HP OfficeJet J4550 (j4000 series) - Can't Scan/Fax when using Windows XP pc as print server (247 Views)
Occasional Visitor
R Fajarda
Message 1 of 1 (247 Views)

HP OfficeJet J4550 (j4000 series) - Can't Scan/Fax when using Windows XP pc as print server

My brand new HP Officejet J4550 is connected to my Windows XP (Sp2) pc via USB. It is a shared printed, which means other PCs in the network can "see"/use it. From the Windows XP pc, I'm able to print, scan, and fax using HP Officejet J4550.

The Windows XP (SP2) pc is connected to the network via wireless router.

My iMac OS X 10.5 was able to "Find" the HP Officejet J4550 under the Windows XP pc. I'm able to print from the Mac but not much else. Scanning and faxing do not work. I only get an error message saying some "communication error" occurred.

Also, when I connected the HP Officejet J4550 to the Mac via USB, I'm able to print, scan, and fax using the HP Device Manager.

How can I scan and fax from the Mac to the HP Officejet J4550, via the Windows XP pc? Will a dedicated HP print server (Wireless G) help?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation