Hp 8550 MFP with scanner error E004 (157 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joseph_123
Message 1 of 10 (157 Views)

Hp 8550 MFP with scanner error E004

Can anyone tell me what this error E004 is? It appears on the scanner display panel at power on. Found one item stating that it is the fuser assembly.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ubermike
Message 2 of 10 (157 Views)

Re: Hp 8550 MFP with scanner error E004

I'm familiar with the 8550's but not with the MFP modules attached. You can try to isolate by removing the MFP & using the printer in standalone mode. Just unplug any MFP components and if the error still occurs, remove the Jet Direct card & the DIMM's. Run with the minimal configuration required and if the error still comes up then you've eliminated those devices.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joseph_123
Message 3 of 10 (157 Views)

Removed scanner option and jet direct card.
Powered on printer and it showed the ready, data and Attention lights on. It then shows (********* *. then it changes to Booting and then internal test. At this point only the Ready light is on and there is no functionality with the buttons.

Do you know if this points to anything in particular? I found one thing that says it is the fuser. But cuold also be the DC controller. Help!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ubermike
Message 4 of 10 (157 Views)

So if you use the control panel buttons you can't get to the info menu & print config pages or anything? Or just the MFP functions or network printing are gone because its no longer connected?
DC Controller won't be the problem, it comes to a ready state in standalone so the printer itself seems fine which rules out any of its internal components.

I suggest printing an event log from the printer while its working to find out if there is a numerical value related to the error message, as the E004 doesn't come up on any HP support documents and not much comes up in google either on that.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joseph_123
Message 5 of 10 (157 Views)

I have removed the hdd and got the same error. Removed and reseated the ram got the same error. Tried another hdd and got the same error.

At this point I am getting a maintenance kit and will replace the fuser and see how far that gets me.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ubermike
Message 6 of 10 (157 Views)

It might be a good idea to contact HP phone support. The MFP team is right in Boise where they make the printers and if its not a well known issue they could certainly talk to the engineers to find out.
May be cheaper to call them if its not in warranty then to start replacing expensive parts that may not fix it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joseph_123
Message 7 of 10 (157 Views)

Well getting the maintenance kit isn't a total lost as the old fuser has some ware on it. However replacing the fuser did not resolve the issue. I have a service tech coming out to eval and I will update here on the result. Thats for your assistance.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ubermike
Message 8 of 10 (157 Views)

Oz! Are you working at Sitel still? I worked there in 2004 with you, Mike the tall guy haha. Hope all is well!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joseph_123
Message 9 of 10 (157 Views)

Had a tech guy come out and tried two formatters dim set & memory and removed the hard drive without success. Is this printer a dead horse?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jimmyvcsinet.com
Message 10 of 10 (157 Views)

Yes, I have had the same error.
All I did was clear the memory in the copy module as follows:
1. Turn on the MFP with the video cable connected to the printer.

2.Put the copy module into service mode
a. press the administration functions key once

b. press the 2" & 8" keys simultaneously.

c. press the ADMINNISTRATION FUNCTIONS key once more.

3. press COPIER
4. On the next screen ,press FUNCTION, located on the top row of options.
5. press CLEAR.
6. on the next screen push ERR
7. On the same screen push OK

the MFP should automatically shut down and restart. It should then come back on line with no errors.

Note: The service mode Menu can be entered by pressing the left side of the -ITEM and the -VALUE keys at the same time
For detailed Manual below is the link:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hp+color+laserjet+8550+mfp+e004&fr=yfp-t-500&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation