Multifunction Machine With Serever 2008 R2 Support For Scanning (146 Views)
Collector
Sullivan1955
Message 1 of 2 (146 Views)

Multifunction Machine With Serever 2008 R2 Support For Scanning

I am currently trying a to replace a broken officejet 4500 multifunction copier, fax, scanner machine that is used in a virtualized Server 2008 R2 environment over a network connection. I have found most multi fuction machines will print just fine using windows 7 drivers, however scanning over the network is often not compatible. Does any one know of any multifuction machines that would fit the bill? It appears the 4620 does not have 2008 R2 listed as a compatible OS.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 2 (133 Views)

Re: Multifunction Machine With Serever 2008 R2 Support For Scanning

OfficeJets are not designed to be fully compatible with Print Servers.  They are more intended for home office users so it doesnt surprise me that network scanning from a server is not supported.  I'd bet only UPD's are available which cover only printing.

If you only have to worry about a few computers then you should install the scanning software for the OS on your computers and set it up as a new network connection.  That way the scan drivers will be loaded and ready to go when you point it to your networked printer.  Launch a scanning application like the one from HP or the defaults from your OS to conduct network scanning.  If you still want print to go through the print server then modify the printing object to go through that device instead.

For more computers you will need to set up either the Scan to Folder or Scan to Email feature.  This will allow users to scan directly from the printer without installing software on thier machines.  To do this you will need to sign into the Embedded Web Server and configure the Scan to Folder/Email feature from there.  The EWS is accessed by typing in the IP Address of the printer into a web browser.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation