HP OfficeJet L7680 - scanning errors (778 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ckoning
Message 1 of 19 (778 Views)

HP OfficeJet L7680 - scanning errors

I am fighting a continuous problem with invalid scans on a L7680. This unit will scan fine for a period of time storing .PDF files to a network location. Then it will stop saving files properly and the .PDF file being saved will be corrupt. We have replaced network switches and cabling. We have added a large battery backup unit for power to the L7680 unit. The only way to correct this issue now is to unplug power to the L7680 for 4 hours or more and then plug it back in. Once power is disconnected for a long period of time it will work again without any failures for days or weeks. The copy function never stops working. Are there any known resolutions to this problem?
Advisor
-marichelle-
Message 2 of 19 (778 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet L7680 - scanning errors

MY, this is the first time I heard a thing like this.

Have you tried doing a power drain when it does? Like unplug the power cord from the printer and power outlet then push the on button on the printer for let's say 30 sec?

Scanning requires a lot of electricity.
Frequent Advisor
Naveen Kumar Dhumale
Message 3 of 19 (778 Views)

Hi,

Change the network location and try scanning as pdf to that location.

Naveen
(points are appreciated)
Occasional Visitor
Mike Cislo
Message 4 of 19 (778 Views)

I am having the same problem I have tried all of these things and get the same results (corrupted PDF) after a while.

- Changed version of Adobe - used Foxit PDF reader also

- Changed locations on the file share

- unplugged printer (as mentioned works for a day or two until corrupt pdf's show up again)

The worst part is the scanner does not even give you a clue that the PDF is bad - you only find out after you try to access the file (which could be several days later in my case) - pain in the butt.

Is there a fix?
Occasional Visitor
rmoss
Message 5 of 19 (778 Views)

I have the same problem with a L7680. Here are the details that I've been able to determine. It creates a corrupt pdf file when 4 pages are scanned double-sided or 8 pages single sided. It always happens to me when the resulting pdf file should be 8 pages long.

Here is why the pdf file is called corrupt by Adobe Reader:
Opening the problematic pdf file in a text editor such as wordpad and comparing to a functional pdf file shows what the problem is. The problematic pdf file is missing that last bit of trailer information. PDF files are composed of compressed streams of information along with text information. The invalid pdf file is missing trailer information including the cross reference table. An example of this missing information (taken from a good pdf file that the printer produced) is shown below. If you are not familiar with the content of a pdf file, then a good description of the structure of a pdf file can be found here http://www.planetpdf.com/developer/article.asp?ContentID=navigating_the_internal_struct

Example end of file from good pdf from printer that bad pdf is missing:

xref
0 19
0000000000 65535 f
0000405975 00000 n
0000406025 00000 n
0000000016 00000 n
0000107768 00000 n
0000107866 00000 n
0000107898 00000 n
0000108066 00000 n
0000195546 00000 n
0000195644 00000 n
0000195676 00000 n
0000195857 00000 n
0000305726 00000 n
0000305826 00000 n
0000305861 00000 n
0000306032 00000 n
0000405657 00000 n
0000405757 00000 n
0000405792 00000 n
trailer
<<
/Size 19
/Root 1 0 R
>>
startxref
%%EOF

I have contacted HP about this and I'm currently waiting for a case manger to call me back. The first one I talked to claimed it was an Adobe problem and that Adobe was creating the pdf file. Since I have this problem when using Direct Digital Filing and when scanning to a memory card/USB drive inserted directly into the printer, there is no way that Adobe was creating a pdf file. In fact, I only have Adobe Reader installed, so there is not way this could be an adobe problem. But he did not seem to understand that.
Occasional Visitor
rmoss
Message 6 of 19 (778 Views)

I should also add that I have already received a replacement from HP, and this replacement has the exact same problem which leads me to believe this is a firmware bug.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Cislo
Message 7 of 19 (778 Views)

I am waiting on a call back form HP support on this now. I spent 2 hours on the phone until I finally got passed to a "2nd level" support tech, who understood that this was not an Adobe reader problem, but a problem with the scanner creating the pdf file.

Additionally, I have come to find out that I cannot scan a pdf to the memory card readers located in the front of the AIO unit - I get a General Failure. This is when I scan it to an SD card or USB. Now I can scan a JPG to the SD card, but I still get a general failure when I scan it to the USB. I wonder if this is somehow related.

RMoss - you have no issues scanning a PDF to a USB drive (other than the 8 page bug?) I cannt scan a pdf to a memory card at all - I always get "General Failure"

Occasional Visitor
rmoss
Message 8 of 19 (778 Views)

I have also spent hours on the phone with tech support. A lower level tech actually told me that "your printer doesn't support 2-sided scanning". I then pointed her to the product manual.

I too got the general failure message at one point, but I found that performing a partial reset of the printer fixed the general failure. Here is text copied from hp's site on doing the partial reset:

Performing a partial reset

1. Unplug the power cord from the HP All-in-One.
2. Wait for 20 seconds.
3. Press and hold # and 3 while plugging in the power cord to the HP All-in-One.
4. Release the buttons after the HP All-in-One starts up.
5. The HP All-in-One will now be reset to factory defaults.

There is also a more thorough reset that can be done by substituting # 6 for # 3 in the above instructions, but this didn't clear up my corrupt pdf file problem.

Hope that helps your general failure. I did hear back from an executive case manager who said he would report my issue to someone who does weekly conference calls with engineering to investigate the issue. I encourage you to also insist that it be reported as a problem to their engineers so that a firmware fix will occur. The more people reporting it means there is a greater chance it will be fixed.

It seems that the case manager and executive case manager that I talked with were unaware that this officejet can act as a stand-alone scanner. I think they finally understood that it was.
Occasional Visitor
ckoning
Message 9 of 19 (778 Views)

We have tried alternate locations on the network. We have tried a new switch. We have tried the "power drain" suggestion. All of these suggestions have provided no resolution to this problem. This is also our second unit as the first one would not even copy properly after a couple of months. As I stated previously, the unit runs off of an APC SmartUPS with nothing else plugged into it.

Still having inconsistent invalid scan to pdf errors.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Cislo
Message 10 of 19 (778 Views)

RMoss - thanks for the input - I'll give it a try.

Funny how the users on the forums are more help than the Tech support! Kinda sad really...

I have still not heard back from HP on my issue - it has been 4 days and they said they would get back to me in 2 or less. I will ring them up again to see if I can light a fire!

Occasional Visitor
JTrevino
Message 11 of 19 (776 Views)

Our office has had the same issues. There is little to no support on the HP website about this issue. If anyone hears anymore on this subject, please post. Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
ckoning
Message 12 of 19 (776 Views)

We are still using the "unplug and let it sit" method to correct this issue of corrupt pdf documents being saved to a network drive. Some support from HP on this issue would be nice.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Cislo
Message 13 of 19 (776 Views)

Funny - HP support leaves something to be desired here. I called back three times to see if I could escalate the issue with the secondary support engineers, only to get the answer that they will call me. Well.... its been three weeks (so I called again) and they still have not gotten to it.

I am losing what little hair I have left by pulling it out over the stress in dealing with HP support.
Occasional Visitor
JTrevino
Message 14 of 19 (776 Views)

OK - so this thron in my side has bugged me long enough. I actually started searching for a solution non-stop over the last two days and happened to uncover something funny. Where there were no firmware updates posted to HP site previously, now a firmware update is posted and says it was created on 7/16/2008. I installed and my printer doesn;t have any PDF errors anymore. I rescanned the same documents that were giving a PDF corrupt error message and they scanned fine with Digital Filing.

Documentation on Steps and Firmware Download:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-62441-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&...

Hope this helps everyone!

FYI - our office printer is networked wirelessly and it recognized it fine for the firmware pc-to-printer download. Your printer will be offline for 2-5 minutes during the firmware upgrade.
Occasional Visitor
Philippe Heeren
Message 15 of 19 (776 Views)

Bump!

Very nice find!! Good job on the continued pressure to get this one solved.
I will verify my firmware version and make sure I have it patched if needed.
Occasional Visitor
Chris Fields
Message 16 of 19 (776 Views)

Just downloaded the updated and the problem is resolved!

This has been driving us crazy for weeks.

Thanks to all for their efforts! :)
Occasional Visitor
Tim Westman
Message 17 of 19 (776 Views)

I have been battling this problem for a long time as well. I hadn't gotten so analytical as to determine that it was 8 pages that caused the bug, but I did determine that sticking a blank page on the end when I encountered the problem would fix it.

The firmware update is far better!!!

Many thanks to all who helped drive this through HP and getting it posted here. You have done a great service for the rest of us!

Has anyone been able to determine if this fix does (or does not) address the "General Error" sometimes encountered when scanning in addition to the corrupt PDF? I have found that a power ddrain generally fixes this issue, but it would be nice if it went away!
Occasional Visitor
JTrevino
Message 18 of 19 (776 Views)

Tim Westman said "Has anyone been able to determine if this fix does (or does not) address the "General Error" sometimes encountered when scanning in addition to the corrupt PDF? I have found that a power ddrain generally fixes this issue, but it would be nice if it went away!"

Tim- since finding this firmware update and installing it over the network, every single document that returned a "corrupt PDF" error was rescanned to test. Not one returned that error again. So, I believe it is safe to assume that the firmware update resolved that issue.

As far as the "General Error" that you mentioned, we had a few of those in our office from time to time (not as many as the "Corrupt PDF" error, however). We have not experienced any of those at all since the firmware update.

I believe this is a total fix (at least it is here).
Occasional Visitor
dgoods
Message 19 of 19 (516 Views)

Having the same problem.  Clicked the link for the firmware update and it seems to be expired.  The only firmware updated available on the HP site is to fix the printing of an extraneous page after printing the intended page.  Can anyone help with this?  

I've tried the power down thing.  Doesn't work.  I've tried factory reset using # 3 while powering up.  Nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.