Re: Laserjet MFP M177 fw scan problem (775 Views)
Occasional Contributor
johnswhitaker
Message 1 of 8 (809 Views)

Laserjet MFP M177 fw scan problem

After scanning with Scan Utility scan that appears in viewer is perfect. When I save it (in any format!!) it gets compressed so only the left side of the scan is saved, but it also has been blown up so the size is still 8.5 X 11.  Tech support tells me it's not their problem, but I should contact Adobe--sounds like they are passing the buck. Anyone else have this problem??

John

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 8 (806 Views)

Re: Laserjet MFP M177 fw scan problem

If it happens in any file format then it is not an Adobe Issue.  Adobe only oversees .PDF and technically .TIFF is owned by them too.  Scanning to a flat image file like .BMP, .PNG or .JPEG is open to everyone.  Not like Adobe would care that your scans are not working anyways, they would point you back to HP.

Try scanning outside of the HP software and see if the problem is consistent.  There are many free 3rd party scanning apps available such as Paint, Picture Gallery, Scan and Fax wizard, etc already installed on all Windows machines.

I'd think a reinstall should help with something like this.  Try reinstalling with the latest software update from HP at http://support.hp.com.

Worst case scenario you may be looking at a reload of your current machine.  Before you complete that proceedure I would test installing the printer on a similar machine and see if the problem is consistent or not.  The same problem on multiple machines points to a hardware problem on the printer.  If the problem cannot be reproduced on another machine then you know there is something funky with your first machine and a reload should clear it up.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
johnswhitaker
Message 3 of 8 (803 Views)

John,

I'm on a mac. If I tell the utility to print and then when I get the mac print dialogue I tell it to make a pdf everything os fine. I'll try and install it on my laptop and see what happens.

Thanks,

John

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
johnswhitaker
Message 4 of 8 (775 Views)

Situation update.

I installed the software on my old (2009) macbookpro. Like my imac it is running maverick. The scan software worked perfectly on the laptop, but after 6 uninstalls and reinstallations the imac still saves the scan rith the right side half cut off and the left side stretched to fill the 8.5 X 11 page. 

Any new suggestions??

Thanks,

John

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 5 of 8 (773 Views)

OK, we know the printer and software works fine on a similar machine.  Having a similar OS to test with is fortunate and ideal for troubleshooting like this.

That means that something is still messed up on your primary iMac.  Multiple uninstalls and reinstalls have been tried with no success.  Manual cleanup is unlikely since I am no expert on cleaning up the related files on a Mac. 

At this point I would suggest reloading your iMac to bring it back to a clean slate.  You would need your recovery CDs or a backup partition on the hard drive to complete that proceedure.  Dropping the machine off at a tech shop to perform the data backup and OS reload shouldnt set you back too much either if you are not comfortable with performing it yourself.

Once the machine is reloaded you should be able to reinstall it like you did on your backup laptop to get it working again.

That, or you could retire the printer and go for a new one.  Go with whatever is a better use of your time and money.  it honestly might be cheaper and quicker to just retire the old printer than attempt to repair the OS.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
johnswhitaker
Message 6 of 8 (771 Views)

John, thanks for your quick reply.

Retiring the printer is not an option since just came out of its box yesterday.

Yes, I thought about going into Time Machine and doing a reload, but that is hours--have you ever loaded a full Adobe Suite and Final Cut Pro, a whole bottle of scotch can disappear while you wait.

I have trashed my p-lists associated with HP with almost every install.

Any mac people have an idea?

Thanks,

John

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 7 of 8 (768 Views)

If the printer is that new then it should be covered by some kind of return policy.  You could bring it back to where you purchased it and exchange it for a different model or store credit. 

I hear you on reloads, I'm no stranger.

Everything we have discussed here I assume is using the HP scanning software, correct?  You could also look into using a 3rd party scanning application instead of the default provided by HP.  Granted a 3rd party app may not have permissions to create new PDF documents like one of the Adobe licensed products, but you can often "re-print" a .Tiff document as PDF if you dont mind loosing a little quality in the process.  Considering you have Adobe Suite at your disposal those applications should be able to perform the Scan to PDF feature for you too.

If you want to grab the attention of a HP Mac guy you should consider starting a new thread with your Mac OS in the title.  There are a few of them floating around but most of us are Windows guys.  So many replies in a thread tends to cause the casuals like me to overlook them unless we can tell specifically what the problem is and happen to know the quick answer.  I'd make one called "Mac 10.9 - LaserJet M177 - Scan to PDF" and then provide a link back to this thread to show what we  have already tried.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 8 (754 Views)

Re: MAC 10.9 Laserjet MFP M177 FW scan problem

[ Edited ]

>consider starting a new thread with your Mac OS in the title.

You can edit the subject with Post Options > Edit Reply

Your new topic:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Macintosh-Compatible-Products/Mac-10-9-LaserJet-MFP-M177-Scan-to-PDF/m-...

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation