Re: HP3055 Double Sided Printing under Windows 8.1 64-bit? (886 Views)
Occasional Contributor
dhildebra1
Message 1 of 5 (919 Views)

HP3055 Double Sided Printing under Windows 8.1 64-bit?

I installed the HP recommended printer driver for the Windows 8.1 64-bit OS with the HP3055. Unfortunately, it doesn't support manual duplex printing.  This is a HUGE PAIN.  I used to be able to print a 20 page document double sided, simply by selecting manual double-sided printing.  The printer would print all the odd pages, then I'd drop the paper stack back into the input tray and it would print all the even pages.

IS THERE ANY DRIVER THAT CAN BE INSTALLED THAT SUPPORTS DOUBLE-SIDED PRINTING ON THE HP3055 USING WINDOWS 8.1 64-bit?  CAN AN OLDER WINDOWS 7 DRIVER BE USED UNDER WINDOWS 8.1 64-bit USING A WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBILITY MODE?

This printer is too new not to have some way of printing double-sided copies and a way to use the scanner!!

I also posted a separate message about the lack of scanner support with Windows 8.1 and this printer.

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (892 Views)

Re: HP3055 Double Sided Printing under Windows 8.1 64-bit?

The HP LaserJet 3055 is an old printer.  It is several model versions behind the latest in its familiy and support for it ended a long time ago.

That being said, you are lucky that the HP 3055 is compatible with the Universal Print Driver.  UPDs are supported will continue to be so for the forseeable future, unlike the printer specific USB drivers that come by default.

Drivers and Download page for lJ3055 on Win8.1 x64:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=1140780&spf_p...

Download and test out the UPDs until you find one that works the way you want it to.  I suggest starting with the PostScript option first, then PCL5 and then finally PCL6.  You should also be able to manually enable the manual duplex feature if it is not automatically detected.  This setting is normally tucked away under device settings.

Enable the Duplexing unit (Win7 steps):

1. Open your Devices and Printers folder

2. Highlight and Right Click your printer

3. Select Printer Properties

4. Select the Device Settings Tab

5. Scroll down and locate the Duplex Accessory under Installable Options

6. Set the Duplexer to installed

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 3 of 5 (886 Views)

>6. Set the Duplexer to installed

Hmm.  I would assume this enables auto duplexing, not manual.  ??

Occasional Contributor
dhildebra1
Message 4 of 5 (875 Views)

Thanks for your response, but I guess I wasn't clear enough about "manual" duplex printing.  My HP3055 does NOT include the duplexer. 

The original Vista driver that also worked just fine under Windows 7 supported manual printing of double sided copies.  As I noted, when double sided printing was enabled, it would print the odd pages and then instruct you to manually drop the printed pages straight down into the top of the blank paper tray.  It would then print the even pages in the correct orientation and in the correct (reverse) order so that you would end up with a nice double-sided copy. 

Why can't the original driver be run in Vista or Windows 7 "Compatibility Mode"?  HP would have a lot happier customer base if they would provide backwards compatibility so that Windows 8 or 8.1 would still support printers that worked just great under Windows 7.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 5 (866 Views)

>it doesn't support manual duplex printing.

You could do manual manual duplex.  :-)

Just print the odd pages, then insert and print the evens.

Adobe reader and Word have options to only one side at a time.

For the former, you would need Acrobat Pro or a print to PDF driver.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.