Re: LJ 3150 communication error 791 EC144 (443 Views)
Occasional Visitor
roberto formaggio
Message 1 of 5 (443 Views)

LJ 3150 communication error 791 EC144

Our LJ 3150 receives almost all faxes without a problem.

However, some senders always receive a receipt confirmation on their end, while on our side we do not receive the fax... and instead receive the following message on our display: "error received".

Our activity report reads "communication error 791" (in mode EC144).

Please advise if you have any advice to allow us to receive faxes from all senders, or to at least prevent sending "false confirmation" to those whose faxes are in fact not received.

thank you
rf
Occasional Visitor
BR739055
Message 2 of 5 (443 Views)

Re: LJ 3150 communication error 791 EC144

We are currently experiencing problems with the 3150 not sending to our Ricoh 3900L fax machine. We are a Ricoh servicing dealer and have tried all of the adjustments we can make and have been unable to get these machines to talk to each other. I might suggest you find out what model machines these people trying to fax you are and see if their is any pattern as we have duplicated this problem between HP 3150 and Ricoh 3900L. Unfortunatly the HP Service Manual offers no communication parameter adjustments other than setting the country code.

Glenn Plank
Occasional Visitor
BR739055
Message 3 of 5 (443 Views)

We have documented the problem and found it be an issue between the HP 3150 and several Ricoh models (3900L, 2900L, 5510L, 5510NF) when using JBIG compression. There are 2 different JBIG compression methods, standard and optional. These machines try to use JBIG optional and we consistently get a failure when sending from the Ricoh to the HP 3150. We have made Ricoh aware of the problem. We are able to force the Ricoh machine to use JBIG standard which will resolve the problem but it will require a service rep to do it. HP has published info on turning of JBIG completely which is as follows:

1 Press ENTER/MENU
2 Use the < and > keys to select Fax Settings, then press ENTER/MENU
3 Use the < and > keys to select Incoming Faxes, then press ENTER/MENU
4 Use the < and > keys to select Compression, then press ENTER/MENU
5 Use the < and > keys to select Enabled or Disabled (select diasabled), then press ENTER/MENU
6 Press STOP/CLEAR to exit the menu settings

Oddly enough it was Ricoh who sent me the HP publication on diabling JBIG on the HP 3150 while researching the issue. HP has failed to even provide me a location to send my detailed report on the problem after transfering me 6 times to somebody else to try to get this resolved.

I hope this helps anyone with this problem and saves you the trouble we have been through.

Glenn Plank
FaxWorld
Occasional Visitor
Shirley Kricheldorf
Message 4 of 5 (443 Views)

We are experiencing the exact same problem. I think it must be an internal setting or driver problem with the hp3150 rather than something on the other end. We receive the blank page and error message 791 when we receive faxes from the Government of BC so we have had to have our faxes re-directed to a neighbouring office that has a hp3100 and they can receive them fine. We have the same telephone lines (very old) so that can't be the problem. I sure hope there is answer posted somewhere on this site soon as I see there have been similar problems going back to 2002 with no successful answer.

I did just discover that their machine is a made by Ricoh, model Aficio MP 4500 and that seems to the be model mentioned in all the other threads about this receiving error problem.

Occasional Visitor
Glenn Plank
Message 5 of 5 (443 Views)

A firmware update for a nearly 10 year old fax machine. Just follow the above procedure on the HP 3150 and you will be fine.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.