Re: OfficeJet 4500 won't come out of power save mode (1139 Views)
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 1 of 36 (1,139 Views)

OfficeJet 4500 won't come out of power save mode

Hey there

The manual makes one mention of "powersave" mode, in relation to a possible scanning issue - the solution is "wait".

In the case of this unit, no amount of waiting solves the problem. The printer does not come out of power save no matter what button you press... the only solution is to pull the power cord. SO even if printing something to it is able to wake it up (and the user swears this doesn't work) you couldn't use it as a fax or copier before doing something mechanical and possibly forcible first. Doesn't strike me as ideal.

This machine does not appear to have upgradeable firmware, or is that just because it's such a new product?

Chris
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
skypottery
Message 2 of 36 (1,139 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 4500 won't come out of power save mode

Mee Too, Chris!
Just missed an important fax call, couldn't get the machine out of power save without pulling the power cord. We have a 2nd line and an 'always on' fax, to not miss any important communications when we are not home. I'd appreciate information on disabling power save if there is no other fix. Sure would like to be able to count on the fax function.
sky
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 3 of 36 (1,139 Views)

Well if I find out anything I'll be sure to let you know. So far no-one else seems to have the problem, so maybe it's an actual fault - perhaps it's time to call it in under the CarePack.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
replayreb
Message 4 of 36 (1,139 Views)

I am having the exact same problem. At random intervals it won't come out of standby and have to unplug the printer and plug it back in to reboot.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 5 of 36 (1,139 Views)

Only thing I can think of is a partial reset. Try the steps for solution 9 on this document from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01963099&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...〈=en

Resets are not a permanent fix but it may buy you more time inbetween the lockouts.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 6 of 36 (1,139 Views)

Hmmm, thanks John

Odd instructions those! Pull the power cable from the back of the printer, *and* from the wall, plug back into the wall & then the printer? What, is there going to be some residual charge in the cable, or does the power *cable* need to be reset by unplugging it from the wall?

Perhaps I inadvertently did carry out this procedure (well, sans the power cable reset!), because since I posted the question the user hasn't reported the problem and it has been more than 2 months, with the printer in more or less daily (and at least weekly) use. I don't recall all the things I did exactly, but removing the USB connection while the printer was down could have been one of them.

As always, thanks for the responses. Have a great week!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 7 of 36 (1,139 Views)

I have had HP support on the phone with me for a problem like this in the past.

The reasoning, as I understood it, was that the fax modem needed to be drained of power. As long as the printer is plugged into the wall the printer is still pulling power and thus holding onto something in memory. Draining the power causes the printer to release that memory and reset itself.

This technique will work for me every now and then. Its not really a solution to anything but it does let you get your work done.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MaCandis Boutique
Message 8 of 36 (1,139 Views)

I too am having problems with this! We purchased 2 printers and i wanted to use only this 1 as it was supposed to be able to do everything we needed! However, it stays in power save mode. Please let me know what we can do to fix this problem.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 9 of 36 (1,139 Views)

It certainly sounds like a firmware bug. I'd call it in to your local support line, even if all they do is get you to do the power cord reset, at least it will go on the statistics. The more reports they get the more likely they are to do something about it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jsabin
Message 10 of 36 (1,139 Views)

Mine also has the same powersave problem. I've tried all of the reset tricks and it always goes back to the same problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
spamrestricted
Message 11 of 36 (1,134 Views)

I wish I read this thread/forum before I bought this printer as I am dealing with the same issue. HP should recall this printer, since I just got off with support and they claim there is no fix and it is a bug. :(
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 12 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Once upon a time... in years gone by, this site, the ITRC (or maybe it was this forums subsection) actually won some sort of award for being "best user support site *EVAH*". And you could see why - there were HP people on all the forums, responding to issues like this (in an informal way, but responding) and in a few cases I can recall, the forum discussion appeared to trigger an official response (as in a firmware or software version came out that fixed whatever problem it was).

Sadly, it would appear those days are past. The OJ 4500 has been on the pricelist for must be a year now, support call centres know about it, and... nada. So sad, but I suppose everyone is making printers cheaper and cheaper and therefore crappier, and if problems like this crop up who has time to fix them? Too busy developing the next generation of disposable technology. "Sorree for you, chuck it & get a new one".

Sigh.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 13 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
spamrestricted
Message 14 of 36 (1,134 Views)

That's the best solution I've seen so far -- ROTFL. But all kidding aside, I actually got more help from this site then from HP's support - to be honest, I think HP support also uses this site. I've tried holding the # & 6 keys while plugging it in - supposably it will turn off the power save feature. The 1 key worked for me & takes out of power save mode, but I didn't buy a wireless printer to be near the printer :(
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 15 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Hey - # and 6 you say - that's the most useful suggestion (that is to say, *only* suggestion) I've had. Where did you find that, in the manual? (I'm allergic to RTFM, I'm afraid, as far as I'm concerned it applies to users, not me)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
spamrestricted
Message 16 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Definitely NOT the manual or support, but actually from this same forum. If you do a search on officejet 4500 power save mode, you will see almost everyone has the same issue. Below is the link to the one where it talked about the # & 6.. I also saw some that said # & 3 and # and 9 - but mostly # & 6 - don't know if it will work yet, just set it - but I'll do anything to get this broken power save mode off permenantly. If this doesn't work, I'm definitely returning it and will avoid HP products -- since the laptop I bought from them - vista 64bit (yikes) just freezes up, too.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/HP-Officejet-4500-G510n-freezes-in-quot...
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 17 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Thanks, Spammy - seems I used the wrong keywords when looking for a solution, cause I did search and I did not find!

Cheers, mate, hope you find your solution.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 18 of 36 (1,134 Views)

OK I see the thread you refer to started after I started this post.

So what's that other site all about, then. Have HP duplicated the support forums? The company is too damn big, it constantly looks like the left hand knoweth not what the right hand doeth.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 19 of 36 (1,134 Views)

That other forum is for your average consumer, whereas the ITRC is intended for IT Professionals. People on the ITRC are likely to help themselves and discover solutions where people on the consumer support forums are not.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 20 of 36 (1,134 Views)

Aah I see - at least, I see the motivation, but it does look like it could lead to a lot of duplication of effort... ;-(
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stephanie Lefebvre
Message 21 of 36 (1,134 Views)

So, we've had the same problem and my mom didn't know that I figured it out a while back. Basically if you want your printer to come out of Powersave mode press the "0" key 2-4 times. Honestly I can't tell you how many times because I just hit it until it works. I didn't realize there were so many other people having the same problem. I just fiddled with it for a while until something worked. Hope it helps!

Steph
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mgtate
Message 22 of 36 (1,134 Views)

I just bought this machine, and set it up on wireless. I had the same problem as all of you. I tried #6 as the one post said, but it did not solve the problem. So, I tried switching over to USB instead of wireless, and it works like a champ. Sending a document to the printer or receiving a fax both wake the machine up from Power Save Mode. In my case, it isnt etched in stone that I run it in wireless mode, however, I realize that that is not the case with some or all of you out there. I still believe HP should fix this problem, and if they ever do I will probably switch to wireless,but in the short term this fix worked for me.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Greyhame
Message 23 of 36 (1,134 Views)

I have the same problem....it scans though or seems to buzz or do something but the scan does not save. The printer is definitely un operable with out unplugging it ....
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Greyhame
Message 24 of 36 (1,134 Views)

I tried contacting HP but no one would come on line...Any one know how to disable power save on this unit??

Or should I just return it?
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Chris Bedford
Message 25 of 36 (1,134 Views)

I don't think you can!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation