Re: HP7410xi Wireless Printing Problem (236 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jmillernj
Message 1 of 3 (264 Views)

HP7410xi Wireless Printing Problem

I have been sucessfully printing, scanning and faxing wirelessly with my HP7410xi multifunction printer for several years. This week, my Verizon FIOS router failed and it was replaced with a new router using PSA2 secutity. I added the HP7410xi to the new wireless network from the 7410xi's front panel. Upon entering the 16 character passcode, the printer was successfully connected to the network. The Printer also shows in my router's network and I am able to ping it. However, when attempting to print, fax or scan, the print queue says "Printer offline". However, if I turn off the wireless and connect via a USB cable, everything funtions just fine.

Is there a problem with the 7410xi using PSA2 (PSA-PSK) with a 16 character passphrase? (With my old router, I used WPA and a shorter passphrase).

I've already uninstalled the original HP drivers and reloaded the latest drivers from the Apple Support Site (HP Printer Dirvers v.2.9 OSX). This was done with a USB connection and the wireless off to allow my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.8 to discover the needed drivers. At this point, I am stuck and would welcome a solution.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jmillernj
Message 2 of 3 (259 Views)

Re: HP7410xi Wireless Printing Problem

PS to above: found forum entries re "HP 7410 wireless WPA key" that suggests the 7400 series does not accept WPA keys. However, I'm not certain that is entirely true since the printer responded with a "Connected" message and is visible on the network. I think it's more likely a driver software glitch than a connection problem.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 3 of 3 (236 Views)

Re: HP7410xi Wireless Printing Problem

I think you are getting your terms messed up.  This printer model does accept WEP and WPA security keys, it does not appear to accept WPA2. 

Check out this document from HP for the steps to connect the printer to a wireless network:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02283530&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang...

If your printer is displaying its status as connected and you are pinging it from the network then your connection is not the problem.  Something else on your computer is not configured correctly to comunicate with the printer (most likely the ports or your software glitched).  It would be easiest to simply uninstall and reinstall the software as a network printer and go from there.  Make sure you are using the latest Full Software Solution from http://support.hp.com.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation