Re: LaserJet M1522nf MFP won't scan over network after update to Windows 8.1 Pro (933 Views)
krh
Occasional Visitor
krh
Message 1 of 5 (969 Views)

LaserJet M1522nf MFP won't scan over network after update to Windows 8.1 Pro

[ Edited ]

LaserJet M1522nf MFP won't scan after update to Windows 8.1 Pro

I have upgraded the firmware. Uninstalled the printer, reinstalled the printer.

All scanning options report scanner cannot be located.

I have tried:

1. HP Scan and Capture

2. Windows 8.1 Scan

3. HP SCAN

4. Windows 8.1 Fax and Scan

All these options work if I stand in front of the printer with a laptop and plug in an USB cable. However, there are six people needing to use this from their networked workstations.

ALL FIREWALLS HAVE BEEN DISABLED DURING TESTING.

FIREMWARE IS LATEST VERSION.

WINDOWS 8.1 PRO (32 AND 64 BIT) has all it's Windows updates and Store updates.

Scan to... button on M1522nf reports, "Not Set Up on PC"

How are we able to scan over the network from this device after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Laserjet to Multifunction and All-in-One. - Hp Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (935 Views)

Re: LaserJet M1522nf MFP won't scan over network after update to Windows 8.1 Pro

Scan to button will not work on Win 8.1.  The scan to button requires the HPToolbox software to be setup and installed which I believe is not compatible with Win8.1.  You will have to initiate scans from your scanning software instead of the control panel of the printer.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 3 of 5 (933 Views)

Re: LaserJet M1522nf MFP won't scan over network after update to Windows 8.1 Pro

Besides, you need to setup a network installation of the printer if you hope to use it that way.  Make sure the ports for your printer are configured to the IP address of the printer while on the same network.  If everything is lined up correctly then your applications should be able to pull scan jobs from the printer.  Push scan jobs like from the Scan to Button will not be an option if you are using Win8.1.

Please use plain text.
krh
Occasional Visitor
krh
Message 4 of 5 (909 Views)

I am able to network print on this device, and the Windows 8.1 scanning software is getting it's connection details from the network configured printer. 

Where can I manually configure the ports for the network scanning?

Which of the many Windows 8.1 scanning options, HP Scan, Windows Fax and Scan, or Windows Scan should I be using? They all have the M1522nf available as a device to select, but they all report they can't communicate with the printer. Sorry I don't have the error in front of me as I'm not at that location today.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 5 of 5 (895 Views)

Managing the scanner manually is usually a pain.  Sometimes  you can access the Scanners and Cameras area to view the scanning profiles that are currently installed.   However that utility frequently breaks on me.  Its normally easier to go through the software installation wizard and let HP find and setup the printer as a network printer.

The ports I was referring to can be found under the Devices and Printers folder.  When you access the Printer Properties for your printer you can see and manage the ports tab.  Here is where you need to have the IP address or network name for the printer entered instead of a USB port.

HP Scan is the application designed to work with your printer, you should try to use that whenever possible.  HP Scan has the advantage of being able to scan directly to PDF where the free MS scan applications do not.  You can also use whatever 3rd party scanning application meets your needs the best.  Try them all out and see which one you like the most.  If these applications are not able to communicate with the printer then no other scan apps will either.  Focus on running the network installation from the HP Software and let the wizard do the heavy lifting for you.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation