Officejet G85 and Windows XP will not scan from Director or Front Panel (132 Views)
Advisor
Message 1 of 34 (132 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet G85 and Windows XP will not scan from Director or Front Panel

I have been trying to install the drivers from the CD I purchased from HP for two days now. I have Windows Xp Professional running on a new Dell 8300. The Drivers I have are version 3.10 (CD). I have the printer connected through a parallel port. Every function except the scanner works just fine--the scanner will only scan in other applications (Microsoft Word, Publisher, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, etc.) When I try to scan from the Front Panel, it sits there for about a minute trying to scan then says "Cannot communicate with PC". When I try to scan from the Director, nothing happens. The same thing when I try to go into scan settings--nothing.

I suspect that the scanner is still using the Windows XP driver rather than the HP driver because when I go to the control panel, the description for the scanner is HP G85 Scanner. When I check the control panel for the fax and printer, it says G Series. I read on this forum that when it says G85, the driver is the Windows XP driver.(???)

Anyway, I need help. I've searched this forum until I have run out of suggestions. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers about a hundred times....sometimes with the cables connected...sometimes without. I have shutdown and rebooted about the same amount of times. I have checked the parallel port connection, have changed the compatability to Windows 2000, etc. I don't know what else to do...please somebody help me.....PLEASE.

Advisor
Message 2 of 34 (132 Views)

Re: Officejet G85 and Windows XP will not scan from Director or Front Panel

Have you done all the steps given in the link given below?

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpu01837
Advisor
Message 3 of 34 (132 Views)

Yes....I've done that several times. I don't believe there is a problem with communication because I can scan just fine from within other applications. I really believe the problem is, for some reason unknown to me, the Windows XP driver is still operating the scanner while all other functions of the printer are driven by the HP drivers. I don't know why XP won't let the HP driver control the scanner or how to fix the problem....maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so....
Trusted Contributor
Message 4 of 34 (132 Views)

Hey, Barbara,

Try going to the scanner properties in Device Manager and update the drivers, pointing to the CD for the HP drivers.

HTH

Honored Contributor
Message 5 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Barbara,

You can try to run the HP director in Win98 compatible modus. Right click the director icon on you desktop and choose properties->compatibility and then select Win98.

Hope this helps.
carpe diem
Advisor
Message 6 of 34 (132 Views)

Thank you Saul...that solved the communication problem with the Director...I can now scan using HP's software. I wonder why HP's customer service didn't know what to do?

I still cannot scan from the front panel...it still sits there for a little while trying to scan then I get an error message saying "Cannot connect to PC". I've scoured the forum and HP's online help and have done everything suggested. Since my original post, I have also gone into my Bios and changed the parallel port setting to ECP (it was set to Auto), assigned a channel to the DMA controller, flashed my Bios and have downloaded the driver (I originally installed with the CD). I have uninstalled, used the HP system cleaner, used two registry cleaners and reinstalled the drivers several more times....so far nothing has helped the front panel problem. Apparently, the communication with this printer all seems to be going in on direction--from the software to the printer...communication going from the printer to the software doesn't work. If anyone has any more suggestions, I will give it a try...Thank you.
Honored Contributor
Message 7 of 34 (132 Views)

Have you tried the EPP mode for the paralel port in the bios? This sometimes works better for scanners and might be worth trying.
carpe diem
Advisor
Message 8 of 34 (132 Views)

This is a followup to the problem of not being able to scan using the front panel of the G85. After some considerable research on the net, I discovered a small little blurb tucked away in HP's "help" files. This so called "help" file: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml;jsessionid=54K0VSFV3ED1TQFIKSAUNZQ?reg=na&cc=us&... Lists the features the built in Windows XP generic drivers will and will not provide for the G85. The scanning features that the Windows driver will not provide are exactly the features that I cannot get to work. Armed with this little piece of information, I checked the scanner driver library file being used by the scanner. It is the Windows XP driver (hpojwia.dll, version 5.1.2500.0, size 317kb). I then checked the disk I received from HP (you know, the HP DRIVERS that support Windows XP). Guess what.....it's the same stinking driver that's in Windows XP. They renamed it hpojwiad.dll. It's 25kb larger than the generic Windows XP driver but the version is exactly the same. This means that HP is no longer supporting the scanning function of the G85....they are simply copying the Windows XP generic driver and selling it back to us as their driver. So, I now have what amounts to a broken G85 that does not communicate with my computer and never will because HP has decided that since they are no longer making money by selling the G85, they are not going to spend any money supporting it. This tells me they are thinking purely in the present...how much money can they make NOW. What about their past customers that would be potential future customers....apparently they think we are just as disposable as they have made their printers! Unfortunately, I think Canon and Epson have the same strategy...by not supporting their older printers, they think they will sell more new printers. I'm finished playing this game....I'm going to check Apple to see how they operate...meanwhile, I will be putting this G85 on Ebay for whatever I can get which will be more than it's worth!!!!
Trusted Contributor
Message 9 of 34 (132 Views)

Hey, Barbara,

Since you've (apparently) already given up on the G85, you might as well try the Windows NT 4.0 driver and see what happens before getting rid of the beast. ;)

I see that the NT driver listed on HP's website is version 2.43, dated 2/01, while the 2000 and XP drivers are both version 3.10, dated 1/03.

If you decide to try it, post back and let us know what happens, please.

Also, please assign points to those of us who took our time to post responses to your situation. We would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Advisor
Message 10 of 34 (133 Views)

Hi Craig

Yes, I tried that a couple of times (I have the original disk that came with the printer) but the printer would not initilize. If I could figure out which file on the original disk is the scanner driver and then figure out how to install just that file, that would be worth a shot. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

Also, it has occurred to me that there are so many frustrated people looking for drivers for HP products that writing this "missing" drivers would be a nice little business to get into...most of the machines needed for testing can probably be picked up on Ebay (pretty cheaply, I would guess). Just a thought for some of you young entrepreneurs out there...
Advisor
Message 11 of 34 (132 Views)

This is a followup to my original problem. I purchased a USB cable, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.....I still have the same problem..I cannot scan from the front panel.
Occasional Visitor
Message 12 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi,
I am experiencing similar problems with a client where we upgraded to Win XP.

I have found this piece of information that meight be helpful.

Windows 2000 and XP: The all-in-one will print but will not scan
If the HP all-in-one will print and does not show any symptoms of communications problems, but will not scan, there may be a problem with the Usbscan.sys file in Windows.

Microsoft support document 320549 indicates that there may be a problem with the Usbscan.sys file. HP has contacted Microsoft and is currently investigating this problem. Microsoft may have a solution in the form of a newer version of USBscan.sys. Click here to view Microsoft document 320549.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320549

I have ordered the driver. I hope it will solve the problem.
Regards
Lorenzo
Advisor
Message 13 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Lorenzo,

I appreciate your help...I am going to contact Microsoft to see if they can help me.

My scanner problem involves the front panel....I can scan from within various applications but I cannot scan from the front panel. There is supposed to be bi-directional communication between the G85 and the PC....what is actually happening is that there is communication going only one way....from the PC to the G85.

I am 99% sure the problems lies with the driver. HP is using the Windows generic driver to operate the scanner function of the G85 and that driver is not able to fully support the G85 scanner functions. It is quite apparent to me by now that HP has no intention of ever updating this driver. Whether Microsoft will is doubtful but I do intend to ask them. Without the help of HP or Microsoft, we are just out of luck with the G85 unless some enterprising person wants to go into the driver business and start writing drivers for these older printers...and there are a lot of them around...not only HP but Epson, Canon, etc.
Trusted Contributor
Message 14 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi barbara,
you have installed the device with Cd drivers or drivers g85 inside in the windows Xp?
Advisor
Message 15 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Fran,

The process that I have followed numerous times is:

1) Turn off the printer and disconnect the communication cable (I have tried both parallel and USB.
2) Uninstall the previously installed drivers by using the uninstall program supplied by HP. I then run HP's system cleaner and run two different registry cleaners.
3) While the G85 is still disconnected, I install the drivers using sometimes the CD I purchased from HP and sometimes the drivers I downloaded.
4) After the reboot following the driver installation, I connect the G85 and turn it on.
5) Play and Plug recognizes the G85.
6) The drivers finish installing.
7) Still cannot scan from front panel.

One thing that does puzzel me is why the file from HP's drivers (hpojwiad.dll) does not appear in the drivers for the scanner. The file that does appear (hpojwia.dll) is the Windows generic driver. Eventhough, I believe both these files are virtually the same, why is the Windows file loaded rather than the file from HP? Any suggestions?
Trusted Contributor
Message 16 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi,
But are you sure that have setting the destination scann in the director setting?
Open director
setting
Scan setting
setting botton scan
when open the window with the destination program this are in the right window?

Because strangely enough that only scan to function doesn't work..
Bye
Advisor
Message 17 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Fran,

The destinations were set in the Director but just to make sure I didn't do something wrong when I set them originally, I deleted them and then reset them again but I still have the problem.
Trusted Contributor
Message 18 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi barbara,
Sorry but haven't ideas now...but when you push the scan botton on the display of the all in one appear the choose destination?
Bye
Occasional Visitor
Message 19 of 34 (132 Views)

Barbra I have had a HP G85 for more then 2 years now.
when I first got it I was running windows 98
and all of the G85 ran great.
once I upgraded to xp thats when the G85
started giving me problems.
the Printer worked well. but as your problem
states the scanner stopped working.
well I tryed and tryed to get it to work upgradeding the drivers everything.
with no avail.

its been atleast 2 years now and today
I find myself needing a scanner so back to trying to get it to work will let you know how it goes

John
Occasional Visitor
Message 20 of 34 (132 Views)

Dear Barbara,

I have been checking this Support pages on and off because I have exactly the same problem you are describing. It makes me mad at HP that they act purely based on short sighted share holder value mentality. The only problem: which company is there which does not behave like this?

My feeling is, that Epsons support is a little better but I do not like their fixed print head desing. I have had 3 epson printers and inevitably after 2-3 years the print head is gone and servicing is as expensive as buying a new printer ...

Bad situation.

Thanks for your detailed reports on your findings. Makes me keep my sanity after hours of deinstalling-resinstalling-cable unplugging and repluggings - millions of reboots ...

What an "XPerience" ...
Advisor
Message 21 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Markus,

Sorry to hear you have the same problem...it's pathetic that we are all at the mercy of a few greedy companies that, interestingly, all seem to be operating exactly the same way (makes you wonder if there has been some kind of behind the scenes agreement between these companies).

I do a search on the web every so often to see if someone has written a driver for the G85 that will actually work but so far, I haven't found one.

I do know if I am ever fortunate enough to have enough money to start a company, I'm going into the driver business!
Occasional Visitor
Message 22 of 34 (132 Views)

Seems to be a chipset problem. I got two DELL pc's. a 8250 and a 8300. The 8250 has a VIA chipset and works fine with the director and scan to button. the 8300 with a intel chipset doesn't work with the HP director (only in windows98 mode) and the scan to button. Can't find a solution on the intel site yet.

Henk
Advisor
Message 23 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi Henk,

Thank you for the information. I had read somewhere that there might be a compatibility problem with Dell PC's and HP printers but I didn't know anymore than that. Please let me know if you find a solution...I'll do some looking too and will let you know if I find out anything.

Barb
Occasional Visitor
Message 24 of 34 (132 Views)

Oops, I just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. My G85 'scan to' was working just fine in 2000 and does not work in XP. I have a Dell Dimension XPS B733r if that helps.
Occasional Visitor
Message 25 of 34 (132 Views)

Hi all,

I've also gone through all this.

Here are my results:

I have a new, clean install of Win XP pro. Hardware: HP PSC 950; Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

Downloaded & Installed the "current" (1,5 year-old) drivers from HP.

Result:
- Scan from Third Party Apps works fine
- Scan from Director doesn't work (just nothing happens, Scan Application doesn't launch)
- Scan via front Panel doesn't work (nothing happens)

---

Set the compatibility mode of the director software to Win98/ME

Result:
- Scan from Director works now
- Scan via front Panel doesn't work (nothing happens)

---

Now comes the tricky stuff: Set the AutoStart Entry "HPAiODevice..." also to W98/ME compatibility mode

Result:
- Scan from Director works fine
- Scan via front Panel tries to invoke the Director Scan Software, however it seems to pass wrong parameters; I get an error message stating that it couldn't find C:\System\1085690541 (which is a folder created by the HP Inst prog, but lies in the HP Software Installation folder)

Conclusion:

I think the whole HP Director stuff is just AWFUL BAD SOFTWARE and should be fixed ASAP by HP

Any comments, maybe from HP staff???

Regards,

Andreas
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.