LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable (2065 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 1 of 67 (2,065 Views)

LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable

[ Edited ]

Hi Forum !

I am unsing the above printer LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) with Windows 7 / 64, latest HP-Printer-firmware from 20121019.

All worked fine until the MS Patchday November 2013, where several updates to the OS were installed.

After those updates the HP software Send-Fax can not be accessed any more. When starting the program a fatal error message appears, which (translated from german) says: 

"Communication with the device is not possibble."

"The device is not connected, turned off or network settins have changed"

Of course the printer is connected, online and all functions (without the Send-Fax software) are working perfectly. I also can send faxes directly from the printer, so this is NO hardware problem.

I am absolutely sure, that the above failure has been caused by the mentionned Patchday. For testing purposes I restored an Acronis image, taken shortly before the November Patch - Send Fax worked - then ONLY made a Windows update with the November Patch - Send Fax failed. So no discussion where the problem comes from.

I also un- & re-installed the complete HP software package for the printer, which did not solve anything, as expected.

So my questions:

1) Does anybody else have the same problem ??

2) Does anybody know how to bring Send-Fax back to work ??

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 2 of 67 (2,034 Views)

Re: LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable

Hi Forum !

So I did, what I did not wanted to do - playing the unpaid beta-tester for MS. I reinstalled the "old" Acronis image and then executed every patch from the November patchday isolted and individually. After each patch I tested the Send-Fax program.

To make a long and tedious process simly ==>

The update to Internet Explorer 11 corrupts Send Fax !!!

After installing the new explorer, Send Fax does not find the printer, see error message in my first post.

This behaviours is reproducable !

Someone in this forum surely has best contacts to MS-people, who might help. This is not funny and I only can hope, that they fix it with another patch, restoring the functionality of Send-Fax again.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 3 of 67 (2,013 Views)

Re: LaserJet M570dn (CZ271A) / MS Patchday November 2013 turns Send Fax software unusable

[ Edited ]

Hi Forum !

Really nobody with the same problem ???

Really nobody who uses

a) LaserJet M570dn

b) Send Fax program from HP

c) Updazed W7/x64 with Internet Explorer 11

Confirmation of my problem by other users would be appreciated, otherwise I have to keep on searching what to do (although actually I would not know, where to start).

Many Thanks in advance for all replies.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Slyoder
Message 4 of 67 (1,988 Views)

Peter, Thank-you for posting this!

I was having the same problem with a Laser Jet pro M475dw, Windows 7x64, using the HP send Fax over network.

I spent hours troubleshooting this issue. When I uninstalled IE11 it started working again!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 5 of 67 (1,981 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Slyoder !

Many Thanks for your reply, which proofs the problem between IE-11 and Send-Fax.

As uninstalling Internet Explorer (for corporate reasons) is no option for me, the ball lies with HP and MS for making their programs compatible.

As I do not believe, that MS will test their browseer for working with Send-Fax, it obviously has to be the other way round. HP should spend a compatiblity-update to their software, as I am sure that they would find the error IF THEY ONLY WANT (which I am not sure of).

Nevertheless, I am hoping to see a new version of Send-Fax soon, that solves the problem.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 6 of 67 (1,970 Views)

I too have been having the same problem on a M570dw and have been having email communication with HP for a month. Today they have sent the following message:

"HP Division or Labs, have also confirmed about this issue "Send Fax From PC" failing after IE 11 Update KB2898785 gets installed on the PC, They have tested at their end on all current OS and with the above IE 11 Windows Update installed they are able to replicate the issue. They are currently investigating on this issue. Currently the workaround or solution is to remove this IE 11 Windows Update KB2898785 and Reinstall the SW after which the Send Fax From PC works fine."

Therefore, HP has confirmed a software issue and we look forwards to their permanent fix!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 7 of 67 (1,963 Views)

Hello  ClaxtonHouse !

Many Thanks for the information, you got from HP, which really raises hope, that this issue will be solved "in time".  So let's wait and see what the update brings.

In the meantime I like to wish nice Christmas to all forum-members and have a good time during the holidays !!

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 8 of 67 (1,942 Views)

This is the further (and final) response from HP. Please note that my problem occurred after the automatic upgrade to Windows 8.1 (64).

"As discussed about your concern with L2 engineer I request you to remove this Windows Update KB2898785 and reinstalling the Full SW Solution is the only available workaround or solution to resolve this "Send Fax Issue". In our lab is we are able to reproduce this issue, after they have updated this Win Update on the PC and are currently investigating this along with MS Team to fix it. At this point of time, there is no permanent fix available apart from the above workaround. Also their is no time-frame as well, as to when it would be fixed and would this fixed by Microsoft by releasing a patch or would this be fixed by HP through a FW Rollout or SW Patch, since its still under investigation."
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 9 of 67 (1,933 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

Thanks a lot for your kind update, that clearly documents, how important "Send-Fax" is to HP. 

"Also their is no time-frame as well, as to when it would be fixed and would this fixed by Microsoft by releasing a patch or would this be fixed by HP through a FW Rollout or SW Patch, since its still under investigation." 

Well, thats what I call a customer oriented company. All people with that printer (not sooo cheap), who have updated to IE 11, are left alone in the dark and patiently have to wait until HP or MS find some time to fix that problem.

God bless them ! 

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 10 of 67 (1,908 Views)

HP telephoned me today to request closure of the case!

I have informed them that there should be no closure UNTIL a proper solution to the SEND FAX issue is found. ...Informed that they will contact me again in due course.........Fingers crossed; miracles do happen!!!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 11 of 67 (1,875 Views)

HP support telephoned again today (13 January 2014) to say that they will email me when they have found a proper solution to the problem. Now it is possibly 1-2 months rather than 7-10 days.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 12 of 67 (1,868 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

Many Thanks for your kind update and let's hope, that HP keeps that promise. 

When preparing that fix, they maybee also find some "capacity" to solve the well-known problem of reprinting individual faxes, which still is not possible. When trying to do so, you always end up in reprinting ALL faxes in the printers memory, as you can not choose a single one. Of course this is no issue of Send-Fax, but of the current firmware, knowend and ignored by the company.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 13 of 67 (1,834 Views)

On Friday 17 January 2014, HP support telephoned me to 'beg' that they could 'close' the case as failure to close was 'upsetting their figures'!!

I again emphasised that the case must not be closed until full resolution (as promised) has been provided.

This is clearly upsetting the the support management and I offered to speak directly to any senior person on 'HP Support'. I doubt I will receive a call from them....

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 14 of 67 (1,824 Views)

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

Thanks very much for denying the closure of the "Fax-Send-Problem".

Something that is not working at all needs to be fixed, not neglected. HP has confirmed the problem, HP needs to update their software - quite easy for me. I buy HP-products as I rely on the promise of the brand and the support, they grant. Well, maybe I am wrong, maybe I should switch to cheaper alternatives.

Thanks in advance for keeping us up to date.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 15 of 67 (1,806 Views)

Today, Monday 20 January 2014, the manager of the person I have been dealing with in HP Support telephoned. Once more I was requested to have the case 'closed'.

I was told that it was in error that that a permanent solution would be found in 7-10 days, and then 1-2 months. Once more I was asked to downgrade the computer OS to accommodate the Send Fax issue. No chance.

I have now been informed that HP can provide no estimate of time for a solution.

I requested for HP to tell me with honesty whether they have any intention of working on the problem or not. There was no response either way to this!

In summary, HP are aware of the issue and they can reproduce it. Clearly, the matter is of no priority to them and I very much doubt that HP will work on the problem. I suspect they want us to "go away". I have declined to let the case be closed; I am sorry if this upsets their customer satisfaction statistics.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 16 of 67 (1,780 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ClaxtonHouse !

Thanks again, I also think, that your summary is completely right, nothing to add.

Amazing is the fact, that all the people, using Windows 8 and later (any version), are bound on Internet-Explorer 11. If they buy a LaserJet M570dn their Fax-Send-Software will not work from start, which, to HP, simply has to be accepted.

Not updating to Windows 8 means to neglect future business, surely a perfect strategy for HP.

So have fun and simply buy another brand !

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 17 of 67 (1,774 Views)

Today, Tuesday 21 January 2014, I looked up my case history on HP Support.

Although written in poor English, the implication is that HP HAVE provided a solution (downgrading the OS) and I will not accept it. Therefore, I am the problem!

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 18 of 67 (1,763 Views)

21 January 2014, I have now received an email from HP Support:

As informed earlier, the Lab is currently working on a "Permanent Fix" for this issue, But at this point of time, the time-frame is unknown. Our L2 Team have sent a mail to the Lab Engineer asking for an update, as to when the Fix would be made available. 

The workaround provided in the White-paper (In the HP portal) and also we would like to inform that the Lab is working on a "Permanent Fix".
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 19 of 67 (1,710 Views)

Friday 31 January 2014

Received another weekly call from HP Support to say that HP Level 2 still working on problem but status of work unknown.

Case will NOT be closed until proper software solution has been found for the Send Fax problem on Windows 8.1

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Peter_2504
Message 20 of 67 (1,700 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello  ClaxtonHouse !

These are really good news, that give some hope for the future. Somebody at HP finally found out, that selling this printer demands working software, that is up tp date and is compatible with the actual OS.

So lets cross fingers and see what their "Level 2" produces.

Regrads

Peter

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
CWEdgar
Message 21 of 67 (1,489 Views)

I have the same problem with the M475dw and windows 8.1. The helpdesk said Ii should have removed the full HP software and then upgrade tot 8.1. I did that on a clean computer and I also did a complete install Windows 8.1 (not upgrade) with the same problem.

The only extra solution HP offered is that they could help me on site with extra costs I had to pay ( M475dw older than 1 year).

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 22 of 67 (1,474 Views)

Clearly HP Support have not read/updated themselves on their own support information.

HP have been able to duplicate the issue on their own systems and are, therefore, completely aware and acknowledge the software incompatibility.

A visit will do nothing! It is a central issue and HP must provide a proper software solution.

Since my last message I have heard nothing from HP. However, it seems the more people make comments the greater the impact.......

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 23 of 67 (1,469 Views)

Curiously, as a result of posting the messages, HP have awarded me with a commendation:

"Congratulations, ClaxtonHouse!

As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank. Your new rank is Advisor.

We appreciate your efforts and hope you will continue to be an active member of the community.

Thanks!

The HP Enterprise Business Community Team"

Should I laugh or cry? I have only ADVISED them of their software incompatibility......

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 24 of 67 (1,445 Views)

Wednesday 26 February 2014:

Received two calls from HP Support today. One from my usual contact and the other from his manager.

Again requested to agree to have the case closed as "Level 2 working on software solution but unable to give timeline".

Once more I said that I would NOT agree to case closure until a proper software solution provided.

As well as acknowledging the problem, Support again asked me to downgrade the operating system as they agree there is a conflict between Windows 8.1 and HP printer software related to internet explorer. An alternative suggestion was to use a cable rather than wireless!

Support asked me how many people are affected! I suggested that if they told me how many printers they had  sold, I could have a reasonable guess as to how many users now have Windows 8.1 and then give them an answer!!

So, the story goes on......I have a remaining 8 months' warranty.......will we have a solution or should I return the printer???

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
ClaxtonHouse
Message 25 of 67 (1,440 Views)

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation