M2727nf Toolbox FX won't run on Win7 system (1062 Views)
Collector
AmbassadorDave
Message 1 of 4 (1,062 Views)

M2727nf Toolbox FX won't run on Win7 system

I'm running into an issue with the HP M2727nf software on a Windows 7 system.

Using the 5.2 version of the full software, the initial installation appeared to work fine. However, trying to use the Scan To button on the printer failed with no file saved to the PC, despite the window popping up on the PC showing received data.

I searched through the forums here and saw the HP Print and Scan Doctor recommended. I downloaded and tried that and saw a WIA service issue. The 'Doctor' recommended uninstalling and reinstalling the full software package, which I did.

Now, the printer works fine but Toolbox FX will not run. Double clicking on it manually appears to do nothing.

Printing works from the system, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times. Running the Print and Scan Doctor right after an installation shows the HP Scan having an error and suggesting a reboot. Upon rebooting, the 'Doctor' then shows a WIA error along with the same HP Scan error, recommending another uninstall/reinstall.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or help here, it would be nice to have the Toolbox FX and Scan To options working.

Thanks,

Dave

Collector
AmbassadorDave
Message 2 of 4 (1,048 Views)

Re: M2727nf Toolbox FX won't run on Win7 system

[ Edited ]

I've tried a number of additional things to get this working on my Windows 7 Home Premium system:

Downloaded the 5.2 drivers again to verify I did not have a corrupted copy. Nothing different.

Tried reinstalling using Vista compatibility settings. That didn't do it.

I've disabled Kaspersky and run the uninstall and reinstall routine. Nada.

Followed the "I DONT WANT IT TO FAIL" set of instructions from out-of-warranty Technical Support and Solutions in their Three Ways to Uninstall and Reinstall Hewlett-Packard Printer/Scanner Software. This includes using the HP 'scrubber' included with the full software. Sadly, it failed.

Based on that I started searching through the registry for "m2727" and "Hewlett". I removed just about everything that wasn't directly in a key that was a long string of numbers (admittedly, that leaves a lot of HP crap in the registry, but I'm out of my depth pulling it out). No luck.

I installed CCleaner and ran it a few times. Didn't help.

I searched through the C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\sysWOW64 directories and removed HPxxxxx.xxx files. Again, no change on the reinstall.

I checked the C:\Users\username\AppData directory and removed HP and Hewlett-Packard folders. Nope.

I found the topic Error: HP ToolboxFX on the HP Support Forum Home > Printer/All-In-One > Print Install/Setup forum and learned about the hidden directory C:\ProgramData in Windows 7 and I tried deleting the HP and Hewlett-Packard folders I found there, along with all of the other steps. Still no luck after that and a reinstall.

The "ToolboxFXErrorLog.txt" log found in the C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\ToolboxFX directory shows nothing of use:

Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:26:15 GMT;
             HP ToolboxFX - en-US

Every time on the reinstall I'm running into the same error that "Issue(s) exist on this computer that could prevent a successful installation" although there are no issues listed (screen capture attached as "HPinstallissue.jpg").

Two other Windows 7 computers work with the Toolbox FX & Scan To features on this M2727nf. The system in question works fine with a Canon MX860 AIO inkjet, including network printing.

I've got about a dozen test prints from all the reinstall attempts...about to pull my hair out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Collector
AmbassadorDave
Message 3 of 4 (1,005 Views)

Trying to make these HP drivers work feels like banging my head against a wall. At this point, I'm at a loss regarding what else to try.

Since my last post, the HP Scan and Print Doctor reported there is a new version available, so I downloaded and tried it. Still shows issues with no new method to address them.

Potentially of interest, if I uninstall / reinstall the HP version 5.2 drivers and then run the "Doctor", Windows (WIA) Scan shows as working. The HP Scan fails though. Then, once I reboot the computer and run the "Doctor" again, WIA Scan fails. Twain Scan always works.

So HP's drivers initially work with WIA Scan, then fail after a reboot. HP Scan never works. Twain Scan always works. But never the 'twain' shall meet.

And the HP Update tool only updates itself, no updates whatsoever for the basic drivers.

Two laptops work with the M2727nf and HP Scan just fine.

This system used to at least run HP Scan and allow setting the "Scan To" button. It was only after scanning an item that there was any problem, in that the HP Scan software failed to save a file on the system.

A $200 Canon MX870 AIO on the same network works flawlessly with all three systems. Never an issue.

This $600 HP M2727nf? Issues. <sigh>

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate the insight. There's something between this Win7 system and HP's bloated drivers that isn't working. Following the HP Scan & Print Doctor's advice has only made things worse and taken up far too much time.

Thanks,

Dave

Collector
AmbassadorDave
Message 4 of 4 (970 Views)

Thank you to those who have taken a look at these, I know the issue isn't an easy one. Sad that running HP's own uninstall and then reinstalling the full software package made things worse in this case.

I presume the only way to reach HP on this will be a paid technical support call?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.