Re: OJ 6500 shows as "offline" on a shared computer (314 Views)
Occasional Visitor
SusanSayl
Message 1 of 3 (597 Views)

OJ 6500 shows as "offline" on a shared computer

I have an Officejet 6500 E709n that is directly connected to a Windows 7 64x Home Premium desktop. The printer prints perfectly fine from that computer. Then I have another Windows 7 64x Home Premium desktop that is connected to the network and is joined in the Homegroup with the first computer.  The printer is selected to share and it does show up on the 2nd computer as being there. When I try to print from the 2nd computer though, the documents get sent to the printer que, but it shows the printer as "Offline", so nothing prints.  When I go open the printer que, click Printer, the "Use Printer Offline" option is not there, as it is on the 1st computer. 

Any help in fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Occasional Advisor
KimuOS
Message 2 of 3 (393 Views)

Re: OJ 6500 shows as "offline" on a shared computer

Hi SusanSayl,

I found a few possible solution from Win7 forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/7fdd1716-e43f-4b68-8074-e7...

Possible solution 1:

Turn off SNMP

1) Open the printer queue on the print server or the machine where the printer is a "local" printer.  
2) Printer->properties
3) Ports  (this is for a network printer so you should have a standard TCP/IP)
4) Highlight the port for your printer
5) Configure port
6) Turn off SNMP status

Possible solution 2:

Turn off Bidirectional Support:

1) right-click on your printer icon in the control panel and select Printer Properties

2) select the Ports tab, and remove the checkmark next to Enable Bidirectional Support.

**Disclaimer: This is not the perfect solution because I will not get the notifications from my printer when the printer is out of paper or when a particular toner cartridge is low, etc.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kimu

===================================================

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Occasional Visitor
Howdy
Message 3 of 3 (314 Views)

Re: OJ 6500 shows as "offline" on a shared computer

Try to manually set printer IP address (example 192.168.1.149). Leave it on manual. Then in control panel on PC, go to printer properties, ports. Select standard TCP/IP and set "Name and IP address" to the same IP you manually set printer to (192.168.1.149). This should work, however you may have to reserve port on router for printer too.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.