Re: OfficeJet 4500 won't come out of power save mode (293 Views)
Occasional Visitor
mgtate
Message 26 of 36 (829 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 4500 won't come out of power save mode

As I said before, mine had been working well as long as I kept it hooked up with my USB cable. However, I went online to another thread in this forum to see if a fix had been issued, and I did find instructions from HP as to how to disable Power Save Mode. So, as per their instructions, I did it...and guess what? It went into Power Save Mode anyway and would not come back out. I got hold of HP through online chat and they referred me to the Escalations team with a case manager and all. They have me a complete new machine on the way, I am sitting here waiting on it to arrive now. I will try it again, in USB mode, and if there are no problems, I will leave well enough alone, as for the most part, the machine works very well and does all I want it to do in USB. We will wait and see...but, whatever you do, DO NOT follow and do the instructions from HP about disabling the Power Save Mode, they dont work...
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 27 of 36 (829 Views)

Thanks to all of you who have responded on this thread. I gave you all three points because at the very least your response tells me I'm not alone.

I'm going to leave it open, because it seems there is still some grief to share, but unless a real "fix" (as in, firmware update or something) is released I don't think there are any more points in this.

Does that sound fair?
Occasional Visitor
mgtate
Message 28 of 36 (829 Views)

FYI...received my replacement machine today. All of the bugs seem to be fixed. I have it set up on wireless and so far every time I have called it up it brings itself our of Power Save Mode and goes back to work. My Case Manager Jay followed up with me and I asked him if he knew if the bugs were fixed and he said it was his understanding that they were. So, I suggest you get hold of HP (especially if your machine is under warranty) and have them replace it.
Occasional Visitor
David Couture
Message 29 of 36 (829 Views)

This is the only fix I was able to get off the HP rep to solve the issue. As well she stated it's a know issue and they are working on a firmware update (whenever that may be)

The following worked for me to turn off Power Save Mode. Now I just turn the printer off when I go to bed. It turns on fairly quickly:

Please perform the steps in a sequential manner. Ignore the steps if you have done already.

1) Press * and # at the same time on the Printer.

2) Press 1, 2, and 4 in sequence.

3) Go to underware menu (This is the first menu that pops up after enter that sequence).

4) Go to System Menu by using the the right arrow. Press OK
5) Look for System Mode Time Out. Press OK
6) Set it to 0. Press OK

7) Press the Cancel button to return to main screen after setting the value to '0'."
Occasional Visitor
replayreb
Message 30 of 36 (829 Views)

Thank you David! That's exactly what all of us have been looking for.
Occasional Visitor
replayreb
Message 31 of 36 (830 Views)

I spoke too soon. Whatever I did has effectively killed the printer in that it goes directly into Power Save Mode as soon as I power it up and won't come out of it and I can't get any button to respond or access the option menu because it goes into Power Save Mode as soon I push any button if that makes sense. I've tried a partial reset (holding down # and 3 while plugging it in), a "semi-full" reset (holding down # and 6 while plugging it in) and a full reset (holding down # and 9 while plugging it in) and nothing will undo what I did. I think I changed the time it waits until it goes into Power Save Mode to "0" instead of actually deactivating Power Save Mode. Anyway, I owe you one David because now I can take this printer out back a la Office Space and go buy another brand. It's the ink that's the expensive part anyway :)
Occasional Visitor
Greyhame
Message 32 of 36 (830 Views)

Still have the same problem. In touch with HP on the telephone who seem unaware of the problem and have no way of seeing these notes. They cant see the tech help that was online either.
Occasional Visitor
Greyhame
Message 33 of 36 (830 Views)

OK the tech JayZ said there is no known fix and the new printers will have the same problem and the tech dept are working on a firmware update. I have a suspicion that new printers are OK out of the box, but if you do the fimware update that the priner prompts you to do (which I did) it messes up.
He said other HP printers have the same problem too so don't hope to switch models.

Good luck.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 34 of 36 (830 Views)

Well the printer that started this thread never had a f/w update - it was installed shortly (as in, days) before I posted the question, so its firmware is at least a year old.

I see HP is still shipping this model too, must be something of a record lifespan in this century.
Occasional Visitor
defective
Message 35 of 36 (743 Views)

[ Edited ]

Last HP printer I buy.  I've had this problem with no resolution and it just plain sucks because of this show stopper.  2+ years they have known about this bug and there is no fix.  This won't be happening again in our offices.  It's been a while but I am going to try and return this pdt to the venor anyway.

Occasional Visitor
Richman
Message 36 of 36 (293 Views)

Seams that with so many forum threads started (about at least a dozzen) and over 30k views on one. I imagine that at least that many are experiencing this issue. Seams to be a common, widespread issue and a firmware bug. 

I am using minne with the ehternet wire plugged into the router. Worked great the first day but after going to sleep, a print job would not awaken it. I would have to physically walkinto the room it is in and press a button (usually any button) like the 'OK' button to wakes it up. Very inconveient and not the way it was desiged to operate.

Furthermore, I don't know if it is a separate issue or related to the sleep mode issue, or if anyoe else is experiencing this, but after it went to sleep, it will not scan to the pc. This happened after snanning many dozens of photos the day before and the next day it tells me there are 'No scan options'. While either trying to use the HP Slution Center or the Windows fax and scan to start a scan, they both produce the, 'HP Print Divice Not Found' error. I triedd clsing and reopening the HP Digital Imaging Monitor but did not resolve the isse. Rebooting the pc may get it working again, but I have to much work openat the time of writing this to try it yet. Besides, who wants to connstaanly keep rebootingthier pc everyy time they want to print and scan a document or photo?

This was a printer that my fatheer baught aprox 10 months ago anhad a broken priner cartridge holdeer. They setthis in for repair and baught an HP Officjet 4620 that had an issue with saying that the Printer Head was not found. 

Bottom line is that HP is manufacturing cheaper 'throw-away' machines with o regard to quality. THey appearantly think the consumer wnats a macine that cost between $50-100 but in reality, my father who is in his 70's would much rather pay $150-300 for a macine of better quality that lasted several years. It is commone knowledge that HP makes more on their ink and other supplies but are getting a bad rep with these cheap machines and turning consumer away and thus  ruining their supply and ink market ................. case in point, my father since baught a Canon and has had no issues with it and is very happy. 

It is just a shame that this model has been on the market going on 4 years now and no resolution to these issues. I have pulled up and read many threads poiting to HP CS stating that a firmware update is in the works but nobody has seen it anywhere. So this has been nothing but a very sidhonest lie to all of us loyal HP fas up till this point. I have had 5 HP printing product including this one but will no longer support HP after this experienc eand findig PC mag polling review of  thousands of users who have consistantly rated Samsung, Canon, and Epsom mych higher than Hp in quality and CS. Its on the web. Look it up.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.