Officejet 1170cse hangs when printing envelopes (NT4) (114 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Greg Gast
Message 1 of 5 (114 Views)

Officejet 1170cse hangs when printing envelopes (NT4)

I've just installed the printer on a user's new computer, and it will print documents fine, but it hangs when printing envelopes. This happened before with her previous computer, and HP was able to walk me through editing different configuration files.

Unfortunately, HP does not accept purchase orders (even government ones!), and the State of Florida doesn't issue credit cards. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 2 of 5 (114 Views)

Re: Officejet 1170cse hangs when printing envelopes (NT4)

Hi Greg,

What application are you using to print envelopes? Does the same problem happen with another app, if one is available?

Here is a document about envelope specifications and loading information:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/multifunction/support_doc/bpu00563.html

I hope that is of help to you.

Kathy
Occasional Visitor
Greg Gast
Message 3 of 5 (114 Views)

Thanks for answering, Kathy!

She's using Word 97 sp2a. Since it will feed correctly from the paper tray, and it has printed correctly before from her old machine, I think it's a software issue. The only difference between her old machine and the new one is the new one is sp 6, and the old sp4.

What will happen is that she tries to print from a document (Tools/Envelopes), it will feed the envelope slightly (enough to grab it), then hang. The printer window will display the usual message " Envelopes Printing... " We finally gave up on waiting for it after 15 minutes, and mapped her to print to a network printer for her envelopes, but that doesn't fix this problem.
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 4 of 5 (114 Views)

Hi again Greg!

One weird thing is that the OfficeJet should have reported back an error when the envelope didn't print if bi-directional communication is established. If the OfficeJet is connected directly to the customer's PC, make sure the port is configured to ECP Mode (in the PC's BIOS).

If they are networking the OfficeJet Pro, you need to have a JetDirect box in the communication.

I think the problem you are having is communication. If you are already using ECP
Mode, disconnect and reconnect the cable and try again.

Good luck!

Kathy
Occasional Visitor
Greg Gast
Message 5 of 5 (114 Views)

Karen:
Thanks for your help! I was able to steal her machine and check. Her printer port was set to ECP, 0378h, IRQ7, DMA3. Changed to ECP/Auto, and OS changed to No PnP (Gateway BIOS).

Works now!

Thanks!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.