PCL 5/6 (1435 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sheriweaver3
Message 1 of 3 (1,435 Views)

PCL 5/6

Is the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus compatable with PCL 5/6 for software interface ?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 3 (1,390 Views)

Re: Does HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus support PCL 5/6?

[ Edited ]
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 3 of 3 (1,377 Views)

Re: Does HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus support PCL 5/6?

[ Edited ]

The link above is for the 6500 model. Here is the proper link for the OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus.

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Officejet-Pro/CM750A?HP-Officejet-Pr...

According to the document "History of Printer Command Language"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpl04568&jumpid...

the PCL3 language that the new 8600 is using was developed 29 years ago in 1984. This might be OK, except for the fact that if we use the so called Universal Print Driver in its PCL 5 or PCL 6 rendition, we cannot communicate with the device! I ran into a snag with this recently when I was traveling. I was unable to use the PCL 5 or PCL 6 UPD to connect with an OfficeJet 7310 (2009 model). I really didn't want to install the 7310 drivers on my laptop permanently, but I needed to get some work done, so I had to spend over 2 hours on my vacation with multiple attempts to put the full 7310 package on my machine.  My laptop is a Pavilion dv8408us running Vista32 and using the USB connection.

I thought that these devices used at least the PCL 5e language, which according to the history document, allowed for the necessary bi-directional communication with modern equipment.

I think it is outrageous that HP would put a 29 year old driver on to a new machine and then not allow us to communicate with it. What if we have multiple HP devices in our home offices? I have the LaserJet 3050 and I'd like to be able to use a common software and driver platform for printing at least and maybe for scanning too. I need a flatbed scanner to complement my set up. The scanning function is important now too and this capability exists on probably better than half of the HP printers out there. How about having scanning functionality in the UPD? The amount of time wasted everywhere with these driver and software issues must be huge. 

Thanks to sheriweaver3 for bringing up this issue. I've saved the trip down to BestBuy.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.