 dpi.

But I rarely get there in one go. Since I try to avoid losing paper I've been trying to send small packets with no more than 10 pages and even then I may get an error at the second page.

I suppose it could be a memory problem, since the larger the job the more likely the occurrency of a problem, but that might not be true. I saw somewhere in this forum someone had to change a board.

Some of these files I've printed just fine from other PCs to other HP printers in just one go.

I'm printing through USB connection so it might be a problem with the cable but it came with a brand new HP printer, an OfficeJet K8600 and it gave no trouble there.

Once the whole document went through printing 133 pages without error. Since I like to leave documents in the spooler sometimes to avoid wasting time, I just clicked on re-start. Instead of getting exactly the same result this time it crashed after some 20 pages.

While I write this I'm going to try to uninstall .NET completely, but I don't know if that is necessary for some other software that installed it.

I am running out of options and would kindly like some urgent answers because today is the last day for money back and I've been trying to solve this on my own so I don't have to return the whole machine.

Could it be related to a faulty machine?
Occasional Visitor
Clinton Griffin
Message 13 of 54 (154,968 Views)

I worked with a programmer at HP from 8/28 to 11/12 on this issue. I sent him multiple files and pieces of information to no avail. Save yourself the hassle and return the printer. HP has not been able to resolve this issue.
Occasional Advisor
Dennis in TN
Message 14 of 54 (154,968 Views)

I have the same problem with a CM1312nfi printer and a Dell XPS studio with 64 bit Vista home premium.

The same printer with another computer (an HP with XP Media Center) works fine.

Occasional Visitor
RON KELSO
Message 15 of 54 (154,968 Views)

Clint, If I take your advise and send back my HP CM1312 MFP Series printer, do you know what will work it its place? Can you put me in touch with the fellow at HP that you have been working with? Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Ron Kelso
Occasional Advisor
Dennis in TN
Message 16 of 54 (154,968 Views)

I was able to everything working with Vista (64 bit) Home Premium.

First - I had a new computer - so to be safe - I used RESTORE - to put it back to factory settings. Same with the printer.

NEXT - I got this advice from HP:

Workaround 1: Change the Print Data Optimization setting from Auto to Optimize for Text and Vector. (Control Panel Printing Preferences-Advanced tab)

Workaround 2: Install and use the HP M1319f Multifunction Series PS driver found on the HP M1319f Multifunction Series software CD

I chose #1 above and my printer worked for the first time.

But the fax didn't work.

I also noticed that although the software install worked this time, the printer firmware was added, but the date of the printer firmware (May 08) didn't change (it wasn't loading - although no error)

So next - I manually loaded the latest firmware successfully (here's the firmware link)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=...

And then uninstalled the HP drivers and HP store - then reloaded the software and BINGO - everything worked.

Occasional Visitor
Rojelia Marvel
Message 17 of 54 (154,968 Views)

Okay, my husband and I just purchased the CM1312nfi and are trying to print postcards. It will print 2 pages then the 3rd page gives an error:
PCL XL error
error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: EndChair
Position: 36

We are working off XP, not VISTA. What is the bottom line - can it be repaired or not? Not sure what the final verdict was from previous emails....how frustrating. HELP. Thanks.
Rockie
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 18 of 54 (154,968 Views)

See thread http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1249984

The resolution appears to be to install Service Pack 3 on Windows XP.
Occasional Visitor
Rojelia Marvel
Message 19 of 54 (154,968 Views)

We'll try that - thanks
Occasional Advisor
CCMMFR
Message 20 of 54 (155,752 Views)

A clarification, please?

Clint started the thread with PCL XL Kernel errors when printing from a Vista-64 machine. The universal driver he used 'solved' his problem.

In my case (so far) that is true.

Later in the thread, Clint sent the printer back to HP. But, I don't see the reason for that.

Clint, did you continue to have problems? Quite a number of posts vary so widely from what started this thread, I'm missing what led to your final conclusion.

'This solved my problem and hopefully it helps you.' sounded VERY good to me!!

Thanks!
Occasional Advisor
Dennis in TN
Message 21 of 54 (155,058 Views)

I've got an update --- I previously reported above that everything worked OK with HP's recommended changes in a menu.

Yesterday I printed a color PDF from the web and I now got the PCL XL error again. Drats !!

Back to the drawing board.

I then attempted the Universal Print Driver (PS) and it didn't work either.

Then I rebooted the printer - no good.

As an aside - if I print the same file in monocrome - it works.

But, alas - it's a color printer.

Occasional Advisor
Dennis in TN
Message 22 of 54 (155,058 Views)

Further to the above - I tried the UPD in the first post (PL6 instead of postscript) and now it works again.

Occasional Visitor
Clinton Griffin
Message 23 of 54 (155,058 Views)

Brad,

I returned the printer becuase I had to use two different drivers to operate the printer 100%. The Universal to Print and the Supplied driver to scan and fax. This was inefficient.
Occasional Visitor
Noman Mohammed
Message 24 of 54 (155,058 Views)

I HAVE P2015 PRINTER
IF I ATTACH IN WINDOWS XP PRINT IS OK BUT WHEN I CONNECT IN OUR LAPTOP VISTA WHEN I GIVE PRINT COMOND MORE THEN 1 PRINT I RECIEVED ERROR
PCL XL ERROR
SUBSYSTEM: KERNEL
ERROR: ILLEGAL OPERATORSEQUENCE
OPERATOR: ENDCHAR
POSITION: 25
Occasional Visitor
Rohit Srivastava
Message 25 of 54 (155,058 Views)

This issue could be resolved using the below setting in printer driver. Open Printing Preferences > Advanced Tab > Print Optimization > Change it from Auto to Optimize for Raster.
Below attachment will give you the exact setting options.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.