Re: LJ 3055 no longer functions after Firmware Update (174 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Tryin2FixHP
Message 26 of 36 (550 Views)

Re: LJ 3055 no longer functions after Firmware Update

Yes, the display blinks on, then goes dead on start up. The machine powers up, I can hear it post fine, and it's ready to work, but the Firmware blew away the display. Remember, I have had this unit for a while and powering it up every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day, I can hear it powering up and know exactly what it's doing from the sound. SO ... it's POST'ing fine, then it sits there and waits, dead screen. When I try to update the firmware again, I see synchronized chatter between the LAN light on the printer, the switch connected to the computer, and the computer LAN traffic light ... so it's talking to the printer, doing its thing. The firmware, apparently, did not take or blew away the unit. Of course, its GREAT FOR HP if they expect me to buy a new HP as a result.

Anyway, that's my sitch, and I posted photos of the system above, let me know if you're bored enough to help out ... thanks Chris4, you rock!
We're sheep to be fleeced by HP!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Tryin2FixHP
Message 27 of 36 (550 Views)

Oh yeah, and YES ... the Internet is ACTUALLY good for something OTHER than Twitter, FaceBook and Online Poker ... who'd a thunk it?! You mean you can actually get work done or fix problems ... WOW!!!
We're sheep to be fleeced by HP!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jeff-D
Message 28 of 36 (550 Views)

Chris 4's solution worked great for me with one exception. After installing the Unviersal Print driver to LPT1, I had to switch the port to a virtual USB printer port under the print driver properties to make it work. LPT1 did not communication with the printer during the firmware upload.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JSimon
Message 29 of 36 (550 Views)

Hi Chris, I'm having the same issue. I tried the steps you posted but nothing is happening.

The Universal PCL6 driver never asked us which port we wanted to use (as you said in step 2). Since your link was broken, we searched it on HP and downloaded it from here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ja-452...

Is that the correct file?

We attached a paperclip to the silver prongs, turned the printer on, but it still says "HP" on the LCD. We are not prompted to download anything.

Any suggestions? Can you please help?

Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rsdk
Message 30 of 36 (550 Views)

JSimon â You can designate the printer port in the Universal PCL6 printer properties. The link you posted is the correct file. As for it not working, Iâ m guessing either you missed a step or the paperclip is not conducting. If you have one of those little push-on jumper connectors used on motherboards and other circuit boards, they work perfectly.

Chris â Thanks a million for posting this fix! I thought my 3055 was bricked. I had updated the firmware exactly as HP instructed, but got the dread â Hewlett-Packardâ on the display and the lockup. One deviation to your instructions on my Windows XP system â this would fit somewhere in step 10:

On powering up, the PC detected the USB connection and installed a virtual USB port. I opened the Universal Printer properties and changed the port from LPT1 to the virtual USB port. The firmware still would not install to the printer, so I unplugged the printer, connected the 2 prongs again on P19 (as marked on my board), plugged it back in and started it, then ran the firmware upgrade and it worked perfectly.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Barisich
Message 31 of 36 (552 Views)

Hi guys! I have the same problem after updating firmware on LJ 3052.

I have found easily P19 on board, checked if the jumper leads to the "Ready 2 Download" - everything seems to be working on that part of the restoring.

But no matter how I tried the update firmware program cann't communicate with printer. I removed many times old drivers etc. and install HP Universal PCL6 on the USB001 port (LPT not my case but tried it also).

I found one thing - when the printer turns on the unknown usb device appeared and no drivers cann't help. Tested it on the Win XP and Seven. Maybe the problem with that? So what can I do else?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Barisich
Message 32 of 36 (552 Views)

Found the solution - used 2m usb cable to connect directly to usb on mother board. But another thing is - when downloading the firmware (on LJ screen also is "Downloading..") it's randomly stops on 512 kb or 750 kb etc. and error appeared in the print queue. WTF is that now don't now...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Barisich
Message 33 of 36 (552 Views)

Ok, done it guys. Have to connect to another pc (netbook) where it was no drivers for LJ at all, installed an universal driver and used firmware updater.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
purnachswain
Message 34 of 36 (511 Views)

Same Probelm I have

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
merc123
Message 35 of 36 (443 Views)

The firmware update successfully bricked my printer.  I found this how-to and worked successfully.

Mine was also labeled P19 and not J19.  I tried to jump it with a paperclip but it did not work.  I was able to use an old jumper off of an IDE drive that you used to set it as master or slave.  It worked flawlessly and is easier than a wire. 

I also had to change the PCL6 driver from LPT1 to the Virtual USB port to get it to work. 

Thanks Chris for the post!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ottawagy
Message 36 of 36 (174 Views)

[ Edited ]

The post above by Chris4 was helpful, but following them as instructed did not work on my LJ 3055.  I needed to tweak the directions a bit in order to update the firmware.  See this post for additional helpful information: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/Firmware-Corrupt-Ready-2-Download/td-p/998....   I had to modify the steps set out by Chris4 as follows:

For #2, load the driver and  select Virtual Printer Port for USB as your port.  

Follow all of the directions through #9,  then disconnect USB cable from the computer. TURN ON PRINTER and you can verify that jumper to close J19/P19 connection is correctly installed.   The 3055 will display "Ready to Download".  TURN PRINTER OFF, BUT  DO NOT REMOVE THE JUMPER CABLE.

Skip #10 and then follow #11 - run the firmware update by selecting the printer you previously set up manually at step #2. You can reconnect the USB cable from the printer to the computer but  DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PRINTER.  

Allow firmware to complete loading.  You will see a happy face to indicate firmware has completed loading.    If you check your printer tray, you will also see an item in the queue.

Now TURN ON PRINTER and the 3055 should display "Downloading", it will then take a few minutes to complete the cycle  and the display will show "Erasing" then "Programming".  The display will indicate when the firmware update has been completed.  Essentially as per step #12 described by Chris4.  NOW REMOVE JUMPER CABLE.

Then follow remaining steps suggested by Chris4.  Note you can also put cover back on (don't forget to screw it back in), then reconnect the USB cable and continue to use the UPD driver installed in #2.

This worked for me and the printer now works perfectly again.  So many hours wasted all because of erroneous firmware download from HP website.    I am including the words HP LASERJET 3055 FIRMWARE UPDATE in the hopes anyone else who makes this mistake finds this post and can benefit from it.    Good luck.  

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation