OFFICEJET 6500 WIRELESS PROBLEMS (222 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sailor_Mike
Message 1 of 3 (222 Views)

OFFICEJET 6500 WIRELESS PROBLEMS

I have an OfficeJet 6500, and am having innumerable problems with printing and scanning.

Often, although I can contact the printer wirelessly, the print utility says the printer is offline.

Almost all the time, when I try to scan from the HP Scan app, the app can't see the scanner. Right now, the only way I can scan anything is  as a test scan under the HP Printer and Scan Doctor utility.

I have also noticed that when I have the printer drivers installed, MS Word 2010 crashes regularly, sometimes as often as every ten seconds.

I have run HP Print and Scan Doctor innumerable times, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software at least a dozen times. I have also contacted HP for help, but nothing has ever worked consistently.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, and Office 2010 Pro.

I have three HP wireless printers, and one Brother wireless laser printer. I am so frustrated, I am about to trash all three HP printers and try some other brand.

Does any one have any ideas how I could fix this problem once and for all?

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 3 (220 Views)

Re: OFFICEJET 6500 WIRELESS PROBLEMS

Can you scan from other applications besides the HP Scan app?  For example Paint can conduct basic scanning and document creation.  If the problem is only with the HP Scan app then reinstall.

If the problem is for all apps then there is most likely a connection problem.  Try connecting the OJ6500 over an Ethernet Cable to your router instead of WiFi.  If the problem is resolved then it is a wireless issue, otherwise there is a problem between your printers and your router.

You can always try rebooting your router or swapping the router out with a buddies to see if it resolves the problem too.  Perhaps your current router cannot handle all of the wireless printer connections that you have at the same time and needs to be upgraded.  Shoot us your router model number if you want us to check.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Visitor
Sailor_Mike
Message 3 of 3 (207 Views)

Re: OFFICEJET 6500 WIRELESS PROBLEMS

John:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Paint keeps trying to scan from a printer which is not currently connected (HP5510) and I can't convince it to find the 6500.

As for your other ideas, I've tried them all, including using different routers, rebooting the router, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and software, downloading the most recent version of the software and drivers, etc. Generally speaking, except in the most unusual of circumstances, I only have one printer turned on at a time.

To me, it appears to be an unresolved a software/firmware problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.