HP Officejet Pro 8600 - How to Print Mirror Image (6540 Views)
Occasional Visitor
SimmGirl
Message 1 of 8 (6,540 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 - How to Print Mirror Image

[ Edited ]

I want to print documents in mirror image for use with iron-on transfers.  I have tried to find out how but all the suggestions say to choose default printer settings from the Printer Properties, Advanced tab, but I have looked at every tab I can find and do not see an option for default settings.  I've tried to go through the printer properties within Word (see attached screen shot to see the options I have) and the printer properties through the Control Panel (same options as those shown in the attachment). 

I'm using MS Word 2010 Pro, in a Windows7 64-bit computer.  Can someone tell me how to do this? 

P.S. This thread has been moevd from from Deskjet to Multifunction and All-in-One. - Hp forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (6,536 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 - How to Print Mirror Image

[ Edited ]

The easiest way is to use an alternate driver that is compatible with the Officejet 8600 but that provides the mirror image capability.  You can do this as follows:  Click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Officejet 8600 and select Printer Properties, Ports.  Make a note of which port the 8600 is using.  Cancel this, then select Add a Printer, Local Printer and select the same port as found earlier for the 8600, Next.  Click Windows Update and wait a few minutes for the list of printers to update*.  Now select HP (not Hewlett-Packard) for the manufacturer and select the HP Deskjet 6980, Next, Next, give a suitable name such as "Officejet 8600 with Deskjet 6980 driver", Next, Next, Print a test page (just to verify everything is working), Finish.

You will now have a printer that you can choose when printing that has an option for "mirror image" in the Finishing tab. 

If you want to use this driver for duplex printing enable the duplexer as described in the Vista/Windows 7 Duplex Printing Troubleshooting Guide here.

* If you get an error "Windows was unable to get a list of devices...." then see the post here for a workaround.

8600 mirror.png

{-- If this helped click the Kudos star.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
Questioner
Message 3 of 8 (6,415 Views)

Thank you so much for suggesting this workaround.

I am having the same problem with my old Deskjet 812c.

Per your instructions to SimmGirl,  I installed the 6980 driver.  I see that it does have the "mirror image" option,

but every time I print a page it comes out totally blank.

I ran the printer troubleshooter program, but it found no problems and made no fixes besides setting the 6980 as my default printer.    Still prints blank pages. 

I am assuming that the 6980 driver is not compatible with my printer.  Can you suggest one that is?  

Grateful.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (6,409 Views)

Questioner wrote:

Thank you so much for suggesting this workaround.

I am having the same problem with my old Deskjet 812c. 

Per your instructions to SimmGirl,  I installed the 6980 driver.  I see that it does have the "mirror image" option. [snip]

Sorry,  the Deskjet 810/812/820/822 models do not use PCL, they have a simplified language that is not compatible with other drivers.  What is your operating system?  If you have a 32 bit version of Vista or Windows 7 you may be able to install the XP drivers if they have the functionality you need.  Another option would be to generate your print in a graphics program and then mirror image the print there.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
Questioner
Message 5 of 8 (6,407 Views)

My os is Windows 7 , 32-bit.

I'll try the XP driver  right away.

As for the using a graphics program to execute the mirroring,  I tried it in Paint, but when I copied the mirrored text back into my Word document, it printed real fuzzy.  If I could figure out how to get a sharper image, I wouldn't need another printer driver.   Thanks for the quick response.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (6,400 Views)

The problem with paint is that the typical resolution of the image is on the order of 600x600 pixels, which would only be good for about 2" square on the paper.  You could try the following:  go to Paint an create a new image.  Now click View and zoom out to 25%.  Next click on the lower right corner and drag this to resise the canvas.  3300x2550 would be a good size, this would correspond to a letter size landscape sheet at 300dpi.

On this canvas you could enter the text, but you will need to use larget text.  For example, if you were printing 36 point font you would need to use 144 point font.  The result should be much better, although the file sizes will be large.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
lkfm
Message 7 of 8 (4,705 Views)

I am also trying to print mirror images with my Officejet Pro 8600 but the Deskjet 6980 Driver does not appear when I

update my printer drivers as directed. Is there another compatible driver currently available that will work with

my current OS (XP Pro Ver. 2002, Svc. Pack 3)?   Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (4,697 Views)

The Deskjet 460 driver available through Windows Update in XP has the mirror image feature in the Setup tab and it is compatible with the Officejet 8600.

mirror.png

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation