HP Officejet 4620 (279 Views)
Occasional Visitor
johnp63
Message 1 of 2 (279 Views)

HP Officejet 4620

For some reason the wireless connection times out and I get a blinking blue light for the wireless on the printer. We shut off the printer and restart it and then it finds the router and all is peachy for a few hours. How can I stop this and keeo the wireless on?

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 2 (252 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4620

Your home router is timing out the connection due to inactivity.  Some routers will free up thier IP Addresses if thier DHCP lease is configured too low so that if another device comes along it can grab it.  This feature varies from router model to router model but should be configurable in one way or another.  You could also try swapping the router out for a newer model, updating the firmware or restoring the defaults incase someone tampered with that setting. 

The best thing for you to do is to assign the printer a static IP Address.  That way your computer and router know how to save the connection and new requests will have a better chance at success.  You will have to record your routers gateway information such as DHCP range, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

For example a common setup would be as follows:

DHCP range: 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.30

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

I would then assign the printer an IP Address of 192.168.1.31.  This IP Address is outside of the DHCP pool yet is still within the confines of the subnet according to the subnet mask (255.255.255.0 means anything between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255 is an acceptable IP).

After your printer has been configured an IP Address of 1.31 you can go back and reinstall if on your computer with the new IP Address information.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.