OfficeJet 8600 Printer Software won't open from Desktop Icon (624 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Roggie999
Message 1 of 4 (624 Views)

OfficeJet 8600 Printer Software won't open from Desktop Icon

I have purchased a OfficeJet Pro 8600 & installed it on my laptop running Vista.  All works well except that I cannot open the software from the desktop icon.  I get two script errors:

1. Line 52 Char 13, Automation Server Cannot Create Object
  2. Line 2528 Char 13 Library not Registered

I am pretty computer saavy, but have no idea what to do about this.  Calling support always turns into a big deal, even had them screw up my registry once.

Has anyone had this problem?  Does anyone know what to do about it?

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 4 (601 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8600 Printer Software won't open from Desktop Icon

Your scanning software is not properly installed or has become corrupted.  Specifically one of the .dll's that is being called by your icon is not registered on your machine. 

To fix the problem uninstall and reinstall with the latest software package available from http://support.hp.com.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Visitor
WC-Fields
Message 3 of 4 (509 Views)

John, Have same issues with desktop PC, have deleted and reinstalled more than once, actually used HP for assistance in reinstalling. Cannot open the desktop icon for HP Officejet 8600. Win 8.1, AMD 8 core, 16 GB RAM, HELP!
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 4 (507 Views)

I do not have access to a Win8.1 machine so I cannot comment on the exact cleanup steps.

However, whenever presented with a corrupted installation problem with the HP Software I always initiate a manual cleanup of all the HP files I can find.  In general I like to purge C:\Program Files of anything with HP or Hewlett Packard.  After that I like to purge C:\ProgramData for the same folders.  You also want to make sure all the HP printer objects, drivers and driver files have been removed from the Devices and Printers area.  By completing these steps you give yourself a clean slate to reinstall the next time and a better chance at success.  Sometimes digging through the registry is necessary too but I wouldnt worry about that level for now.

If your manual cleaning of the machine happens to get rid of the ties to the bad .dll then your next install will be successful.  If not then you may continue to have errors launching the software.  The last line of defense is to reinstall the OS and start over completly from scratch.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.