Officejet 6110 Scanner Failure on Initialization. (2999 Views)
Occasional Visitor
BOB TOAY
Message 1 of 3 (2,999 Views)

Officejet 6110 Scanner Failure on Initialization.

Please can someone help. I have an HP OfficeJet 6110. It has generally worked well for the past 2.5 years but now when I switch it on the scanner mechanism starts it's normal noises when it is positioning itself but then continues past it's normal starting position and continues to creep towards the right end of the machine. When it reaches the end it doesn't stop but tries to continue moving. The resulting noise is one which sounds like as stripped ratchet or stripping gears. This goes on for about 1.5 minutes then stops. The screen on the front panel then displays the ever-so-annoying message 'Scanner failure. Turn power off then on again - annoying because it just doesn't work.
I have gone through the other fixes described in the HP Troubleshooter which also do not work.
I have taken the top off and attempted to clean the shutter wheel but can't find it as it has been described. PLEASE HELP!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BOB TOAY
Message 2 of 3 (2,999 Views)

Re: Officejet 6110 Scanner Failure on Initialization.

I found a forum site called 'fixyourownprinter.com' which successfully helped me solve the problem. Cut and past the following URL:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/22386
Please use plain text.
Advisor
redram
Message 3 of 3 (2,999 Views)

Re: Officejet 6110 Scanner Failure on Initialization.

There's a lot of good information on the fixyourownprinter link provided in this thread - especially in regard to the Torx T-10 screwdriver and removing the covers/panels.

In my experience, lubricating the rods does little more than take care of some relatively minor maintenance. The issue IS, or should I say issues ARE, the cleanliness of the glass, the cleanliness of the lens, the cleanliness of the white strip, sometimes the cleanliness of the mirrors AND an oft forgotten item. The last is the plastic wheel on the motor that drives the toothed belt.

This clear plastic wheel with stripes on it is what tells the electronics the position and amount of travel of the scanner head. This is done through a number of stripes on the wheel. When it's dirty, the electronics don't count the movement correctly, the scanner head is mispositioned and in some cases reaches a mechanical stop while the motor is turning, hence the grinding, as the toothed belt jumps on the drive gear.

By the way, this fix works on the G-series, the R-series and some K-series as well. If you're in there, it's probably best just to clean everything and lube the slides - very lightly with a teflon based lubricant.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation