OfficeJet Pro 8600e Printer (N911a) and Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 Compatibility (698 Views)
Collector
Wheelin_Rev
Message 1 of 5 (698 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet Pro 8600e Printer (N911a) and Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 Compatibility

For Christmas, my really wonderful wife gave me a really nice looking HP OfficeJet Pro 8600e All-in-One Printer (N911a). Giving the User Guide operator's manual a quick read-through, the most desirable feature that I saw was the fact that this printer uses four separate ink cartridges; one for black and three for the individual base colors. That is fantastic! No more tossing the three-reservoir single color cartridge in my old printer when just one of its three colors runs out.

There was one issue that "jumped up" at me concerning the printer's compatibility with the various Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (OS). The manual states that the full feature compliment of the HP OJ8600e printer may not be available unless the computer's OS is the latest and greatest; i.e. Microsoft Windows Version 7. On my 2006 vintage Dell Dimension E510 (yes, I know that it's turning into an antique...), the OS is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3 installed.

QUESTION: Does anybody know what features/capabilities of this multipurpose printer, if any, will be lost (or become not functional / not working correctly) on my new HP OfficeJet Pro 8600e All-in-One Printer (N911a) by using it with the older Microsoft Windows XP Media Center (Service Pack 3) operating system?

Any insight to this question would be ***GREATLY*** appreciated!

Thank you all in advance for any replies.

Have a happy and safe Happy New Year! May 2012 be everybody's best year yet!

Dave

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 5 (692 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600e Printer (N911a) and Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 Compatibility

Please use plain text.
Collector
Wheelin_Rev
Message 3 of 5 (682 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600e Printer (N911a) and Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 Compatibility

Dennis,

Thank you very much for your reply and the reference URLs. I appreciate your taking the time to pull all of that together. Where I went wrong was my failure to cite the specific HP document and paragraph that caught my attention, made me wonder if my system was fully compatible and finally led to me posting the question to the HP Community forum.

I'll blame that boo-boo on two things:
  1. Being a newbie here...
  2. Being way past my bedtime when I posted...
Joking aside, here are the specifics that I should have included in my first post:

PDF URL:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03026243/c03026243.pdf

PDF Title: 
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 User Guide (per the cover page)
Page 14 of 252, Section 1 - Get Started
"NOTE: If you are using the printer with a computer running
Windows XP Starter Edition, Windows Vista Starter Edition,
or Windows 7 Starter Edition, some features might not be
available. For more information, see System requirements."

Now that I am fully awake and have revisited this paragraph, It appears that I mis-read the Note and then mis-quoted the information. I see now where all of the Operating Systems (OS) mentioned were "Starter Editions" whereas what I have is Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3.

As for whether or not I have the 32-bit or 64-bit version, I found a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that describes how to check. Referencing KB827218 at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Under the "System Properties - General" tab, it says "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3" so, in the absence of mentioning "x64" just after "Media Center" (or "Professional" in the KB article), I hope that I am correct in saying that I have a 32-bit system. On one of the HP brochures for this printer and also seen in your references, it states:

Compatible operating systems:
Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP (SP3)* or higher (32-bit only)
*Supports 32-bit only
Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6 or v 10.7
Linux (For more information, see http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html) 

So it appears that I meet the requirement where it is stated "Windows® XP (SP3)* or higher (32-bit only)." I hope that it does not matter that I specifically have the Media Center Edition of XP.

I apologize for being so verbose and detailed here but I am also trying to save some other forum reader some time should they have the same question. I try to make things "idiot proof" which is what I also need to meet my own cranial limitations. Honestly, I am a disabled individual with many deficiencies due to a rare disorder called MELAS. That is a "cousin" to the better known condition of muscular dystrophy.

Dennis, thanks again for your reply. If I have mis-stated or mis-assumed anything above, please let me know. Barring another response, I'll take it that I am good-to-go and will probably have my new printer hooked up early next week. Being in a wheelchair sort of limits my mobility so I'll wait until I have a helper to help set up the printer. From the reviews that I have seen, setup appears to be very easy and straight-forward so I should be covered from here on out.

Happy New Year to ALL!!!

Dave

Dennis Handly wrote:

>Does anybody know what features/capabilities of this multipurpose printer, if any, will be lost?

Hmm, the specs doesn't mention any limitation for XP other than 32 bit:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-18972-238444-12019-3328086-4322914.html

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProdu...

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA3-5706ENL.pdf

http://www8.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=4323660

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 5 (677 Views)

[ Edited ]

>I see now where all of the Operating Systems (OS) mentioned were "Starter Editions"

Yes I saw that but you said you didn't have them.

>I hope that I am correct in saying that I have a 32-bit system.

Yes I assume so.  I'm not sure there were any 64 bit versions that old.

If you're happy, please click on the Kudos star of the replies that helped.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ReturnTheMachin
Message 5 of 5 (613 Views)

My experience is no, it doesn't work on xp. Once the computer goes to sleep, XP sees it as offline, and will not ever get it to come back on line. Re-installing the printer works, until the printer goes to sleep for too long again. Rinse and repeat.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation