Laserjet 3330 "scanner error power off power on" (3790 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ted Pierce
Message 1 of 27 (3,790 Views)

Laserjet 3330 "scanner error power off power on"

When I turn my 3330 on, the fax and cancel lights blink and the display reads, "Scanner bulb warming up". After a few minutes, the display changes to, "Scanner error power off power on. I have unplugged it about 50 times now and it keeps doing the same thing.
I have the most recent drives.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kim Schilke
Message 2 of 27 (3,790 Views)

Re: Laserjet 3330 "scanner error power off power on"

Does ther error have a number before it (52)?
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kim Schilke
Message 3 of 27 (3,790 Views)

From what the manual says, if you power it off for 30 seconds and try another power source and the problem persist, you have to replace the scanner assembly.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ted Pierce
Message 4 of 27 (3,790 Views)

There is not number associated with it. "Scanner error" is at the top the display and "Power on Power off" scrows on the 2nd line.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kim Schilke
Message 5 of 27 (3,790 Views)

Then my second posting should resolve the issue.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michał Moniuszko
Message 6 of 27 (3,790 Views)

Welcome.

I had this problem to. In forums in Poland people writes:
"You must clean all mirrors and glass in scaner, but problem always return, quicker or later".
I have cleaned every mirror (five!!!) and glass. Error appears sometimes, but appears seldom.

Write, if You now better manner.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
G.L. Horton
Message 7 of 27 (3,790 Views)

I will never purchase another HP 3330 or any other printer they sell... They are junk... Canon, Epson, anything but Hewlett Packard.... We have all HP COMPUTERS AND ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THEM but HP should simply get out of the All in one Device Printer Business....
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ROBERT SHEEHY
Message 8 of 27 (3,790 Views)

I have had this problem off and on for over a year. I have tried everything and nothing appears to be permanent. I have cleaned, I have updated, I have switched power sources, etc. I keep waiting for someone from HP to give some official guidance, but there is nothing but silence. I was unable to use the 3330mfp for the first six months due to a lack of drivers for the Mac (even though it was advertised as supporting it). The reliability during the last year has been absolutely terrible. I'm fed up with it. I think it is time to donate this piece of junk to the local military base to use for target practice. I am also switching to something other than HP for printers/mfps. If you do a search on the web for the scanner issue, you will see that there are a large number of people having the same problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ROBERT SHEEHY
Message 9 of 27 (3,790 Views)

Follow this link: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/38169

Seems to work for now:

Re: HP3330 - How to Clean Scanner Mirrors by DNicol (6/24/06 7:19 AM) reply + / -
I've been having the same problem. I fixed it (for now) by cleaning the mirrors with no disassembly required. Here are the steps:

Power on the printer, wait around 15 seconds until the bulb assembly moves a bit to the left and the light goes on, then immediately power off.

Repeat the process around 15 times (or more) until the assembly has moved all the way to the left of the glass, and is located directly beneath the small glass on the left.

Remove the single screw that holds down the small glass.

Carefully remove the grey frame around the small glass.

Carefully remove the small glass.

Using a dry Q-tip, carefully insert it into the slot (to the left of the bulb) and clean the mirror. I found mine was coated with a layer of film, as if grease had accumulated over time.

Put everything back together.

Turn on the printer.

Worked for me!

Re: Re: HP3330 - How to Clean Scanner Mirrors by healthup (12/2/06 1:07 AM) reply + / -
Just do as what you said. It works.
Wonderful!
Thank you very very much!

Re: HP3330 - How to Clean Scanner Mirrors by Talondale (12/29/06 6:37 AM) reply + / -
Rather than do the power cycle routine to move the mirror to the left you can just power off the machine, remove small glass cover, use belt to advance the mirror all the way to opening (you may need some needle nose pliers to move that last inch). The "grinding" people are reporting is a gear bind as the assembly tries to find "home" but because of the dirty mirror it can't sense that it has reached the end of the travel and so you have gear stripping.

Re: HP3330 - How to Clean Scanner Mirrors by Stephen (12/29/06 6:48 AM) reply + / -
WHy not move the scanner most of the way with the belt, then power on the machine and let it finish moving the scanner to the left? (pull the plug after the scanner moves left or it will go all the way back to the right.

Re: HP3330 - How to Clean Scanner Mirrors by Elizabeth Hammond (1/28/07 8:59 PM) reply + / -
This advice was perfect. I removed the small glass on the left, moved the scanner assembly to the opening, cleaned the mirror with a Qtip and it is fixed!! I was mentally preparing myself for a huge repair bill because it was repeatedly making that horrible gear stripping noise. Then it wouldn't work at all, giving me scanner errors and telling me to power off power on. I can't believe it was fixed with a dry Qtip! Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Katie Pedersen
Message 10 of 27 (3,790 Views)

I am so happy to have stumbled across this forum and this issue. I have been struggling with this for quite some time and recently was looking at swapping out my printer but it looks like this has done the trick. Granted, it has only been a little while...5 minutes but I have already scanned and copied something and it is not grinding any more. Yeah. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fermin Tio
Message 11 of 27 (3,567 Views)

Tried out the steps that Robert Sheehy pointer out on cleaning the mirrors and it worked out great. We had been having the same issues with our 3330 for about six months. We at least now know how to fix the issue if it ever occurs again.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
June Feigelman
Message 12 of 27 (3,567 Views)

I had the exact same problem and resolved it by cleaning theh mirror too! My question is why is HP keeping this info a secret. It should be included on their support site
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 27 (3,567 Views)

HP has always had a rule. If the work requires a screwdriver, then a technician has to do the repair. If you notice newer maintenance kits do not require a screwdriver and tube assembly replacments on new plotters also do not require a screwdriver. Also since this is not the hp recommeded repair method for this item you will never see it posted on their site, only on forums and repair boards
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stanley Tomlinson
Message 14 of 27 (3,567 Views)

I've had the 3330 for 3 years and it has been great. When this recent problem started I thought "well, time to swap it in." Glad I checked here first.

It took about 5 min to follow the suggestion of cleaning the mirror. After powering on the mirror returned to its normal position and I received a Ready light in less than a minute. It's like new.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ackers
Message 15 of 27 (3,567 Views)

I can only echo everyone's comments - this was a total life saver - plus my husband now thinks I'm technical ;-) thanks a million for great advice and really clearly expressed.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Debra Ison
Message 16 of 27 (3,567 Views)

Wow, thanks so much for the advice posted here. i have followed the instructions and seems like the problem is fixed. My 17 year old son will NEVER believe his mother has been able to do this. Maybe my cool factor will go up a bit!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Timothy Burgess
Message 17 of 27 (3,567 Views)

Thanks for the advise on how to fix the grinding problem. 1) I initiated the lamp and unpluged the unit in order to move the scanner apparatus. 2) I removed the glass plastic frame and small glass plate. 3) I manualy pulled the pully drawing the scanner lamp completely to the left until it was directly below the opening of the small glass panel. I cleaned the mirror through the slot at the left of the lamp. Put it back together and the HP 3330 is back in action.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gerri Bara
Message 18 of 27 (3,567 Views)

Having just been more or less forced to buy a new car (vs. spending more than $1200 for necessary repairs on my old RAV4), I was close to going out and buying a new all-in-one copier/printer/scanner. It was not turning out to be a happy new year.

THANK YOU, all, for sharing the glass cleaning secret on this site. We just followed the process and it works!

Such a simple and fast solution for such a frustrating problem. Wish I'd kept a log book on # of times I unplugged my HP 3330 and plugged it back in. Or maybe not. Sigh.

Anyway, try this solution - it works! :-)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tammy Fenstermaker
Message 19 of 27 (3,567 Views)

Thank-you Robert!!!!!
I was not ready to buy a new printer! The cleaning tip worked like a charm.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Davor Kekez
Message 20 of 27 (3,567 Views)

i try a lot of things and it doesnt work. on the end i repare by my self. electronic board where is ccd camera has a bad position.just 2 scew keep this board on right place. when you find again good position the voicewhat yxou hear is change
in good ritam.c c c c.and scanner will work.you must do that very slow and very gentl.whole mistake od scanner is that ccd camera cant see a bulb and canot give a signal to microprocessor " light is ok"
so move board with ccd camera and when you find good position (1 milimetar around up or down, left or right)you can hera that terible sound change and got ritam .that is ok. if somebody need more explane ,writte to me ona my mail a can send a photo about it. HP is good machine but very bad producer work.like in china shop. My hp 3330 work again. Greatings from Croatia!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Tortell
Message 21 of 27 (3,431 Views)

thanks VERY much Robert. Seemed way to easy. I think I'll get in the printer/copier repair business. By the way, Standing in front of my 6 year old 3330 machine the slot for mirror is on the RIGHT side of bulb. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
hany sheir
Message 22 of 27 (3,431 Views)

wawoooooooooooooooooooo i make it and it is solved
thanks for all member
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DAVID MILTON
Message 23 of 27 (3,431 Views)

That really works, thanks. Cleaning the scanner bulb. i went over the steps of powering off the machine about 15 time until it reach the left side, it was not that bad doing it that way and i think it safe too.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michel Boux
Message 24 of 27 (3,431 Views)

Ok Robert, it works great for me!
many thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michel Gofman
Message 25 of 27 (3,431 Views)

Excellent, thank you !!!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation