HPSLPSVC service causing high CPU usage (7777 Views)
Regular Advisor
Christopher Waters
Message 1 of 57 (7,777 Views)

HPSLPSVC service causing high CPU usage

Occasionally, my Vista PC's CPU utilization will jump to near 100% and then stay there. When this happens, Process Manager identifies an instance of svchost.exe as the culprit.

Drilling down into that process reveals that it represents the HPSLPSVC service, with a display name of "HP Network Devices Support" and a path of C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPSLPSVC32.DLL".

The Windows Services applet lists an "HP Network Devices Support" service, with a service name of "HPSLPSVC", a startup type of "Automatic (Delayed Start)", and a path of "C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k HPService".

If I stop this service, CPU utilization drops to near 0%....and stays there, even after I re-start the service.

Why is this happening? How can it be resolved? The service description says that it "Discovers and monitors the state and the configuration of the HP devices attached to your network. If the service is stopped, and your network devices change IP addresses, they might become unavailable." Since the printer is getting its IP address from my router's DHCP server, it would seem that I need this service.

FYIs:
-The L7680 is connected via Ethernet.
-I downloaded and installed the "HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software And Driver" from HP's support site. Despite having a newer version (8.0.1) than what was already installed (8.0.0), however, there has been no improvement.
Esteemed Contributor
Jasdev Singh
Message 2 of 57 (7,777 Views)

Re: HPSLPSVC service causing high CPU usage

Hi Christopher,

It could be problem with the Firewall or antivirus also, they are somehow blocking this service and making the CPU usage high.

Make a proper firewall exception entries or disable them and try to realize the problem.

svchost is the core service or Windows and -k HPService" is the just the argument of that service.

Jasdev
Regular Advisor
Christopher Waters
Message 3 of 57 (7,777 Views)

>>It could be problem with the Firewall or antivirus also, they are somehow blocking this service and making the CPU usage high.
>>Make a proper firewall exception entries or disable them and try to realize the problem.

Thanks. What entry or entries do I need to make in my firewall? (Norton Internet Security, BTW) Would one of the entries be C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPSLPSVC32.DLL?

I find it odd that the problem happens only occasionally. Why would that be?
Occasional Advisor
MichaelH_2
Message 4 of 57 (7,777 Views)

try the following:
navigate to control panel
administative tools / services

search for service "HP Network Devices Support" . Service name is HPSLPSVC
Edit this service and set to "manual".
CPU utilization should be drop down.
Regular Advisor
Christopher Waters
Message 5 of 57 (7,777 Views)

Thanks, Michael. The next time the problem occurs, I can certainly stop the service and then set it to Manual.

The service description says that it "Discovers and monitors the state and the configuration of the HP devices attached to your network. If the service is stopped, and your network devices change IP addresses, they might become unavailable."

Since the printer is getting its IP address from my router's DHCP server, it would seem that this service needs to stay running--wouldn't you agree?

I suppose I could assign a *static* IP address to the printer; from the service description, however, I'm not sure whether any other functionality would be lost by stopping the service and setting it to Manual.
Occasional Visitor
Michael Döring
Message 6 of 57 (7,777 Views)

This problem causes in my system that I've renamed the printer name for the fax. After installation the name was "HP Photosmart C7200 series". After renaming to "fax" the service svchost.exe -k HPService goes up to 100 % cpu usage and the applikation "HP Digital Imaging Monitor" don't run.

After renaming to his first name "HP Photosmart C7200 series" everything works very nice!

Greetings from Germany/Cologne
Regular Advisor
Christopher Waters
Message 7 of 57 (7,781 Views)

Thanks for the post, Michael.

Since posting my original message back in November, the problem has not (yet) re-appeared on my system.
Occasional Visitor
Timothy Schmitt
Message 8 of 57 (7,781 Views)

I have been experiencing nearly the identical issue, except that for me it happens with every startup, seemingly the first time the computer is idle for a few minutes.

I have been taking more of a "shoot from the hip" approach and stopping the offending process (rather than the service). As the printer with which the software was installed is more of a secondary printer, this hasn't been a problem so far.

I am setting startup to "manual" for the service; I will also start taking the more correct approach of stopping the service; We'll see how that goes.

I just wanted to report that you are not the only one experiencing this issue. Thanks for the tips on resolving it.

-Tim
Occasional Visitor
Peter H. Mantos
Message 9 of 57 (7,781 Views)

Yup, I had the same deal with the HP OfficeJet L7850 using a VAIO loptop under Windows XP Pro SP2. I had a MISERABLE installation experience: Corrupt CD, several evenings of installing / uninstalling, three different 300 Meg downloads of the CD-Rom (2 of which would not unpack) and two chat sessions with HP tech, which were no help at all.

The good news is that yes, setting the HP Network Devices Support to manual startup instead of automatic solved the problem.

You would think that HP would address this problem by updating the program so that when it gets into whatever loop it does when the printer is not found, it would optionally ask the user if it should stop looking. As in "YES, I KNOW MY PRINTER IS NOT CONNECTED." and, ideally, a box to not ask me again. In my case, it is a laptop that is usually NOT connected to the printer.

Even better, the install program would ask if the printer will always be connected and optionally set the Startup to Manual for such users who will often NOT be connected.

Man, I buy HP for its quality and great service reputation, but those days may be over.
Advisor
James Paras
Message 10 of 57 (7,781 Views)

Hello Peter,

BTW what is the connection from your laptop going to the printer is it through a wireless connection or wired connection(infrastructure/adhoc)?

--james
be Techy! everything will work fine
Occasional Advisor
Brian_Staley
Message 11 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I too am having this problem (only with a Office Jet Pro L7580) and it all seems to be tied to another thread here on the forums. This would be the one about the HP Solution Center error "No HP devices located. Solution Center will now Close" I have had this problem since about a week ago. I am running XPsp2Pro and have it setup with a static ip address on my network. I was noticing the high CPU usage and looked it up through SYSINTERNALS Process explorer and it came back to svchost -k HPService. Long Story Short. I had probs scanning (no response to software in Solution Center) This is where I went wrong, I un-installed it and re-installed it but this time the setup utility would not locate my printer and after 2 or 3 attempts at installation I finally checked the box for install, and connect it later. The install completed and I added the printer manually in printers and faxes. I can print to it. I can ping it, but I cant use the doc feeder or the scanning solution. I can use the webscan it will give me a preview image in my browser. There is a HP Network Devices Support serice in the services applet but I Cannot stop the service. It gives me an error code=126 the specific module cannot be found. I Love HP Printers but I loved cigarettes too and I gave those up.... Maybe I should look into a new line of network printers. HP Chat was a waste of time I am a network technician and I explained that I had completed all their fixes prior to contacting them, I was looking for a cure not a lesson in basics. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if I can come up with an answer but for now I am sick of it.... **Shrugs his shoulders**

©¿© ya later.
Brian
Occasional Advisor
Brian_Staley
Message 12 of 57 (7,775 Views)

**Quote**There is a HP Network Devices Support serice in the services applet but I Cannot stop the service.**Quote*&

I meant to say that I cannot Start the service due to that error code=126

Sorry.
Brian
Regular Advisor
Christopher Waters
Message 13 of 57 (7,775 Views)

Just an FYI from me (since I started this thread) that the problem still has not (yet) re-appeared on my system.
Occasional Visitor
Ed Rank
Message 14 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I had the same issue. I have the L7780 on a network using the wireless feature. All PCs are XP SP2. I've installed the "HP OfficeJet Pro Basic Feature Software/Driver 8.0.1" and this issue went away. You can download this at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=2512010〈=en.

You have to make sure you completely uninstall any other versions of the software. There is also an uninstall utility at the above site. I can no longer scan to the PC but can put a CF or SD card in the printer and scan to that.

This whole experience was very frustrating. HP support had no clue.
Occasional Visitor
jckelly773
Message 15 of 57 (7,775 Views)

HP is offering a trial customer service program targeting loyal HP customers. The wait was a little over an hour, but the result were great.

While waiting the hour, I applied recommendations from the above threads, which didn't work by themselves; not discounting the final result.

I was asked to use the command msconfig (from Run) and go to the far right (Start Up) tab. I unchecked all the "stuff", except Norton and Symantec related line items. I needed to "end process" Svchost.exe supporting HP Network Device Support to get my PC to restart. An interesting issue was IE tried to open the IP address my HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 was connected to my router on. I closed it and restarted. IT WORKED! While the guy was on the phone, we made sure I could print from two PC's and I could reboot without ending the process.

What a pain! I hope they fund the new customer service line and put more reps on it.
Occasional Visitor
vcrivello
Message 16 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I've experienced this problem as well. I finally installed only the minimum software for the 7280 which helped the problem. this is ridiculous though--hp needs to fix it.

fyi--problems are with a windows vista hp laptop and an hp windows xp desktop.
Occasional Visitor
T Melvin
Message 17 of 57 (7,775 Views)

Just chiming in... I have the L7780 under 8.0.1 with the full software package installed and have the same problem. It uses 25% of my CPU until I kill the svhost process. (I have a Quad Core 2 so that may be why it is only 25% busy.) The All-in-One printer is on my wireless network. This happens at PC startup when the printer is powered off.

I agree, it seems like HP should fix this obvious condition by making a simple notice (perhaps, a systray balloon) when a device is unreachable at startup. Sadly, I've found HP has always been challenged when it comes to writing solid software for PC's. I've owned several HP printers and not since the HP LazerJet III have I had no issues with HP software. ;-)
Occasional Visitor
John Eggen
Message 18 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I have found that this issue occurs for me whenever I am on a network where my printer is not available. It is very frustrating. I have tried uninstalling the software using the uninstall tool that HP provides, but am still unable to get the software off the computer to install the newer version. Has anyone found a reasonable resolution to this issue?
Occasional Visitor
vcrivello
Message 19 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I"m also getting Service Host Process failure messages related to the hp software when i go into sleep mode (vista).

Faulting application svchost.exe_HPSLPSVC, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549adc4, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00250020, process id 0xa40, application start time 0x01c8a04689d592ad.
Occasional Visitor
Mark Waggoner
Message 20 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I'll add a "me too" to this. It is happening on two computers I own using an HP Photosmart C6280. One computer is running Windows XP Pro, the other is running Windows XP Media Center. I had to find which service was causing the high load through trial and error :(.

Occasional Visitor
REG1957
Message 21 of 57 (7,775 Views)

This worked for me in XP ...

Go to Start > Run > type in "services.msc
Scroll down and right click on "HP Network Device Support" service.
In the Startup pulldown menu, change "Automatic" to "Manual"
Click Apply and close
Restart computer ... everything worked correctly and CPU usage was back to normal
Hope this helps
Occasional Visitor
JOHNHP
Message 22 of 57 (7,775 Views)

Had same problem of CPU - high usage. I did as suggested earlier in previous email and that is to manually start HPSLPSVC which I did about 2 or 3 weeks ago. This corrected high usage problem. Suddenly the high usage problem has returned but the service HPSLPSVC is still started manually. THe problem has returned after the fix worked for about 2 or 3 weeks but now the fix is still in but problem has returned? What next?
I have a HPC6280, Windows XP - Home and a network. Suggestions appreciated.
Thank you - JohnL
Occasional Visitor
HPSLPSVC service causin
Message 23 of 57 (7,775 Views)

To All,

I'm having the same exact problems when using the HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-One. However, with respect to the "no printers found" error during installation, I found that the firewall settings was causing this issue. I changed my setings to allow for my Home & Work profile use Network Discovery features. This allows the printer to be found on the network just fine.

As for the HP Network Device Support, this remains to be serious problem. Even after stopping the service and setting it to "Manual" startup, it restarts when I restart my laptop using WinSP2. It's quite annoying that someone would need to stop it after every restart.

I strongly believe that HP needs to address this issue fairly soon. After 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft Support in troubleshooting the problem, I was told that this software is not Windows compliant. HP needs to get on the ball with this one soon.

- Rafael
Occasional Visitor
Cam0510
Message 24 of 57 (7,775 Views)

I'm experiencing this exact issue with my C7280 all in one printer which is hooked up to my network with the wireless connection. I have the drivers installed on both a XP Home and a XP Media Centre laptop and both are experiencing the same issue with the SVHost (HP Network Devices support) using up the CPU to 100%. but when I end the process everything is fine.

I am about to try and set the service to Manual and see if this solves my problem. However I believe HP needs to address this issue.

I found the service by running the "Tasklist /svc" at a command prompt on my Media Centre laptop and then ending the service and running the tasklist /svc command again to determine which service was stopped.

I need the full function of this all in one printer therefore the basic drivers will not work.

I sure hope HP is looking at fixing this issue asap.
Occasional Visitor
Mark Waggoner
Message 25 of 57 (7,775 Views)

Here is email I got from HP regarding the problem. I don't know what "Solution 1" has to do with the problem, but "Solution 2" is basically what has been discussed here.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. I am Nash from HP All-in-One Technical Support Team and I am replying in regard to your query relating to HP Photosmart C6280 All-in-One .

I understand from your email that you are experiencing an issue as computer takes up 50% of the CPU resources'. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and appreciate your cooperation as we troubleshoot the issue that you are experiencing.

Mark, before proceeding with the resolution steps I would like to tell that the issue caused with Microsoft Windows Update. If the Windows Update is ON and at the time of booting of the computer, this issue is appearing.

To resolve this issue I recommend you to perform the steps below.

1) Download the Microsoft patch.
2) Disable HP Network Device Support.
3) Stop the service Windows Image Acquisition.

Solution 1)
========
I would like to inform you that Microsoft released a patch which resolved in many cases. I am providing you the patch. Please download the patch and run it.

Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

NOTE : Copy the complete URL starting from "http" to "927891". Please copy the complete website and press "Enter".
Now please try to check whether issue resolved. If the issue I request you to follw the steps as I mentioned below.

Solution 2:
=======
Please try to disable "HP Network Device Support" service in Services window.

1. Click Start --> Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type "services.msc" and press OK.
3. In the opened Services window, search for "HP Network Device Support".
4. Right click on "HP Network Device Support" service and select Properties.
5. In the "Startup" type, select change to "Manual" from "Automactic".
6. And press Apply & OK

After performing the steps, please restart the computer.

Solution 3)
========
Stop the service Windows Image Acquisition by follwing steps.

1) Click on Start.
2) Click on Run command.
3) Type services.msc and press enter.
4) Locate and right click the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service.
5) Select stop.

Mark, I hope the information provided by me makes you feel happy. If you have further questions or if I can be of any further assistance kindly reply to this mail. It is our responsibility to serve our esteemed customers like you in the best possible way. We appreciate your support and cooperation.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site
at: http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Nash
HP TotalCare
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.