LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable (2424 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 26 of 67 (1,190 Views)

Re: LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable

[ Edited ]

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

First of all Thanks a lot for your ongoing efforts in this case.

It is interessting, that you still get calls from the manager, who obvioulsy cares more for closing then solving the situation. Returning to W7 is clearly no option, using USB instaed of Lan is a bad joke in any office environment. Of course, both suggestions solve the fax-problem, but anybody in the IT-Business knows, that software has to be updated to work with the actual OS.

The one explanation that makes sense to me is the idea of stopping the production from our printer. The successor clearly will support W8, but the stupid people, who have bought the old hardware are out of the game. Definitively  theit fault, whey did they rely on HP ?

So your idea of returning the printer is not too bad. In case you need the fax-capatibilities badly it might be your only choice, as I do not see much hope any more. HP will abondon this Laser-Jet (and its software) and simply introduce a new printer, surely no money will be invested in the old software.

Regrads

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 27 of 67 (1,162 Views)

Re: LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 28 of 67 (1,115 Views)

The latest update from HP:

On 13/03/2014 13:42, HPSupport_Global wrote:
This is in regards to your chat regarding the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570dwPrinter. For reference, your Case ID is 4646865779.

This e-mail is in regards to the issue with sending fax from the computer when internet explorer 11 is installed.

As you are aware, this case is elevated to the Level 2 and level 3 support, they are working on the case.

This is to keep you informed that we have been informed about the availability of the solution which may still take a month or longer time.

As you wanted, we are keeping this case opened. We will keep you posted when we get any update.

In the meantime, if you have any concern or update, please reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for contacting HP e-Solutions.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 29 of 67 (1,062 Views)

Monday 31 March 2014 email from HP Support:

This is in regards to your chat regarding the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570dwPrinter. For reference, your Case ID is 4646865779.

This e-mail is in regards to the issue with sending fax from the computer when internet explorer 11 is installed.

This is to keep you informed that we are still wating for an udpate on the  availability of the solution. Once we have udpate, we will communite with you.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 30 of 67 (1,013 Views)

Further message Friday 18 April 2014 from HP Support:

"This is in regards to your chat regarding the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570dw Printer. For reference, your Case ID is 4646865779.

We can really understand your concern and HP is working on the issue.
We check with the Level 2 support about speak to you, however we have been informed that Lab engineers are from different regions and will not be feasible to speak. Referring to New software release, HP need to do re-roll plan for all the Pro mfp Series which are affected by this issue. This is a complex issue which require time to release. "

SO.....it appears that all/many Pro MFP series are now known to be affected. This is a catastrophe for HP but one would hope that their managament ought to give some priority to the matter......
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 31 of 67 (943 Views)

MESSAGE FROM HP SUPPORT 06 MAY 2014. It looks as if software solution should be available in 2 weeks (promises....)

Ian, you are correct that HP LaserJet Pro MFP M521 printer is a Mono Printer (Black Only). This option was offered considering the time taken to resolve the issue. If you do not wish to have the replacement, you may choose to get refund as mentioned in the previous e-mail.

If you are happy with current printer and wish to wait for the release of the software, we can keep the case open and provide you update when the full software is released. It is expected to release in two weeks period.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 32 of 67 (868 Views)

Is this going to work?

This is in regards to your chat regarding the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570dw Printer. For reference, your Case ID is 4646865779.

We are glad to inform you that the fix to the send fax from the computer with the Internet Explorer is available now.
It not posted in the HP website as of now.

In order to install, please open the below link and download the utility:

ftp://pumafax:B8in}EJ9@ftp.usa.hp.com

Once the download it completed,  unzip-> run setup.exe from a command prompt if possible or simply right click on the setup.exe and run as admin.  

Please let us know the result after installing it
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 33 of 67 (861 Views)

I tried that fix and have to say:

COMPLETE DESASTER !!!

1) Installed "Setup.exe" as admin (W7, x64, german, all upfates applied), Firewall and Antivirus disabled;

2) Absolutely no user-interaction during installation, just a blinking cursor;

3) When finished, ALL PRINTERS in device-manager-printers were gone !!

Did this twice, same result. (Thanks to my Acronis-TI-Backup from the system-partition before testing)

This is hardly the solution, we have been waiting for so long. Maybe somoene else can test this "fix" and report, if the result is similar. A backup before doing so is highly recommended !!

In my case, it was a complete desaster, so let' s wait for the fix of the fix !

Regards

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 34 of 67 (849 Views)

The same with me.

No printer or greyed out. I too have had to do a re-install. I have send an email to HP Support.....

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 35 of 67 (827 Views)

A few days ago I wrote I review about the printer on the HP Store website. Curiously, it has not been published.

Additionally, as the FAX issue is so well recognised, it is surprising that HP fail to mention the problem on their support pages for the printers. Indeed, the absence of any mention suggests that probity and governance are not important to HP.

A major company that treasurers its customers would be expected to highlight the issue so that other customers do not chase themselves around exploring for a solution.

No reply to my emails about the catastrophic 'fix' that corrupted our computers.

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 36 of 67 (812 Views)

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

Unfortunately, you are completely right ! HP surely is aware of the situation, but as Fax is dying (and so is the M570), no big efforts are made to find a working solution. 

This last "fix" obviously was programmed on the fly (although it took 3 months to release), without testing and without taking care of customers. Deleting all printers from the device manager is not a small bug but a serious and bad attack. Nothing you should expect from a company like HP.

For me the situation is clear: The MP570 was my last device with the HP-logo, this company does not have my confidence any more.

Regards

Peter 

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 37 of 67 (789 Views)

[ Edited ]

Martin from HP Support India telephoned me today.  I explained the issue and said that it was very poor support. I have also received a copy of an internal email which stated that HP have got the same error when tested! 

When he run the provide file. It corrupted the printer full software. Not able to send print, scan and fax
Now, when reinstall the software, he is able to print and scan but fax software does not appear any more.
Printer is currently connected using USB cable. He tried on two computer and same issue. He also said, other people are also experiencing same issue.

When M570 fax fix program is run, nothing happned and got error "Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not 
be created"

I run the program myselft and gettting same error popup.

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 38 of 67 (773 Views)

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

This truly is frightening !

Despite being fully aware of the problem of the SW-Update, HP releases this version to you (not to the public). No warning about possible damage of the system, no word of caution.

All this confirms my point of view - No more HP-Products for my company and me !!

Greetings

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 39 of 67 (768 Views)

I note that the 'moderator' has removed the email address posted in my last message of the person responsible for the programme 'fix'. Big Brother at work.

Perhaps the message is "Don't complain, you're only a customer!"

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 40 of 67 (728 Views)

I sent an email to customer support:

"As the problem is so well known, would it not be useful for HP to post an advisory that they are aware of the problem and attempting to correct it?"

The response was:

"We thank you for your suggestion. Currently, Level 2 team is working with Level 3 team on the issue"

Which translates as HP are not going to issue an advisory!

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 41 of 67 (705 Views)

This is the response from HP when I asked them why they had not published a statement about the problem so that customers could understand that HP are aware of the problem and have spent 6 months trying to correct it:

This is in regards to your chat regarding the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570dw Printer. For reference, your Case ID is 4646865779.

This is to provide you an update on the advisory which you were referring in the last e-mail that HP did published a white paper which was communicated to you at the initial contact of this case.

The information shared with you was to downgrade the Internet explore to version 10 or below or to use USB connection for sending fax from the PC.

This issue is well known with HP and therefore Division is working on the issue to resolve with new fixes release.

Kind Regards,

Martin”

My reply was:

“Thank you.

I would not call an email message a WHITE PAPER!

Where on the extensive HP Support pages can you find a proper discussion of the problem?

Even HP must know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to downgrade Internet Explorer if Windows 8.1 is installed. Or am I wrong?”

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 42 of 67 (697 Views)

Hi ClaxtonHouse !

Good reply, with an almost decent sense of humour. That is exactly the way to deal with this situation, anything else would be a waste of time. After another 6 months they will give us a new fix, maybe and maybe it even will work. Hopefully I then will still be working with that printer, who knows.

Btw: Did you realize that only the 2 of us are posting in this thread ? Nobody else seems to be interessted, not even HP - funny somehow, dont you agree ??

Regards

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 43 of 67 (686 Views)

It may be that others are simply following our updates; there are certainly many hits!

It is incredulous that the Internet Explorer/Windows, Send Fax issue, which HP fully acknowlege to us, is not mentioned on the printer support pages (I have looked and cannot find). There is no comment in the  'issues' section within printer support. HP are still selling the printers from their own sites and there is no mention of Windows 8.1/Explorer  incompatibility....

Corporate Governance and Probity required!!!

Perhaps the 'moderator' would wish to comment? We are going in circles with HP Support (India).

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 44 of 67 (644 Views)

Email received 27 May 2014 from HP Support. I have again asked how the customer can access HP 'internal documents'. Clearly, as HP a fully aware of the issue and are allegedly still selling products that they know are not fit for purpose (LAN, wireless devices that MUST be used with USB to work with the advertised features), there are trade description and other legal issues, at least for the UK market.

Ian, as it was communicated earlier, Whitepaper for the same issue was released and it is available within HP Internal document.

We do agree that there is no possibility to downgrade the IE in Windows 8.1, therefore it was recommended to use USB cable.

The suggestion/workaround shared for the issue was taken from the Whitepaper.

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 45 of 67 (640 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nice answer from HP e-Solutions, that really answers nothing, ecxept the well-knwn-fact, that W8 and later can not be downgraded to IE 10 - Wow !!

I also would like to read that Whitepaper, which they hide so well within "HP Internal document", but without publishing an URL-adress.

I read in the news, that HP has to fire about 8.000 employees worldwide, due to bad business. So they actually have other problems then faulty software for a printer model with limited life-time. Somehow I even can understand that.

Regads

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 46 of 67 (627 Views)

HP Support have just provided me with a copy of their internal 'paper' and I have been asked NOT to share it.

However: 

The defective printer models are :

HP Color LaserJet CM1415 MFP series

HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276 series

HP LaserJet Pro 300 color MFP M375nw

HP LaserJet Pro 400 color MFP M475 series

HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer

HP LaserJet Pro 400 MFP M425 series

HP LaserJet Pro 500 color MFP M570 series

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 47 of 67 (610 Views)

Things are going from bad to worse. First we thought, that only our M570 was affected, now we see, that 7  lines of printers suffer from the Fax-SW-problem. No advice from HP in their selling documents, officially all is "well and happy" with W8, although it is not. 

What I do not understand is the fact, that this forum is not "exploding" with complaints in that case, SEVEN widely-spread printer-lines do not work as expected, but nobody really seems to care. Curious.

At least, now I know, why they have to fire 8.000 employees: Closing the eyes in front of probelms, ignoring the need of improvements, reacting much too slow, laughing about customer-complaints. This remind me on the fall of them Roman Empire, some time ago.

Regards

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 48 of 67 (567 Views)

Friday 30 May 2014:

Received call from HP Support stating the 'fix programme' does work if the HP programme suite is first uninstalled then re-installed before the 'fix' is applied.

I have asked for a detailed line-by-line detailed instruction that must be clear.

I also asked why HP are not broadcasting the problem to their customers so that the community is fully aware. No response to this.

I will keep the community updated. Pity that HP is not doing so......

Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 49 of 67 (550 Views)

Received call from HP Support stating the 'fix programme' does work if the HP programme suite is first uninstalled then re-installed before the 'fix' is applied.

This does not make any sense to me.

1 - Uninstalling the suite

2 - Reinstalling the suite

3 - Applying fix

After steps 1 and 2 we are exactly on the same conditon, we were in the past before HP published the fix. Applying the fix in step 3 is the same as we did, which destroyed the printer-device-module of the system.

So this guide is nonsense and I even wont give it a try, as replaying image-backups is not so funny.

Regards

Peter

Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 50 of 67 (543 Views)

Totally agree. Curiously, the detailed instructions have not been sent (and are not in Spam)!

I sent a message to Support:

As per your telephone call today (Friday 30 May 2014), I look forwards to receiving detailed line by line instructions for the installation of the 'fix programme'. There must be absolute clarity as to what is required. Such instructions should have been provided earlier; it is unacceptable to release something that then corrupts a system. Be warned.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.