HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A: "Scanner communication cannot be established" (10346 Views)
Occasional Contributor
tjgquicken
Message 1 of 16 (10,346 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A: "Scanner communication cannot be established"

I'm having a problem with my wireless scanner/printer. I'll get it set up and working fine, and then I'll leave it alone for a couple of hours. I won't make any adjustments to either the scanner or to the wireless router in that time. However, after a few hours, I'll try to scan another document and I'll get an error message that says "Scanner communication cannot be established. Ensure your product is powered on, check the connection, and ensure your network is functioning properly." The product is powered on, the connection is fine and the network is functioning properly. I checked the scanner's IP address and it hasn't changed since the time the scanner was working, and there have been no changes to the firewalls on the network either.

I've had to re-run the Wireless Setup Wizard several times this week to get the printer/scanner back working, and the device still only functions for a little while. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
keith_in_dc
Message 2 of 16 (10,294 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A: "Scanner communication cannot be established"

I am having the same issue with the ENVY D410B - anone know how to solve this

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
KayL
Message 3 of 16 (10,160 Views)

Having the same issue with Windows 7.  Hardwired to a network and the address of the printer will reply to a ping, so there can't be a communication error on the network.  The PC is able to connect to everything else without issues.  Can even print to the printer.  Original software would not install becuase it was not digitally signed.  Downloaded the software and getting the same error. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sonnyc
Message 4 of 16 (9,931 Views)

Same problem here with OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus (CM756A).  The Window (WIA) Scan does not work on either XP or Win7.  Reinstalled software and did all recommened TS tricks with no success.  The scanner will scan if you use the imbedded HP sw in the printer.  Type the printer IP address in the browser and you can scan from there.  Poor excuse of a work around.

Cannot establish scanner connection both ways.  PC to Scanner or Scanner to PC.

The Scan Diagnostic Utility can see the All-In-One but cannot establish scan connectivity.

Spent over 3hrs with TS and cannot find a solution.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
M_A_L_L_E_S_H
Message 5 of 16 (9,893 Views)

I have HP deskjet 3050, which was working perfectly with my XP laptop on wifi. Now I got a Windows 7 laptop, using which I could print, but not scan on wifi. I am getting the below error. I tried with all the utilities HP provided, but no luck. Let me know if any of the users got a fix for this..

Thanks,

Mallesh

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RonSteb2
Message 6 of 16 (9,621 Views)

HOW TO GET YOUR SCANNER TO WORK.  (WIRELESS OR WIRED)    WINDOWS 7 OR WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL

If your having problems with the HP officejet 8500a 910n Premium, I think I have the solution.  It happened to me as well. 

( could print, but wouldn't scan ).  First of all, download your software.  Download the Utility scan diagnosis tool from HP website. then run it.  It won't get past the WIA ( windows imaging aquisition ).  So, Go to start and click and type in   services   in the window provided.  At the top of the menu, click on Services.  Once opened  scroll down to Windows Imaging Aquisition. Highlight it and right click.  go to properties and in startup type expand the window and choose    automatic  .  click apply then ok  Then click start.  Then scroll up to  Shell Hardware detection  .  Highlight it as well, then right click and go to properties and under startup type expand and choose automatic click apply then ok.  Close everything, then restart your computer.  Then click on the scanning icon on your desktop and it should open just fine.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kspector
Message 7 of 16 (9,444 Views)

I am having the same problem with my new OfficeJet Pro 8500A.

A little confused by your solution....

Where is the "start" that you say to go to?  I think if I get by that I can follow the rest.

Is it in Windows (I am in XP) or in the HP software...?

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
astetic
Message 8 of 16 (8,336 Views)

I had this problems for months but only when I connected my printer wireless. I ended up using a cable at the end. Today I tried again, installed new firmware from HP (Version July 2011) and still had the same problem. I now changed a router setting and magically, I don't have the error message anymore. Probleme seemed to have been, that I was permanently using Wireless Chanel 6 - when I changed to Auto-Scan-Chanel the error message didn't appear anymore!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
HPSCAN
Message 9 of 16 (7,424 Views)

Would you mind letting me know how you change the wireless settings from channel 6 to auto scan?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kwalker99
Message 10 of 16 (7,092 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here's what worked for me:

Follow the instructions offered by RonSteb2 in the post above to check that Windows Imaging Acquisition and Shell Hardware Detection services are set to automatic start.

Then, under Windows Imaging Acquisition, click the "Log on" tab. If it's set to "This account" (with password), change it to "Local system account" and check the "Allow service to interact with desktop". Save and close.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sherry_C
Message 11 of 16 (6,080 Views)

Thank you kwalker99!  Making the change:

Under Windows Imaging Acquisition (in services), click the "Log on" tab. If it's set to "This account" (with password), change it to "Local system account" and check the "Allow service to interact with desktop". Save and close.

Worked like a charm!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
northfield
Message 12 of 16 (5,804 Views)

kwalker99's solution worked for me.
Thanks!

"Here's what worked for me:
Follow the instructions offered by RonSteb2 in the post above to check that Windows Imaging Acquisition and Shell Hardware Detection services are set to automatic start.

Then, under Windows Imaging Acquisition, click the "Log on" tab. If it's set to "This account" (with password), change it to "Local system account" and check the "Allow service to interact with desktop". Save and close."
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kyle_schwenn
Message 13 of 16 (2,997 Views)

I HAVE THE ANSWER!  I had the same problem. I was on with tech support for an hour. She said that sehe would "escalate my ticket" and have then have someone call me in the next few days. Nuts to that. I figured it out myself.

I was plugged into a USB 3.0 slot. I moved the cord to a USB 2.0 slot, and my problems were solved.

I hope this helps.

-Kyle

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MegaSec
Message 14 of 16 (2,463 Views)

For those who are not Computer savvy, and got confused by the "gibberish" above, here is the solution step by step:

on windows 7

Click "start" at the left bottom of your screen

Type "services" in the "search programs and files" 

A window will open automatically

Look for and click on "component services" at the top

In the window that opens click "services (local)"

in the right window that just expanded, you will see many files, scroll down to "shell hardware detection"

Highlight it by clicking on it

While cursor on it, right click your mouse

Click "properties"

On the "general" tab change "startup type"  to "automatic", and click "apply"

If it is already on "automatic" click on the "log on" tab next to the "general" tab

Change to "local system account" and check "allow services to interact with desktop"

Click OK

Now you are back again to the expanded window of "services (local)" where all the many files are

Scroll down to "windows image acquisition (WIA)"

Highlight it by clicking on it

Right click

Properties

Again, like you did above change (if you need to), "startup type" to "automatic"

On the "log on" tab, you got it, change to "Local system account" and "allow services......."

Click OK

Close all windows

Close all open programs (don't forget to save your work)

Restart your computer

Restart your printer

Try to scan now

VOILA!!! Problem solved!!!

Guys, this is the most detailed, step by step, walk thru explanation for "dummies" I can offer. If you cannot follow this..Our World is in trouble. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Scott Lindner
Message 15 of 16 (1,673 Views)

I tried all of the suggestions here and it still did not help.  I can access the scanner from another computer so I am able to continue doing what I need to for today.  Are there any other suggestions to try?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
showtime33
Message 16 of 16 (1,260 Views)

megasec's solution does not work and is not simplified...a good tech can simplify......just go to start and type in services.msc and hit enter....much faster...and easier...both of my services already had the following settings....This problem has NOTHING to do with WIA people!

...This system was just setup brand new fully updated win764sp1....i did try not using usb3.0 ports...nope...usb cable is good tested that...I opted to not load all the 1million MB-3 hour- download hp bloatware...i just loaded drivers so maybe that is it...i will find out...so far there is no solution for this problem.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation