HP Laserjet M2727nfs scanner error (4620 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Garry Brown
Message 1 of 6 (4,620 Views)

HP Laserjet M2727nfs scanner error

I have received the following error on one of my 2727s but cannot find a resolution.

Scanner Error 5
Turn Power Off then On to reset.

Recycling the power does not reset the printer and during the initialization, the scanner bar does not seem to function quite as expected, so it does appear to be a hardware issue, however the users are still able to send print jobs from their workstations.

This occurred suddenly and with no apparent cause. Has anyone had this issue and any suggestions appreciated!!
Occasional Visitor
Glennieboy
Message 2 of 6 (4,620 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet M2727nfs scanner error

Mine is acting up too. I can't scan on one of my desktop machines, but I can scan through a wireless LAN machine. I suspect a driver or update issue. I am loathe to play around with the drivers for fear of creating duplications in the registry and/or losing the print function of the 2727. I am seeking a scanner driver installation utility that does not involve re-installing printer drivers.
Occasional Visitor
Cliff Smith2
Message 3 of 6 (4,620 Views)

We have a M2727nf that is behaving the same way and it is only a couple of months old. After power-cycling, the same error returns.
Occasional Visitor
Garry Brown
Message 4 of 6 (4,620 Views)

Just an update to this issue - we've tried several fixes as recommended by HP - including a Cold restart. All to no avail!

Current status of the multi-function unit is that it's been sent to an HP authorized repair depot.
Occasional Visitor
Cliff Smith2
Message 5 of 6 (4,620 Views)

Update - After reading the posts here, I called support and they walked me through several steps: (1) unplug from power strip, wait 3 minutes, & plug directly into the wall. (2) Do a full re-set by holding down the right-arrow & cancel button while powering up (waiting for the Perm. Storage Init message). After each power-up, the scanner mechanism would do it's slow dance across the glass, making ratcheting noises along the way. No luck.

HP nicely sent out a replacement unit (refurbished) and extended my warranty by 3 months. The replacement arrived the very next day, set it up, and everything was working fine until we scanned something and saw huge streaks. Thats when I noticed the smaller glass plate of the scanner was cracked.

Contacted HP, again, and they said they'd have to get both printers back before they ship a 3rd. When I explained the impact of not having a printer for several days on our small biz, they said they could ship the 3rd printer, as long as I secured it with a credit card. That worked for me!

The 3rd printer arrived, today. Everything checked out fine. I found the CSRs to be supportive once I explained your situation to them.
Occasional Visitor
Garry Brown
Message 6 of 6 (4,620 Views)

Thanks for the additional info. We did the unplug and the rest as well, also with no positive results.

I have in the past been able to do what HP calls an Express Exchange where they send out a printer and when I get it I send my old one back but for some reason they wouldn't do that this time (even though this printer was only received in Jan 09). They advised me I don't have that kind of support?? I didn't buy it or whatever?? Not sure what they're talking about here as I never did anything different when I bought this unit from what I've done when I bought previous units, so who knows?

Anyway, I had to ship the item to a repair depot in Ontario and it will hopefully be back today. Incidentally, I've had to pay the shipping both ways, so I'm not terribly impressed with the service on this printer this time and it will undoubtably influence my decision when I need to purchase another printer or computer or server.

Anyway - thanks for all the responses.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.