Officejet Pro 8500 + Windows 2008 R2 print server (3534 Views)
Occasional Collector
tekster
Message 1 of 5 (3,534 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 + Windows 2008 R2 print server

I am trying to add 2 HP Officejet Pro 8500 to our network and manage them through a print server that is running Windows 2008 R2 x64. However, I cannot install the drivers to the server for the clients to use, I can only install the drivers on the workstations manually. Is there a way to get these printer drivers on the print server? Thanks

Occasional Visitor
bh-illinois
Message 2 of 5 (3,517 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 + Windows 2008 R2 print server

I just reported a similar problem a few topics below this.  I can't install on SBS 2011 which is based on Server 2008 R2.  Won't install for me either.  I have tried the latest driver.

Occasional Visitor
T. Chris Minor
Message 3 of 5 (3,456 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm haviing the same problem. When I run the install it reports 2008 R2 64 bit is not a (suppported OS). HEY HP when will you update the driver to recognise 2008 Server Ver R2?????

We all need it ASAP!!!!

T. Chris Minor

Network Admin

Sacramento Ca

Occasional Visitor
DVAVCS
Message 4 of 5 (3,417 Views)

We are looking to purchase and deploy ten of these machines for our remote users. 

They do all their work through our terminal server which runs Server 2008 R2.  Even using the compatibility modes I cannot get the drivers to install normally.

The business unit is eager to use the ePrint features these machines provide, but if I cannot get the drivers to function properly on our server I will have to tell them no and replace their failing machines with something else.

Is there a upcoming fix for the installer?

For the adventerous I have found the following workaround.

Run the installer, get the error message.  Do not close the installer so it does not run its cleanup routine.

Go to devices and printers and use the add a printer function.  Install a local printer, create a new local port.  For the print driver use the have disk button.  The installer unzipped itself to (User directory)/appdata/local data/temp/7zS49E7  point the install to the location, and the install does complete.

Since we have not purchased the printers yet I cannot test if this workaround does indeed work, let alone enables all the functions of these devices.  If someone with the device could find out I'd love to hear the results.

Occasional Visitor
Bart Smet.
Message 5 of 5 (3,214 Views)

You don't have to push it so far.  You can manually add a printer to the server by it's ip address.  When asked for a driver, just point to the CD that comes with the printer.  You can even add a 32 -bit driver for 32-bit clients.

Silly although that this is not directly supported by the installer.

I haven't tried it for the fax driver.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.