M425dw - turning off WiFi, doesn't turn off WiFi (338 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Meilink
Message 1 of 5 (338 Views)
Accepted Solution

M425dw - turning off WiFi, doesn't turn off WiFi

Hi,

We have a Laserjet M425dw in one of our offices. Runs fine, only we want to turn off WiFi because we use a cable to connect it to our network/printer server.

We have turned off WiFi but it keeps broadcasting its SSID, this is a major security risk, someone could hack its way into the printer and from there, into our company network, wich we do not want.

Updated it to the latest firmware doesn't help, its still broadcasting its SSID. If I set this setting to 'Off' I want it to turn physically Off!

Been thinking if it would help to put firmware for a 425dn in it, as those don't have a WiFi module, don't know if this will kill the printer though.

Other solution is to return this printer and get a 425dn instead (we already have about 10 of those running in our company, total amount of printers we have running is 86, 90% of wich are HP).

Any thoughts?

www.meilinkgroep.nl Industrial Packaging
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (325 Views)

Re: M425dw - turning off WiFi, doesn't turn off WiFi

Seems strange the WiFi is not disabling when you are configuring it to.

The best work around woudl be to locate the wireless adapter in on the printer and disable or remove it.  It should be a small board or chip on the formatter with an antenna.  Cant broadcast and SSID if there is no hardware to support it!

Otherwise you might want to report this directly to HP and see if they have a fix for you.  Your printer should still be new enough to be covered under the warranty and a feature like this should work the way you expect it to.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Advisor
Meilink
Message 3 of 5 (319 Views)

Hi John, thanks for you're reply! The printer is indeed brandnew, only 2 weeks old

We've managed to kill the SSID broadcast by doing the following.

Go to the Networks tab and click on the Wireless Direct thingy in the left menu, change the SSID to anything you wan't and then select Off in the dropdown menu above the SSID field.

Disclaimer: printer language is set to Dutch, so I hope I have the Tab and Menu name's correct

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 5 (313 Views)

Be aware that disabling the SSID does not necessarily stop your printer from broadcasting a wireless signal.  Instead your network name will be hidden.  Those snooping your air waves will be able to detect the printer and connect to it with the correct credentials.

You can see the wireless network yourself with a spectrum analyzer tool:

http://www.flukenetworks.com/ppc/wifi-software/wifi-analyzer?ls=gppc&lsd=wifi_analyzer_competition_u...

or

http://www.inssider.com/

If you truely want to clean up your airwaves then disabling the WiFi signal completely is the only option.  Various operating systems will detect these networks as Unknown or Other Network and prompt users to enter the SSID and Password to connect.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Advisor
Meilink
Message 5 of 5 (304 Views)

Thanks for replying!

I've scanned with multiple WiFi scanning software and can't find the SSID, I've tried WiFi Analyzer and WiTuners WiFi Console on my Android phone and Xirrus' WiFi Inspector on a laptop. Placed the laptop almost next to the printer and couldn't find the SSID being broadcasted, I would say this one is solved

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.