Install a 5610 All-in-one with a Linksys wireless print server (99 Views)
Occasional Visitor
davepowell
Message 1 of 5 (99 Views)

Install a 5610 All-in-one with a Linksys wireless print server

I have had the same problem for ages. I can use the 5610 if it is USB connected to my laptop, but when I try to access it through my wireless network it cannot be found. I am 100% sure I have the correct port information. I see a number of other threads on this, but nothing that addresses the fundamental issue.
I have Windows XP Pro.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (99 Views)

Re: Install a 5610 All-in-one with a Linksys wireless print server

Dave,

Please help us eliminate the easy stuff first:

1) Did you install your printer as a network installation? - You can only have the USB or the Network install on a machine at one time.
2) Do you have the Printer connected directly to the router via Ethernet?
3) Has your printer ever worked from the network?
4) Can you see the printer from the Printers and Faxes folder?
5) Have you configured your router to allow network printing?

Thanks
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
davepowell
Message 3 of 5 (99 Views)

Hi John,

1. I have it installed to a wireless print server (Linksys device).
2. The printer is connected to the print server via USB.
3. The printer works from my wife's desktop, via the same wireless network. Same OS (Win XP)..
4. No, I cant see it from the Printers and Faxes or the Solution Center.
5. The print server also has an old Epson 1500 Laser that works fine.

Also, I have used the 5610 by directly connected it to my laptop with the USB cable. I dont see why I cant modify the port configuration after the fact.

Cheers.

Dave
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 5 (99 Views)

Dave,

I am unfirmiliar with your Linksys wireless print server. The print servers that we use at our business are more like a traditional dedicated server. This allows our users to go through a microsoft application to view and install network printers. All of our users will see the installed printers in thier printers and faxes folder upon completion.

Have you tried contacting Linksys for support? Perhaps there is some kind of network sharing option that needs to be adjusted for this printer.

It sounds like you are able to finish the installation wizard for the print server. However, you are still not able to see the device on your network. Perhaps the wizard will need to be run every time a new device is connected. Im only guessing here.

It does sound like your print server is having the issue. Since you mentioned that the printer works just fine over USB, we can only conclude there is nothing wrong with the connection the printer is making. Your print server is just failing to communicate that connection to your computer.

Give Linksys a call and let us know what they say. We need help isolating the problem to something related to the actual printer or print software. HP would ask you to connect it directly via USB. If that worked then they would tell you that thier printer is fine and to contact Linksys anyways.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
davepowell
Message 5 of 5 (99 Views)

OK - thanks John
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation