Re: Officejet pro 8600 N911g Network issues (92 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chrisk1808
Message 1 of 2 (133 Views)

Officejet pro 8600 N911g Network issues

Hi, I've got an issue with an officejet 8600 N911g staying connected to my wireless network. It was working completely fine until our old router randomly died. Now that we've installed a new router (a couple actually) it won't work. I've tried several different routers and it won't work on any of them.

It connects at first and will be online status for about 30 mins. It will then disconnect and go offline. Then, randomly throughout the day it will reconnect for about 30 mins. I know that it's probably a problem with an dynamic IP address. However, I've tried changing both printer and router settings and nothing has fixed it. I've made it a static IP address in the range of the routers assigned addresses and still nothing. Like I said, we've tried three different routers with the same problem but our current router is a Netgear B90-755027-15. Everything else on the network is working fine except our other printer, which is also an HP Officejet Pro 6xxx (can't remember the exact model.) Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 2 (92 Views)

Re: Officejet pro 8600 N911g Network issues

When assigning Static IP Addresses you should make sure that they are outside of the DHCP range of the router but within the subnet.

For example a typical router configuration would look like this:

Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1 - This is the routers IP Address

Subnet - 255.255.255.0  - This gives your current subnet 256 available IP addresses

DHCP Range - 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100  - This means you can dynamically assign up to 99 IP Addresses out of 256

PC1 - 192.168.1.2 - DHCP/dynamically assigned

PC2 - 192.168.1.3 - DHCP/dynamically assigned

TV - 192.168.1.4 - DHCP/dynamically assigned

Printer1 - 192.168.1.101 - Statically assigned

Printer2 - 192.168.1.102 - Statically assigned

Try confirming that your static IPs are outside of the DHCP range on your netgear and see if the problem is resolved or not.  DHCP also has leases that it issues to each assigned device.  If a device goes offline the DHCP feature will reserve that IP Address for XXX hours/minutes.  After the lease expires that IP will become available to the next device.  Sometimes you can bump up your lease times and avoid IP conflicts, although usually folks want lower lease times to refresh thier machines more frequently.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation